Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Lily Allen is in the news today
  • torsoinalake
    Free Member

For her ‘feminist anthem’. Oh dear.

You can’t argue with the sentiment, but British pop music really is in a bad state isn’t it? America gives us Lady Gaga and her 4 million followers on Twitter doing it for the geeks and freaks. We’ve got someone speaking sixth form poetry over a melody, accompanied by an “ironic” music video that turns out to be an advert for electronic cigarettes and Dr ‘Misogyny’ Dre’s products.

Since we’re taking the lazy route, I blame X-Factor.

clubber
    Free Member

I blame you.

I know it’s harsh but it’s clear that’s the root cause.

Go away and think about what you’ve done.

Kryton57

She does something for me, in a certain light that I can’t quite put my finger on….

clubber
    Free Member

I like that version she did of that Take That song. It’s not often I can say that.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

She’s been very good value when she’s been on TMS.

fasthaggis

I blame Thatcher cider

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I’m hanging my head in shame.

Sorry Clubber.

clubber
    Free Member

Don’t apologise to me. Apologise to the universe because that’s the extent of what you’ve done…

timc
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0CazRHB0so[/video]

For those who haven’t seen it, keep an eye out for the balloons! 😯

zippykona

I don’t think anyone can hold up Ms Gaga as any sort of musical benchmark.

wwaswas

She likes pink striped 1970’s childrens tv cats too apparently, although she got the name slightly wrong.

Nick

Oh great another ironic moan about celeb culture and exploitation, not as good as Reggie Watts F*** S*** Stack.

elliptic
    Free Member

I blame Thatcher cider

Mine’s a pint, ta.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s just pop music innit. In amongst all the shite pop music there’s always a gleam of brilliance shining though. Not sure what it is at the moment, to be honest, but I bet it’s there. It’s the way it has always been.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I like poetry..

We need more poets. 😉

yunki
    Free Member

Try Lorde for a female teen pop role model..

I’ve only heard her song ‘Royals’ which I personally think is delightful, but the right-on type women that I know who are interested in such things are raving about her..

A breath of fresh air after the poison of Cyrus

iolo
    Free Member

Gaga can actually sing and is hot.
    Lily Allen should have been a dishwasher at weatherspoons.

slackalice
    Free Member

The Style of Eye remix of Not Fair is highly recommended for those of you who like minimal tech/dirty house choons.

I’m with Kryton too… An undefinable something about her that appeals to me…

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DlYUpX33Lv0[/video]

zbonty

That Reggie Watts vid is great.

jekkyl

Oh the ironing!
    Moaning about objectifying women in a video stuffed full of women wearing very little eating bananas and jiggling their arse/tits. Yes that may be the point BUT the video still contains those images and so does nothing but condone their use. So So awful.

clubber
    Free Member

Does it really? Maybe if it’s on as a background video with no sound but much as I think ‘6th form poetry’ isn’t far off the right description, the sentiment is about right and it’s plenty of sixth formers and younger who’ll listen to it (particularly as it’ll no doubt be banned/not on play lists) and maybe question the other videos out there just that bit more.

bearnecessities

A breath of fresh air after the poison of Cyrus

*insert current trending approval term*

hora
    Free Member

Well anything and I mean ANYTHING to stop Madonna trotting out again wearing a leotard with her legs just abit too open.

(Coughs into a bin)

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member
    She does something for me, in a certain light that I can’t quite put my finger on….

When the lights are off & you can’t put your finger on the light switch??

DezB
    Free Member

Moaning about objectifying women in a video

On a related note, a few years ago, this was pop.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opWBRRCTDXg[/video]

Yeah!
    (Shame they went rubbish)

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I’ve had a think about it Clubber, and I was maybe a bit hasty this morning, and I have learnt a few things from this thread, so lets look at some positives.

She burns with an incandescent yet coy inner light that lures middle aged men like flies to a bug zapper.

She probably has taken the time to make an informed opinion on Kevin Pietersen, other than, ‘He’s a complete ****’.

She is, for some people, preferable to Miley Cyrus, who – let’s be honest here – is streets ahead in the “My famous Dad” league. But in Lily’s defence, in the “My dad was typecast in life and his acting career, but I’m riding on his connections” sub-league, she is making a better job of it than Jaime Winston.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone can hold up Ms Gaga as any sort of musical benchmark.

