Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Like a pompetamine but less agricultural?
  • MrNice
    Free Member

I’m looking for a new bike. Not a mtb, not a road bike, something to set up as a do-it-all bike running hub gears. I’m planning to buy a frame and build up myself.

The pompetamine has caught my eye. It has clearance for cross tyres, will take disks, has mudguard mounts, rack mounts, slot dropouts, compact frame etc. The only fly in the ointment is it has that typical on-one look. I’ve had an on-one before and they’re great bikes for the price but I’m prepared to pay a bit more for better looks/finish.

What else is out there?

theflatboy
    Free Member

My Pompetamine looks very nice, thank you. 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Soma Double Cross
    Surly Cross Check
    All City probably do something
    Geekhouse
    Shand
    Tokyo Fixed
    Salsa
    Genesis

and probably loads of others

MrNice
    Free Member

what was it that Arsene Wenger said about Alex Ferguson’s mind games? Ah yes, “Everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home” 😉

MrNice
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – thanks, I have some research to do this w/e

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If I can think of any others this arvo then I’d post them up

MrNice
    Free Member

first look finds a couple of possibles but it’s the hub gear compatibility that might be a limiting factor as I assume I need either slot dropouts or an EBB

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

To DavidTalyforth’s list I’d add:

Cotic Roadrat – tough and great fun to ride – will take a hub gear. Bit flexy if loaded up too much.

Or what about the new Surly Straggler over the cross check (assuming you want disks)

Van Dessel WTF also looks a hoot – pretty sure it will take a hub gear as it can be singlespeeded / belt driven etc. Saw a cracking build of one outside the Sloop Inn in Porthgain when on hols the other week (Hi to its owner if you’re on here!)

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Some Kinesis Tripsters and Pro 6 frames here http://outlet.upgradebikes.co.uk/Outlet/Clearance/Frames/Kinesis/Racelight

fwiw, i found the Tripster to have a very “steel like” feel to it.

terrahawk
    Free Member

My Pompetamine is ace. Easily the best 100 quid I ever spent on a frame.

nedrapier

Singular Peregrine?

MrNice
    Free Member

Singular website has been ogled a few times but the TT worries me. It looks good in a retro way but I like frames long and low. I have short legs and don’t like getting hit in the nuts when i put my feet down 😳

Van Dessel looks very nice

MussEd
    Free Member

If you fancy handmade in Scotland…Shand Stoater

craigxxl
    Free Member

Giant Seek.

cardiac
    Free Member

I have a pompetamine. I wouldn’t worry to much about the paint as if you intend to lock it up, it chips really easy anyway.

Just get it resprayed. Excellent frames for the money.

MrNice
    Free Member

back online after tea…

thanks for your suggestions, everyone. I have lots to look into though I don’t think the budget will stretch quite as far as that rather lovely Shand. Perhaps cardiac is right and a pompetamine and a paint job is the answer

Next thread from me will be one about those funny curly handlebars and how they affect bike sizing

1-shed
    Free Member

Hi to Sprocket Jockey, that was my bike outside The Sloop Inn.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

<waves> 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Like a pompetamine but less agricultural?’ is closed to new replies.