Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Lining a Chimney
  • RegP
    Free Member

Hi guys I know a lot on here have log burners etc.

We have just bought an Victorian House that we are renovating and we need to have roof works carried out. So I thought I could kill two birds with one stone and get the Chimney lined whilst we have Scaffolding up.

We are not sure if we want to fit an open fire or a log burner yet but assuming they will take the same flue.

Can anyone recommend me what lining I need to go for and does this need to be insulated as it is in a brick Chimney. Any pointer in the right direction would be appreciated?

Many thanks.

alfabus
    Free Member

We are not sure if we want to fit an open fire or a log burner yet but assuming they will take the same flue.

I wouldn’t make that assumption.

We have an open fire, and the chimney is leaking. To get it lined we’ve been quoted ~£3k… I think flexible metal liners (suitable for wood burning stoves) are a lot less money.

Dave

Olly
    Free Member

For our stove, they pushed the liner up from the bottom i think. Was a few hours work all in, from a knackered chimmney, to a lined and signed off stove. I dont know if you could use a liner for an open fire though.

You are correct though, if the scafolding is up you might as well get the chimmney looked at just to make sure it is going to stay where it is for the next 20 years.
    tie and repoint?

BillMC

I got the best grade flue, cap and register plate for our woodburner for about £350 all up and the builder fitted it and put some more insulating material down the chimney. We had been quoted lots for this.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Trouble with builders is 50% of the time they put the liner in upside down.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Trouble with builders is 50% of the time they put the liner in upside down.

Slander! Im ringing my brief 😉

twinw4ll
    Free Member

What? implying your a builder. 😉

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I’ve even seen builders lay bricks upside down.

blastit
    Free Member

Two types of stainless steel used in flexible multi fuel liners 316 and 904.
    Cheapest is 316 inside and out about 10 year life. Middle grade 316 out 904 inside 15 life, and top 904 outside and inside 20 year life.
    Arrows on inside of liner pointing up, so put liner in with them pointing up.

Lots of info online like this http://www.stovesareus.co.uk/
    They do a free design service so give it a go.
    Even if you get a pro to do the job its good to know what your are getting.
    If your builder does put it in Building Control should sign off.

brickwizard
    Free Member

Can’t use a stainless liner for an open fire. If it’s an open fire you decide to go for you might need to reline it with clay liners or some type of cast in situ system. Think at this stage for you its decision time!

blastit
    Free Member

Is that because an open fire is uncontrolled, so in theory could get very hot and make a mess of your liner ??

granny_ring

As you have the scaffolding there I would spend the extra and get the 904 grade liner and get a log burner.

niksnr
    Free Member

2 skin flexible liner won’t need insulating. Woodburners tend to be far more efficient at heating a room whereas an open fire will lose majority of heat up the chimney.

Dickyboy

Open fire = smoke from fire + air from room = larger total volume

Stove = smoke from fire + not so much air from room = smaller total volume

Circular Class 1 flexible flue liner will probably not have large enough cross section for an open fire due to the extra volume of gases to be shifted, so probably best you decide on which option you want before you get the chimney lined. Thermocrete is a good option for open fire but is expensive & if the chimney is sound then there is no need to line it for an open fire.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Lining a Chimney’ is closed to new replies.