Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Like Nanos but lighter ?? (Tubeless 700 x35/38)
  • byeway
    Free Member

Probably been done before but any pointers much appreciated. Think I am currently carrying a lot of excess rubber with chunky 700×40 on my multi day BIkepacking Cotic Escapade when I am mainly on tarmac, and the off-road bits are usually forestry fire roads.

luv2ride
    Free Member

I used to swear by 40mm Nano’s as a great multi-surface tyre (that roll well on road),but have been getting great service from 38mm Gravel King SKs on my gravelly singlespeed. Similar story with some 650x48mm GKSKs on another bike. Nano’s slightly better in mud IME

jobro
    Free Member

Rene Herse Steilacooms 38mm are about as quick as an off road tyre gets, within the limitations of its width. However, with your parcours why not get a tyre with minimal tread? you’ll easily manage forest tracks with one. Again, Rene Horse do some very quick tyres, but then Schwalbe do as well. Maybe Schwalbe All-round?

byeway
    Free Member

Many thanks, had a look at the Gravel King SKs, but would like a bit more side tread / mud grip like the Nanos. Also think 700×35 would suffice ??

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Marathon Supreme? I bought some when on offer at Merlin for £31 each, probably not a tyre for wet terrain, but fine in this summer drought on many surfaces.

byeway
    Free Member

Thanks again. I have the Supremes on my daily commuter, work well but would like a bit more grip. Hadn’t thought of the G One Allrounds, a bit hung up on the herring bone type tread of the Nanos whereas a few manufacturers seem to use those ping pong pimples. Will also look at Rene Herse, an new brand to me.

Keep them coming !

hardtailonly

WTB Cross Boss, 35? Never used them myself, but a mate has them and likes them. They don’t look too dissimilar to the Resolute tread-wise, which I find a reasonably fast rolling tyre.

PJay
    Free Member

I’m not sure that they’ll save you anything in terms of weight, but Vittoria’s Terreno range might be work a look. I’ve got the 29×2.1″ XC version of the Dry on my Swift and they roll extremely well on tarmac.

The Mix looks a bit nearer to the Mezcal.

https://www.vittoria.com/ww/en/tyres/gravel-cross

belgianwaffle1

+1 G1 allrounds

byeway
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, think the Rene Herse ones are a bit out of my price range, but that Vittoria range looks interesting.

lesshaste

allrounds

matt_outandabout

Two days tour here, 90% road, some forest track, dry conditions.
    35mm Conti Top Contacts and Schwalbe Land Cruisers were just fine. The (new to me) Contacts positively zoomed along.
    Another rider had fitted 40mm Cross Kings fitted – on and off road I rolled away easily downhill, I’m assuming similar gain uphill.

Before that I was running Kenda Kwick semi slicks in 36mm – which again managed that balance of rolling OK on and off road, with sufficient grip to manage some easier Red and a good few blue trail centres….

sillyoldman

Mezcals come in 700×35.

Terreno Dry and Wet both great. Mix not so much.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve Got Terrano Wet’s back when Evans had them at a silly price, fast enough that I’ve not bothered swapping them for the summer the last couple of years, although they’re feeling slightly sketchy in the current dustbowl conditions.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.