• This topic has 17 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Like a Thule Easybag but cheaper waterproof cargo bag
  • cjr61

I like the idea of strapping a waterproof bag/box onto my bike rack when the whole tribe go on holiday. Would rather not spend Thule money. Any other large waterproof options?

Thanks

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Wouldn’t any old waterproof bag do? Having had a Thule Easybag it wasn’t much more than that. OK it had a bit of plastic reinforcement on the edges of the base and straps to connect to the Thule Easybase (so useless for your bike rack) and a nifty but useless lockable zip (useless in that if you really wanted to get in the bag a Stanley knife would have bypassed the lockable zip). Any waterproof bag with straps to strap to your bike rack would do the job almost as well.

But looking at the price of those North Face waterproof duffle bags and their like the Easybag is a good price £120 for 95 ltrs vs. £177 for 315 ltrs). But then comparing to North Face pricing is hardly demonstrating it’s a bargain! I think Decathlon does the water proof bags…maybe a couple or three of those might do?

kynasf
    Free Member

There was an Amazon basics version for about £60, but I think they pulled it due to some of the plastic elements melting from exhaust pipes. Its still listed though, so hopefully a modified version will be available soon.

hot_fiat

Wickes do a massive Really useful Box which I’m converting for this purpose.

cjr61

Thanks all

cjr61

Thanks all, the Wickes box looks good!

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Really-Useful-Black-Large-Plastic-Wheeled-Trunk—160L/p/182515

Although the amazon basics one is now £40 so very good value!

kynasf
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered the Amazon bag. Got to be worth a punt at 40 quid based on the reviews!

muddyjames
    Free Member

@hot_fiat how are you attaching it to the rack?

DT78
    Free Member

Do you have a link to the amazon bag?

csb

Is this for day rides? If so what is it you are carrying for the family that needs this much space? Intruiged.

Cotswold outdoor used to do mountain equipment waterproof duffel bags as good as north face far cheaper.

DT78
    Free Member

Are you guys using this on a Thule tow bar rack or a specific trailer type loader?

I plan to use when the 4 of us go camping, basically the tent and all the kit pretty much fills the boot of our suv. A bag that fits on my Thule bike rack is much cheaper and easier to store than a roof box

csb

Ah. I have made a comedy misunderstanding. I was still sitting here wondering how on earth you strap a 100 litre bag to a pannier rack.

cjr61

CSB hahaha!

I am planning on strapping it direct to the Thule bike carrier. Maybe pad out the base a little first.

AmazonBasics Expandable Hitch Rack Cargo Carrier Bag, Black, 250 litres. expandable to 325 litres. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072ZHX3FN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_4.sbDbX31CNW8

trail_rat
    Free Member

Cotswold outdoor used to do mountain equipment waterproof duffel bags as good as north face far cheaper.

They ain’t waterproof. Neither the me or tnf. We have both and the zips are not waterproof.

kynasf
    Free Member

I’m going to try it on the VW bike rack on the transporter and the Thule bike rack on the car. I got a couple of ratchet straps from Halfords which should add a bit more security in addition to the bags own straps.

hot_fiat

@muddyjames with four roof box clamps. I’ll take some photos of what I have so far.

transporter13
    Free Member

I did something similar to this just the other month.
    Using an old towbar rack I removed the bike carrier sections and replaced them with 15x15x1200 box section lengths and bolted them to the main frame of the rack.
    Then I bought 2 large plastic storage tubs with lids from argos and strapped them to the rack with 4 ratchet straps.
    Allowed us (family of 6) to take all the camping kit for a week away.

DT78
    Free Member

Well amazon bag turned up, seems pretty good, prob big enough to take all the random stuff we need for camping. Looks like you could even try strapping a second on top. Haven’t tried it on the bike rack but can’t see it begin an issue, maybe have to protect from rubbing through the base, thick bit of foam

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Like a Thule Easybag but cheaper waterproof cargo bag’ is closed to new replies.