Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Linux distros for kids
  • Stoner
    Free Member

I have a couple of old netbooks that I want to tidy up and give to the kids for christmas. I was going to put a light linux distro on and then try and lock it down for kids use, but then read of kid specific distros. Has anyone tried one (aracer?) any recommendations?

Or any Linux applications I should be thinking of for kids – whether content control or games activities?

Cheers

beanum

I saw this on KickStarter recently. I’m not sure if the Distro they provide is available separately?
    KANO

paul4stones

Following this with interest. I’ve just put mint 12 (found in a stack of DVDs) on an old laptop just to see. No experience of an os other than windows.

Stoner
    Free Member

The Kano is interestign but I expect it wont have all the drivers for even a basic netbook. The kids distro build needs to be ontop of something more widely used.

bazzer
    Free Member

The Kano also runs on ARM not X86 so not going to be any good for a netbook.

As far as I can see the Kano is just packaging a Raspberry-Pi in a fancy box along with some extras and making some money. Its not really adding anything to the party.

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

Qimo4Kids
    I’ve not used it, but it’s specifically designed for kids.
    Personally though, I would go down the Edubuntu or Lunbuntu route, then just customise it.

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers samj
    Qimo look sinteresting and I know that Ubuntu supports my hardware so it should work. Will download and have a play tonight.

Stoner
    Free Member

I cant get the qimo iso to run off a bootable USB so I had a go at Sugar
    http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Welcome_to_the_Sugar_Labs_wiki

And I cant say I like it. Very alien (more so than normal even for Linux 😉 ) and really it’s more aimed at the computer per child program with collaborative classroom groups etc.

So any others in from the day shift with ideas?

Anyone tried Edubuntu? I think thats the next one to try…

sharkbait
    Free Member

Not kids orientated but I’ve just put Elementary OS on an old Dell desktop for my 84 year old Mum to write some letters and maybe email. Looks very nic, seems simple to use and is pretty quick.

Stoner
    Free Member

Cheers SB, off for a look.
    (of course ideally Id run chromium on them, which I have done before – basically turning them into chromebooks, but there’s no Adobe support so some addins dont run).

I could have another look at that though. Hexxeh builds.

Duffer
    Free Member

What age kids? I only ask, as my 4- and 6-year olds can use Windows 7 for some basic things (playing flash games, searching for pictures of kittens, drawing pictures of “ultimate epic awesome power rangers”, etc.

If they can work W7 (with a little guidance initially), then they’ll be fine with Mint or similar.

Stoner
    Free Member

3 and 6 going on 7.
    I could just leave the netbooks with a copy of Lubuntu on and set them up with book marks in chrome to games/cbbc etc.
    But wanted to short cut to a suite of kids games in a distro. Im sure I could just sudo get them myself.

scuzz
    Free Member

Perhaps something with KDE, like Kubuntu? It’s easily configured to be more like a tablet with big icons etc, with the advantage of an Ubuntu ‘backbone’ & support?
    As for kids games, Python with Numpy should get them started 😉

ryderredman
    Free Member

That keyboard looks sweet!

ryderredman
    Free Member

Oh and FWIW, docky is always a nice little UI addition: http://wiki.go-docky.com/index.php?title=Welcome_to_the_Docky_wiki

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Linux distros for kids’ is closed to new replies.