Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Linked In
  • chamonix666
    Free Member

Hi,

I have just set up this group on linked in. Please join if you are interested.

Mountain Bikers in Business

Cheers
    Chamonix666

stanboardman
    Free Member

What does Linkedin do exactly? Is it like a ‘business’ facebook or is it just a trolling site for employment agencies?

lunge

stanboardman, combination of the two. Not just recruiters who span either, plenty of other people on there!

almightydutch
    Free Member

Joined it, always good to have more groups on Linked In

neil853
    Free Member

linked in is a waste of time 🙄

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I kind of use it like a Facebook for work. Some folks are colleagues but not friends as such and that’s the vague line I draw. It’s also good when you might need a new job or interested to see what’s out and about.

robbo1234biking

Small world chamonix66 – we actually share a contact!

fettling
    Free Member

Great idea chamonix666. Always easier doing business with someone on the same wavelength as yourself.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i’ve popped in too.

stanboardman
    Free Member

I have a profile set up, with a few ‘connections’ but never really bothered with it too much

_tom_
    Free Member

Just joined 🙂 I haven’t found Linked In very useful so far but may as well keep it going for now!

wombat

I’m in 🙂

Squidlord
    Free Member

I am a linkedin slut. I’m in if you’ll have me!

lunge

I’m in as well, now can we work out who is who?!

chamonix666
    Free Member

It’s interesting isn’t it? What definies you as a person, is it your job or your hobbies or family. I think it is all three and if you can combine some then that can never be a bad thing!

samuri
    Free Member

Chamonix666 is linked to three (unconnected) people I know and yet I’ve never met him. That’s awesome.

chamonix666
    Free Member

Linked in some facts….
    100 million users worldwide
    1 million new user per week
    5.5 million users in the UK
    Average user age 43 up from 41 last year.

Recruiters do indeed use it, as I do but many direct employers use it too. Linked in have 3 revenue streams. In order of least revenue generated they are:

3. Subscriptions from user upgrades
    2. Advertising
    1. Sales of recruitment tools direct to employers (not recruiters)

veedubba

I’ve joined.

I like groups. 🙂

nacho
    Free Member

Nice one Chamonix666, I’ve joined. Don’t really used Linkedin much but MBIB sounds good!

chvck
    Free Member

Also joined, I don’t use it much and don’t have many contacts so nice to have my name somewhere extra!

tonyd

Joined!

molgrips
    Free Member

So, what’s it for?

chamonix666
    Free Member

Cheers for joining guys, it should help get the group off the ground. It seems a lot of us are in business development of one sort or another so this could actually help us all!! Work life is so much about networing these days so if it is something we need to do, at least Mountain biking can be a common denominator.

donsimon
    Free Member

lunge – Member

And there’s a reason not to join. 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. I’m not in business development…

chamonix666
    Free Member

What’s it for?

Who knows, but personally I get on better with and enjoy being around people I have shared interest with. I am passionate about mountain biking so if I can use that passion in my career then it makes sense to me. Also, I suppose the key to networking is not think what a network can do for you, but what you can do for the network. It’s a good karma, reciprocal sort of thing.

tonyd

Hmm.. I’m not in business development…

Me neither, but I might be job hunting towards the end of the summer and would prefer to work with/for someone who appreciates a life outside of work. You never know what could happen….

tonyd

I suppose the key to networking is not think what a network can do for you, but what you can do for the network

Dammit, now you’ve made me feel like a ‘taker’ 😀

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Why not?
    No harm in it.
    I’ve joined.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. it links my real name with STW, which could be not good from a security point of view.

tonyd

That’s fair enough. Do you work for MBR or are you a spy?

molgrips
    Free Member

Hehe 🙂

Not averse to the idea but I dunno how it’ll help – I’m not ‘in business’ as such.

Unless anyone needs a Java developer or a CTO or something 🙂

chamonix666
    Free Member

“Unless anyone needs a Java developer or a CTO or something “

There seem to be a few other IT professionals on it already, so you never know, somebody may do.

Taff
    Free Member

Just joined the group. It’s been pretty handy so far but not as useful a tool as I thought it might be

chvck
    Free Member

That sounds like a fun, maybe dangerous, game!

BigJohn

I also joined, but now you’re all making me feel guilty for going windsurfing yesterday evening instead of the normal Thursday night Cannock Chase ride.

PS – Gizzajob! (which I guess is what half the people on there join for)

Hairychested
    Free Member

Joined in, you lot look like humans, disappointment there 🙂

cheers_drive

I’ve don’t use LinkedIn much but networking in my industry is fairly important. Without much effort It has just got me a new job and I had several offers before that. It’s also useful for finding new suppliers (or more likely them finding me).

chamonix666
    Free Member

First job posted on the group and it looks an absolutely fantastic job! Not posted by me I hasten to add 🙂

lunge

Small world isn’t it? I’m a 2nd degree connection with 3 people so far and 1st with 1.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Linked In’ is closed to new replies.