Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Like a Xar but not a Xar
  • fruitbat

I need to replace my current Giro Xar helmet as I had an ‘off’ at Glentrool where my head and shoulder smote the ground with a fair bit of force.

Although the helmet appears to be intact I think it’s better to be safe than sorry and in any case the helmet is 5 years old.

So my question to the STW hive mind is – what current MTB open face helmets have a similar fit to the Giro XAR?

Thanks in advance 🙂

lardman
    Free Member

My IXS trail is a very similar fit to my old Xar. Good price too.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Spesh Tactic.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Endura Singletrack 2

honourablegeorge

CRC have the Giro Montaro and Chronicle in the sale. I went to a Montaro from a Xar and fit felt the same

Alex

I went from a Xar to one of the original IXS trails a few years ago. Didn’t get on with the fit at all (and I bought it from my LBS so I thought it fitted!). Ended up with a Scott Stego and then another one after I smashed the first one.

That was a great helmet. Not sure if they still make them and they weren’t cheap. Then went Giro Montaro but the MIPS came apart so sent that back. Ended up with the Oakley DRT5 which is my fav helmet ever. Again not cheap.

Having said all that, I also have a Giro Feature (non mips) bought cheap from LBS as a backup helmet and I really like it. Way better fit than the Montaro.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Xar was a great helmet. New non-MIPs Giro have their worrying ‘one size’ approach, the same fragile rear tightener that was the weak point of the Xar and a shortage of vents.

I like the Endura Singletrack 2, have just bought a second. A fair price (even at RRP). Comes with a second set of pads. Downsides – visor is big. looks best in lowest position but I have to run it one notch up to stop it narrowing my field of vision (and it looks a bit geeky then). The ‘Subaru’ top vent has a habit of grabbing branches rather than guiding them over your head. Strap adjusters are easy to undo by accident (but also easy to reposition)

munrobiker
    Free Member

I went from a Xar to a Smith Forefront and really like it.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Giro Artex?
    Looks similiar?
    Max

fruitbat

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I’ve just ordered a Giro Artex from Merlin.

After I try it on it’ll be sitting in the box for a few weeks while my shoulder recovers 🙁

sandwicheater

+1 for the IXS trail, came from a Xar and found the iXS a better fit.

A tad warmer maybe.

fruitbat

Mrs Fruitbat has an IXS Trail and seems to be a bit narrower and it is definitely not compatible with my head.

fruitbat

I got the Giro Artex today and I’d say it’s almost identical to the Xar in terms of fit and overall size. I was worried that the MIPS insert would make the helmet bulky but this is not the case.

The visor is a similar size but not adjustable and the attachment is a bit more flimsy. Overall I’m very pleased with the new helmet especially as it’s a bit of a bargain at £49 from Merlin.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Like a Xar but not a Xar’ is closed to new replies.