Is this a grown up saying this

DEzB has it on music – DID I REALLY SAY THAT!. the reality is 99% of pop will be forgotten within a generation as it was throwaway pap and I have no idea nor interest in what is good at the moment

I think the sad thing is image or presentation is probably more important than the music

She is, for some people, preferable to Miley Cyrus, who – let’s be honest here – is streets ahead in the “My famous Dad” league

Yes but which would we all rather have as a dad – i think the answer would break his achey breaky heart and hopefully his hands and vocal chords

ninfan
    Free Member

Thing is, that its going to hit a much wider audience of young girls with a positive message that ‘it doesn’t have to be this way’ than, for example, the much more cerebral discussion put forward by Charlotte Church at the John Peel Lecture

or Cerys Matthews in her R2 documentary about the women of Country Music

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03h3t2w/Cerys_Matthews_and_The_Women_of_Country_Episode_2/

At the same time, its easy to throw abuse at Cyrus – but the fact that for success and recognition the industry relies on this over sexualisation of the person, rather than her actual abilities, and that she is forced to shake her ass like a five dollar whore rather than singing her godmothers songs in her backyard like she’s actually quite good at:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOwblaKmyVw[/video]

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I always get confused between Lily Allen and Lily Savage. I don’t how how, one is attractive and feminine, and Lily Allen is neither.

ninfan
    Free Member

one is attractive and feminine, and Lily Allen is neither.

Which has what to do with her talent as either a singer or songwriter?

I mean – lets look at the original criticism of her in this thread – We’ve got someone speaking sixth form poetry over a melody,

I reckon you could quite easily lay the same allegation against Bob Dylan , or how about the sixth form politics of pink floyd (we don’t need no education) or the who (people try to p-put us down, just because we g-get around) – none of who you would judge as an artist based upon how attractive they were.

How about Peggy Seeger FFS?

the-muffin-man

and that she is forced to shake her ass like a five dollar whore rather than singing her godmothers songs

I doubt this is the case.

She’s already wealthy and from a wealthy family. I’m sure she could make a perfectly good living singing country music if she chose to.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I like Lilly.

Given the remarks on here expressing dissatisfaction with her looks from male contributors, I’d say the message of her latest song and video were bang on.

Some people need to drop their little toys and grow up.

geoffj

Yes but which would we all rather have as a dad – i think the answer would break his achey breaky heart and hopefully his hands and vocal chords

😀

cybicle
    Free Member

It’s a lot easier if your dad is well-connected in the media industry. I wonder just how successful she’d be if she weren’t Keith Allen’s daughter?

I mean, let’s face it; she’s mediocre at best, and her work is nothing more than an auto-tuned turd rolled in glitter.

jamj1974

Mr Woppit – Member

Given the remarks on here expressing dissatisfaction with her looks from male contributors, I’d say the message of her latest song and video were bang on.
    Some people need to drop their little toys and grow up.

+1

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Is that because you’re dressed?

iolo
    Free Member

cybicle – Member
    It’s a lot easier if your dad is well-connected in the media industry. I wonder just how successful she’d be if she weren’t Keith Allen’s daughter?

+1000

Bloody awful lyrics on all songs, can’t sing and relies on autotune(or whatever it’s called)

torsoinalake
    Free Member

As I said Mr Woppit I can’t argue with the sentiment.

The medium for the message is in my opinion poor. I’m still trying to square the Dr Dre product placement. But then I suppose that the target market for this video might not be aware of his Girrrl Power anthem, “Bitches ain’t shit”. I would hope Ms Allen is.

There is also a bit of what I call the ‘Russell Brand effect’ going on in the media around this, which is what spurred my original post.

10pmix
    Free Member

Jeees, that Lilly Allen song is appalling and the video is a total disaster. But will do well I’m sure.

I_Ache
    Free Member

iolo – Member
    Gaga can actually sing and is hot.

You’re definitely a wrong ‘un.

I quite like Lily, and the Keane cover that is out at the moment is fantastic. However Hard out Here is a bit crap, I think it is probably out to just get people talking and so we all know she has a new album on the way.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Lily Allen is in the news today’ is closed to new replies.