Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Like a Process 111 but not a Process 111….
  • Shackleton

Plotting a new bike and like the idea of a shortish travel 29er but with the ability to be hurled around a bit.

So far in that category are the Kona Process 111 and the as yet mythical Banshee Phantom. As the process isn’t available frame only and most of the components on the full build are not ones I’m prepared to pay the asking price for I’m not really interested and the Phantom seems to be a constant work in progress with no release date on the horizon.

Any others out there in the 29er 110-120mm rear / 120-140mm front that I could consider?

Cheers,

S

Bregante
    Alex

Pyga 110-29 Ace bike. I have one 🙂

http://www.pygaindustries.com/oneten29.html

JCL
    Free Member

Camber Evo.

kimbers

Dealers in the states apparently offer frame only on the 111 even though it’s not on the kona website might be worth asking a dealer

Bregante

Doesn’t the transition bandit 29 take up to a 140 fork?

IA

Any others out there in the 29er 110-120mm rear / 120-140mm front that I could consider?

Got my horsetheif built up thusly. 1×10, reverb, marz 44s at 140 on the front, tis a hoot.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Sb95 maybe.

Shackleton

Much obliged. Some definite good ideas there.

sa9000
    Free Member

Ibis Ripley!

mos

PYGA ftw.

sillyoldman

Just rode my Split Pivot Horsethief with 140mm Pikes for the first time today – definitely worth a look.

I was sold on the Process, but availability is really poor sadly.

Horsethief was 2nd choice, but probably a better bet for a scrawny b***ard like me. Lighter, but pretty close in numbers.

Shackleton

New Horsethief actually looks very good. How does it ride with 140mm pikes given that they are almost an inch too long (551mm) for what it was designed around (530)?

z1ppy

the Phantom seems to be a constant work in progress with no release date on the horizon.

Well the designer said delivery for June to me last month, not sure how a frame originally ‘scheduled’ for 2015 coming in 6 months early is a ‘bad’ work in process.

2014 Horsethief looks lovely and much better design than the previous one (in my mind)

Whyte T-129’s are starting to come through on ebay frame only (though the sellers are currently overpricing them & [so] not selling), if you can live with no warranty.

Shackleton

Well the designer said delivery for June to me last month, not sure how a frame originally ‘scheduled’ for 2015 coming in 6 months early is a ‘bad’ work in process.

Well that is promising. I’ve tried asking and got nowhere but I hadn’t realised it was slated as a 2015 frame. The mythical part was a slightly tongue in cheek reference to the fact that the Phantom was shown off last year at Sea Otter as final testing prototypes and since then….nothing. Just lots of unsubstantiated rumours on MTBR! Just seems an odd and irritating way to promote a bike.

z1ppy

ahhhh but it got it into the minds of ppl like ourselves hasn’t it (& other going from threads on here and MTBR)… so shirely this marketing technic does work? 😉

coming soon.. spring 2014
    (admittedly that’s not exactly the most helpful link)

pigyn
    Free Member

The Phantom is expected June as stated. I pestered them so much I managed to grab one of the pre-release magazine-review batch for myself. After spending last year on a Bandit 29 the slightly better pedalling Phantom looks perfect for me.

Keep an eye on our Facebook etc around the end of April for loads of pictures and gushing words of happiness (hopefully).

We will be taking pre orders soon as well, on the proviso that June may become July. But they say June for sure 😉

Pedals Bike Care

Get in touch if you have any questions, I am really looking forward to this bike as well!

James

IA

New Horsethief actually looks very good. How does it ride with 140mm pikes given that they are almost an inch too long (551mm) for what it was designed around (530)?

Not sure on the numbers with the new one, but 140mm bombers with a zero stack headset on my old flavour one (head tube for internal taper steerer) ride real nice*

* if you like it a bit slack. Handling feels a lot like my old DH bike, in a good way.

sillyoldman

I was prepared to shell out for a 120 air assembly for the Pike to correct the A-C, but doubt I’ll want to having ridden it.
    Was worried about the effect on the BB height rather than on HA/SA, but seemed good.

Chainline
    Free Member

Nicolai Helius TB. 120 or 140mm forks.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Like a Process 111 but not a Process 111….’ is closed to new replies.