Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Like Pizza
  • maccruiskeen

With more time on my hands to fanny about with stuff like cooking I’ve made a few pizzas but the ones I make aren’t really pizzas because we don’t eat cheese so we make a thing like pizza with some home made marinara and some various toppings.

Then earlier last week I made a Lamachun (or a version of a lamachun using diced walnuts and Puy lentils rather than lamb) but really its the sauce (tinned tomatoes, sumac, paprika, cumin) that was the fun.

Before that I was making nice Nice socca.

So thats three versions of flatbreads from three Mediterranean countries that made me wonder if you could eat your way around the med by cooking versions of circular flat breads with a nice topping on it. I might give Lebanese Mountain Bread a shot next.

Anyone else encountered tasty frisbees elsewhere around the med I can try? Ones without cheese are a bonus but I won’t rule dairy ones out.

I did look up a ‘Greek Pizza’ but thats an American pizza invented by a guy from Albania and its the mother of all bad pizzas.

kelvin

Pizzas don’t need cheese: FACT.

kelvin

Oh, get the harissa out OP.

maccruiskeen

get the harissa out

never need an excuse

Cougar

I once came up with the notion of an Indian chip butty – a garlic naan topped with chips and curry.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Hogwash.

A pizza without cheese is like interrupted sex.

maccruiskeen

I once came up with the notion of an Indian chip butty – a garlic naan topped with chips and curry.

Take aways here would call that a Hoagie Wrap.

maccruiskeen

When I was staying in a Hilton I asked if I could have one of their ‘freshly made stone baked pizzas’ but without the cheese and the staff had to admit that the cheese was already on them in the packet  🙂

hols2
    Free Member

we don’t eat cheese

I lost interest right there.

Put some cheese on top and grill it and I’d buy it.

davros

Oaxaca style. Homemade guacamole on the flatbread, add wilted spinach and whatever else you fancy. Not from the med obviously but worth trying

pondo

With more time on my hands to fanny about with stuff like cooking I’ve made a few pizzas but the ones I make aren’t really pizzas because we don’t eat cheese something something something something….

Does not compute.

dantsw13

I’ve been making fresh naans for the family, but tonight is pizza night. I’m just doing the dough now. There will be cheese.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Garlic butter works well (or garlic olive oil)..
    Anyone suggested bacon on pizza yet..

maccruiskeen

I’ve been making fresh naans for the family,

I made a naan in a frying pan – really surprised at how well that worked out.

sadexpunk

made a few sourdough pizzas last year with my starter, thats long gone now tho so looking for a simple method for this weekend.

anyone got any good pizza recipes using more conventional methods for the dough? if not sourdough, would you always use yeast or can they be made with baking powder or bicarbonate of soda instead?

thanks

doris5000

a chip naan from Abdul’s on Oxford Road in Manchester was a regular dinner for me before i started a shift at the pub next door back in 2001!

kayak23

On a riding holiday in Czech we had some sort of atrocity that was like a pizza but it was essentially a fried cheese base with cheap ketchup on top.

That was pretty much it. Wouldn’t recommend.

maccruiskeen

Deviating from my own stipulation of the Med – I wonder how well a home-brew Katlama would work

richmtb

What about Langos? Not Mediterranean either

Hungarian Langos

Its normally just topped with garlic and salt and maybe sour cream. Kids sometimes have sweet versions with nutella or jam

maccruiskeen

Intriguing

sniff
    Free Member

Do a search for Turkish Pide, toppings as desired

Cougar

Pancakes? (-:

maccruiskeen

319 days to Pancake day and they’re already selling flour and eggs

(except this is the one time you can tell that joke when they’re actually not)

acsevens

I’ve had most luck with this recipe – http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/sep/08/how-to-cook-perfect-pizza

Gives an easy to work dough and had pretty decent results using a pizza stone. I think you do need standard yeast rather than self raising / bicarbonate

sadexpunk

tried this tonight in my aldi pizza oven (just stick it on top of BBQ).

i only had enough dough for 50/50 white/wholewheat, the topping was lovely, but…..topping was lovely, the dough was burnt at the bottom tho. proper charcoal!

now, could this be a lack of cleaning from last year? i never clean pizza stone or BBQ, just let everything burn off, never died yet. and tbh, there was residue from last year.

wife thinks it was too hot (the dial was in ‘too hot’, but experiments last year found this ideal) but my rationale is that an aldi pizza oven on top of a BBQ will never be as hot as a proper pizza oven, plus it was perfect last year…..what do you think? last years residue needed cleaning off? could a pizza stone get too hot and burn a base?

thanks

Drac

A few places started that around my home town decades ago they’re marvellous.

LAT

A pizza without cheese is like interrupted sex.

Italy is a Catholic country and they serve pizza without cheese.

homerun
    Free Member

Pizza without cheese 😱😱

A favourite in my house is pizza with a chilli base instead of Mariana sauce. Made one tonight.

jamiemcf

I love haggis on a pizza

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Like Pizza’ is closed to new replies.