Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Like Planet X XLS but better mud clearance?
  • fooman

I like my XLS, I commute offroad and do the odd race (like the 3 peaks CX, very odd) but I find it deposits mud / grass at the narrowest point on the chainstay and can jam the wheel. Can anyone suggest a cheap / light CX frame with better clearance? I’d probably want to move the gubbins over from my current bike (going qr to bolt thru no issue) and I’ve long since gone 1x on it which might provide more choices.

longsider
    Free Member

Planet X Space Chicken. Not the cheapest but its awesome

fooman

Thanks @longsider Space Chicken looks like a contender, not too bad a price for the frameset. Not in a rush so I’ll keep an eye out for one of Planet X’s legendary sales!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    h4muf
    Free Member

My XLS has never gummed up on me.(35mm Michelin jets)

fooman

My XLS has never gummed up on me.

You’re not doing racing in the same mud and grass conditions as me then.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Trek Crockett?

jamiep
    Free Member

You’re not doing racing in the same mud and grass conditions as me then.

I too had an awful race a few week’s ago on my XLS, 33mm Michelin Power Mud. In the final 4-ish laps I was having to stop 3-4 times a lap to de-clog the BB/chain stay area.

So I am looking for a new frame too. Space Chicken has a very different geo to the XLS, and isn’t for me.

fooman

Space Chicken geo numbers don’t look too different, at least not in my size, however the frameset price did go up £100 since I last looked! Lol did I say it needs to be a budget option too! That’s one of the reasons I went for XLS, it was cheap at the time, though I do like how it rides.

Trek Crockett?

I suppose there might be any number of framesets that could work. I measured the narrowest point on the XLS chainstay level with the tyre, it’s about 5cm, versus the front fork (where there isn’t an issue) about 6cm, so I suppose a chainstay gap of 6cm or more is probably what I’m looking for as a starting point.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Those £300 Malt-G1X frames on Merlin?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Like Planet X XLS but better mud clearance?’ is closed to new replies.