Like an Alpkit Koala, but available to buy …

Home Forum Bike Forum Like an Alpkit Koala, but available to buy …

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Like an Alpkit Koala, but available to buy …
  • Premier Icon JohnClimber
    Subscriber

Get an Alpkit tapered bag
    Fit it in a Wildcat Tiger seatpost harness as it’s the best option anyway.

Premier Icon duckeee
    Subscriber

Did a quick Google for “KTM seat pack” (gets my vote, just be wary of the stitching in places) and this popped up!
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/alpkit-koala-alternatives

Plenty of ideas in there.

trail_rat

Any recomedation that says be wear of the stitching immediately gets binned in my book.

Cannot fault my wildcat and tapered dry bag.

Nae waggle- which the koala comes with a heap of.

nickwatson

Thanks for the links and info so far, like the look of the Apidura the best. Any other ideas gratefully accepted.

Trail rat, which wildcat have you got?

Premier Icon JohnClimber
    Subscriber

In my experience the way the Wildcat Tiger fixes to your seat post and saddle rails if far better than any that just wrap around and tighten.

This means no swing and no slipping while over rough stuff.

There’s a review here although the guy demoing it hasn’t fixed it to the saddle rails properly the rest of the review is spot on
    Youtube review
    If you double over the saddle rail loops it locks it solid in place

Drover
    and
    Wayfarer

fudge9202

Apidura seatpack?

nickwatson

Hi all

I’m looking to get a seat pack similar to the Alpkit Koala …

https://www.alpkit.com/products/koala

… but available to buy now. Something between 10 and 15 litres, that is nice and secure for a XC commute.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Nick

Premier Icon johnnystorm
    Subscriber

New Koala looks to be a better bet than the old one, as mentioned above, it’s wagglier than an excited puppy. Revelate Viscacha is loads better but also quite a bit bigger. The Pika is the smaller version iirc. Backcountry Biking in Scotland amongst others stock them.

nickwatson

I’ve just hit the buy button on an Apidura bag. Looks closest to what I wanted.

Thanks for all your replies.

Nick

Premier Icon MadBillMcMad
    Subscriber

as John says – I’d go the Wildcat with the alpkit tapered bag.

A mate has that & it is rock solid.

I think the new Alpkit buckles are a big improvement on the old flakey black ones, but the design must mean it will still waggle like duck.

whitestone

Wildcat Tiger with Alpkit tapered bag here as well. As JohnClimber says, the Wildcat mount is superior to any other I’ve seen – a bit fiddly fitting the first couple of times but no hardship thereafter. (I’d seen the bikepackers review before and thought that he’d fixed it incorrectly, obviously needs to RTFM!)

I’ve no personal experience of Apidura but those who have their kit like it so I suspect we are in to minor gains and differences between the brands.

nickwatson

Thanks both, I think it was just the set up of the Apidura (and decent reviews) that swayed me. I can just chuck a couple of plastic bags inside (clothes and lunch), strap it up, and hopefully will mean no rucksac for the 10 mile XC commute. We’ll see!

nickwatson

So, fiited Apidura (smallest) saddle bag, and just done a few miles to see how it felt, loaded with typical commuting kit (lunch and clothes). Moves around a little, but nothing to worry about. Also can feel it a little with the back of my hamstrings, but again nothing to impeed cycling. First commute with it tomorrow …

Nick

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

obviously needs to RTFM!

And we tried soooooo hard to make it clear too.

Glad to see that everyone on here has it rock solid anyway.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Like an Alpkit Koala, but available to buy …’ is closed to new replies.