Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Lincolnshire mountain biking
  • Scamper
    Free Member

Distinct possibility the family and I will be moving up to Cranwell.

Is the area as flat as it looks for mountain biking? Ok, where we are now is not exactly the Alps, but I at least have Swinley 10 minutes away and off road stuff to pootle around from my door step. Any options within 45 mins drive, I presume westwards?

I take it house prices are a notch or ten down from Sunningdale too 😯

scaled
    Free Member

I rode most of the way across Lincolnshire once…

jamesfts
    Free Member

Having been unfortunate enough to have lived in Lincoln for 4 years I feel your pain.

There’s a small bike park up in Market Rasen if you’re into jumps/north shore.

We used to have to drive over to Wharncliffe/Greno to get a proper ride in on anything resembling a hill.

steviep
    Free Member

The best advice I can give you is buy a road bike, very quiet traffic free roads.

kelron
    Free Member

Lincoln has a hill. Mountain biking down it may not be appreciated.

Scamper
    Free Member

So my Switchback won’t be much use then? 😆 😯

jekkyl

oh dear, looks a bit dire. Can you move somewhere else?

aleigh
    Free Member

It’s very flat there and the country roads can be a bit iffy if you come across the crazy drivers who are in a rush

alexpalacefan

And there are PLENTY of crazy driver in Lincolnshire.

APF

rossburton
    Free Member

STW had an article a while back about MTB in Lincolnshire. There’s rolling countryside to the north, IIRC.

It’s very much XC, obviously.

drofluf
    Free Member

When I spent a portion of my younger days carrying telegraph poles round there I was grateful that it was so flat. Think the nearest high ground to Cranwell is Siberia? At least that’s where the wind came from!

scud
    Free Member

There are woods and bits about. I moved to North Norfolk about 4 years ago and there is a surprising number of mountain bikers about, plus i also bought a fat bike and took to exploring and bivvying up on the coast which is beautiful (but i did also buy a road bike) so look at as an opportunity to buy N+2!

cnud
    Free Member

Apart from Willingham Woods mentioned above, the Lincs Wolds are lovely and plenty of XC loops abound. Sherwood Pines for more XC and outrageously expensive parking. Most of my mates from the area come over to the Peak District

upshift
    Free Member

Echo the above: Sherwood Pines is the nearest “proper” trail centre, but the Peak District is a manageable distance and of course has some of the country’s best trails.

If anyone has route guides for loops in the Lincs Wolds please post them!

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

You’re moving to Lincolnshire?

I feel for you.

rossburton
    Free Member

Found the Singletrack issue with the article about Chipps going to Licolnshire: http://singletrackworld.com/magarchive/issue-84/

rossburton
    Free Member

I used to live in the Fens. Buy a hardtail 29er and an OS map for local rides.

limburger
    Free Member

I’ve been there. Very flat, very windy, very Brexit.

andeh

After living here for 3 years, I’d advise don’t move here if you can help it.

Market Rasen “bikepark” is about 15 mins away from me, which is the closest thing to proper mtb that doesn’t involve an hour and a half drive. Runs are about 30s but the whole place has been flattened for felling at the moment.

People say there is riding in the wolds but I’ve yet to find anything. I did a 28mile loop recently and it was the least remarkable 28 bike miles of my life. Like farm tracks? We got ’em!

On the plus side though everyone’s a racist and the average speed on the roads is about 36mph, so at least you’ll always have something to moan about.

limburger
    Free Member

I must agree with the racist comment. My friend is mixed race and he might just as well have been a Martian from the way the locals responded to him. I will never, ever go back there.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I lived in Ruskington for almost 5 years. I bought a road bike. If you don’t mind farm tracks etc a CX bike is perfect round there.
    There are some great quiet lanes but also some absolutely honking roads too.
    The wolds are fine in the dry, when it’s wet you are better off bog snorkeling.
    Sherwood pines is fun, but the Peak District is a better place to head for.
    Enjoy Quaker life!!!

Scamper
    Free Member

Oh crumbs. Had a look on YouTube at the DH track at Sherwood Pines and lost the will to live.

Our only other option is Brize Norton. I hear rural Oxfordshire is slightly less racist?

core

Brize it is.

monkeychild
    Free Member

😆 viva las cartoon town

timidwheeler

No one actually lives in Brize. All the houses are in Cartoon Town. It’s very easy for the Cotswolds and for a full DH day, not far from the woods behind Nationwide.

IdleJon

Had a look on YouTube at the DH track at Sherwood Pines

There’s a dh track in Sherwood Pines? They barely made an acceptable xc track.. (That’s the benefit of living in south Wales – we can sneer at places like Sherwood. 😀 )

andeh

In terms of singletrack, Pines is actually pretty decent. Trouble is it’s not a place to go if you’re not feeling fit, to get the best out of the place you need to be gunning it the whole way round, as there’s no gradient to propel you along.

The “DH track” is just more singletrack at the opposite end of the woods to the car park. If nothing else it provides the entertainment of witnessing guys with full faces, armour and DH bikes slog around the red route to shred the gnar on 500yrds of gentle slope.

IdleJon

In terms of singletrack, Pines is actually pretty decent.

I’ve ridden it, full gas, and it was ok.

But..I had a meeting nearby last week and knew I was driving right past SP to my hotel. It’s not good enough for me to be bothered loading a bike into the car. I probably would have enjoyed it more on my broken 120mm HT.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Lincolnshire mountain biking’ is closed to new replies.