• This topic has 19 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • lighweight single ring crankset
  • ferrals
    Free Member

Currently got an RF turbine crankset but my numbers obsessed brain is struggling with the fact it has a wide q-factor and I have, quite possibly pyschosomatic 😳 , aches and pains realted to my feet being angled further outwards because of this. Therefore I’m toying with the idea of switching to a differnet crankset, and would like to save weight at the same time.

Are there any other options worth considering beyond RF next sl or xtr? any thoguhts on which is better? with RF I could probably just buy crank arms and keep ring and bb, though that doesnt actually save any money (plus my bb is probably wrecked after this winter as the RF BB is rubbish)

everyone
    Free Member

THM claviculas are pretty light 😉

onandon
    Free Member

Rota and Cannondale or the THM 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

What sort of riding?

The new model might be better but the old Next SL was fragile, I broke 2 sets and I’ve literally never broken a decent crank before in my life (well, I broke an exage in about 1993). Known issues with the metal parts separating from the carbon. Supposedly the new version fixes it but it’s one of those deals where they want to say “the new one fixes the old faults” while also saying “there was nothing wrong with the old one” 😉

SIXC is the obvious heavier duty option but it just didn’t feel that competitive an option to me. ymmv.

I went back to my old XTR M970- it’s stiff, when you do full system weights it’s still competitively light, and the annoying nonstandard inner ring isn’t an issue any more. Pretty cheap too these days. But it’s 104BCD so no small single ring option.

ferrals
    Free Member

@Northwind, xc riding and racing. Plenty of trail centre stuff, but the speed i go its definately just xc!

I heard that about the next sl’s quite a few places – I dont think the new ones would be in budget, think they are £400ish, old ones can be had for £300. I was thinking of looking out for a second hand set, but that lack of bonding issue put me off.

I have a feeling the claviuclas may be out of budget :wink:. To be honest I should probably stop being a weenie and just save money and go for XT.

whitestone
    Free Member

Do you want to go direct mount or will a spider mount be OK? The lower limit for 104BCD spider mounts is 30T so if you want 28T or 26T then you’ll need to be direct mount – I’ve a direct mount oval 28T on my fat bike with a Raceface AEffect crank. On the 29er I use a set of XT cranks.

ferrals
    Free Member

Either is fine, currently running 34t

Anyone got a weight for the xt m8000 crank arms? XTR is 472, just wondering how many grams 150 quid saves you 😳

Bream
    Free Member

CRC have 1 CX1 crankset left in the sale if you’re quick, bargain at £135 and then you can fit a direct mount Absolute Black oval ring 8)
    CRC CX1

whitestone
    Free Member

Presumably you’ve looked at Weight Weenies?

ferrals
    Free Member

Weight weenies database seems to be somehwat out of date, not much newer stuff on there

everyone
    Free Member

Remember if it doesn’t save you at least 150g then it’s not worth it! Unless of course it’s shiny in which case go for it.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes WW is hideously out of date these days.

Cx1/X01/XX1 (all the same cranks AFAIK) with a spiderless ring get my vote.

flows
    Free Member

ferrals – Member

Anyone got a weight for the xt m8000 crank arms?

Those are 589g in 170mm.

adsh
    Free Member

M980 XTR are good and generally pretty cheap 2nd hand. Minimum 30T narrow wide.

I have 2nd gen Next SL on the Epic which only gets raced or race training. Good system. My LBS did a very competitive price for me on them and I really like being able to run 28T rings for long/hilly events.

I can’t tell much difference apart from the lower tooth rings. If it were for anything other than pure racing I’d get the XTR as they shrug off large gouges etc from rocks which would be a bit worrying for me on carbon

Bream
    Free Member

CX1 (175) with the Absolute Black direct mount 32t would be sub 550g in total; pretty good for £182!

XTR M9000 Race 11 is £275 in the sale at CRC and ~563g; then you need to buy and add the chain ring!

ferrals
    Free Member

Cheers all, need 170mm or would have snapped up the cx1.

squealingbrakes
    Free Member

How about an Eagle XX1 or X01. An XX1 is around 480g and was (not sure if still is) £280 at rutland. Might need to factor in buying a different ring to the 32t its supplied with.

wzzzz
    Free Member

The CX1 is also the same as a load of other crank arms in road and MTB BB fitment.

These carbon arms have been branded Truvativ too, and they so them as the non groupset “S” series.

I have them on my road bike “S900”

Because no body knows what an S900 is they come up cheap, I paid £60 for a new set, removed the spider and fitted a single ring.

Also Quarq rebrand them for their power meters, sometime the Quarq arms alone come for sale cheap.

Bream
    Free Member

Shame as it’s a lovely setup 8)

TiRed

SRAM red carbon road cranks and an absolute black NW 38T on my cross bike. Paid £50 for the cranks, £20 for the BB and £55 for the ring. I accept that 38T may be a little large, but it depends what you are running on the back.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘lighweight single ring crankset’ is closed to new replies.