Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Like an Ardent but better ?
  • davewalsh
    Free Member

I’ve been running the Ardent as a rear tyre for years now as I find that the 2.25 folding EXO version is a great compromise between grip, rolling resistance, durability and weight. However it’s an old design of tyre now and over the last 4 years tyres must have progressed.

So, is there anything out there that improves on any of the above parameters without compromising the others?

It’s going on the rear of a 150mm full suss, mainly riding in the Lakes, Peaks and around Rivington, doesn’t have to deal with too much mud as I’ve got a HT for that.

hora
    Free Member

Nothing is better.

For winter/mud = 2.25 Beaver?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

You won’t find anything better as an all round rear tyre IMO. When it’s dry or you’re at a trail centre, a Schwalbe Rock Razor or WTB Bee Line has it beat but the Ardent can be left on all year round and will perform well.

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve just ridden my hardtail for the first time this year and remembered why I bought the Ardents. Grippy as could be expected over a mix of mud, wet leaves, chalk, sandy fireroads and roots. I was pretty happy with them in summer too.

specializedneeds

[Review of other options here

Also consider Specialized tyres. Purgatory?

davewalsh
    Free Member

So still plenty of love for the Ardent then ?
    I’ve looked at the Purgatory but is doesn’t look like it rolls as well as the Ardent. Anyone who’s used both like to comment?
    Also looked at the Conti X-King 2.4 but not sure how big these blow up (running a 2.3 Butcher on the front and don’t want it to be any bigger), I know the 2.2 comes up small for it’s size.

jameso

I’ve looked at the Purgatory but is doesn’t look like it rolls as well as the Ardent. Anyone who’s used both like to comment?

I use Ardent 2.25 and 2.4s a lot but there’s a point when it gets wet and soft enough for a Purgatory F+R to feel better to me (that happens a lot sooner on the front than the rear). The chunkier tread drags a bit more on hard ground but when it’s wet that makes no odds imo and it’s a more predictable tyre then, climbing grip is better too. Ardents are good on hard to soft+dry loose ground, but not on anything wet, muddy etc.

scotroutes

Purgatory on the front then?

Any other (non-Specialized) candidates?

chrismac

Conti Trail Queen on the front Mountain king on the back. As long as you have the Black Chili compound. If you dont then its bambi on ice time.

bigjim

I use both on the back and they are as would imagine quite different tyres, tread is much deeper on the purgatory. I’ve got a purg on for the winter. If you aren’t having any problems with the ardent where you ride then there isn’t any point in changing.

scotroutes

I could definitely do with something more in the front. Hitting lots of mud-wrapped pine-needles today and the front washing out. Made it a fun ride – in a way 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

I run 2.25 Ardent EXOs at the back all year in the Peak, haven’t really found much better. The Bontrager XR4 is okay, but not as tough in the sidewall I think. If you’re loaded, the 2.35 Ikon EXO is a pretty good balance of fast and grippy out back – the side knobs are bigger and grippier than the smaller version – but it’s expensive for a relatively minor speed gain. Fast though. Better? I always end up back with the 2.25 Ardent at the back and a 2.5 Minion DHF up front. They just seem to work.

davewalsh
    Free Member

Looks like another ardent then! Thanks for the replies chaps.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Hans dampf.

Shadow
    Free Member

Maxxis Ikon, had one on the back for about a year and its really good

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Like an Ardent but better ?’ is closed to new replies.