Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Like the Lakes but closer?
  • colournoise

Am currently in the Lakes and as a resident of the flatlands of the East Midlands I’m blown away by the natural riding up here.

Only done a few easy bits if I’m honest as a Lakes noob with the current weather and trail conditions, but am keen to get some more of this style of riding.

Can easily drive from home to the Peaks in a reasonable time, so my question is…

Having really enjoyed the descent into Rosthwaite on the Borrowdale Bash, what Peaks routes would give me similar riding? Good in most conditions, fast, not TOO technical but with enough challenge to keep things interesting (I ride a HT – BFe – if that makes any difference).

geetee1972
    Free Member

All the descents on the classic kinder figure of eight tick those boxes and in both directions. Then you’ve got the beast of hope cross, potato alley and many others.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nothing like the Lakes but plenty of good ones, That decent you are talking about is a lot of fun.
    Peaks, N Wales (if you can make the BW’s link up) are your best closer bets but lakes still wins for me.

johnny

Shropshire?

tomstickland
    Free Member
    colournoise

Thanks for the suggestions. Time to get the maps out.

Any more from the morning crew?

johnellison
    Free Member

Yorkshire Dales? M1 as far as Leeds, A1 as far as Tadcaster, hang a left over Blubberhouses and head for Skipton/Malham/Settle.

mattrgee
    Free Member

I find myself craving woodland and roots from the Hayfield end of the Peak District. Not much round here, or any I know of.

edlong
    Free Member

Move nearer to the Lakes?

colournoise

edlong – that is the medium-term plan.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

@johnellison
    IMO the Yorks Dales isn’t in the same league as Lakes, too much consists of easy farm track/double track/ unmade lanes. Loads to do, lots of lanes/BWs to cover and a few jems here and there, but mostly none techy XC. Great for covering miles off road, but not much that requires you to have your wits about you. It’s a big area, of course, some areas are better than others, but Skipton/Malham/Settle (my main stomping ground), isn’t all that mentally/technically demanding IMO. We tend to stick to the guidebook type routes tho.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Like the Lakes but closer?’ is closed to new replies.