Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Lightweight XC event hydration pack?
  • Kryton57

What’s the lick these days? I need a pack for a six hour race loop. I used to used a Camelback Octane LR but ripped it to shreds. I’m happy to use my pockets and 1 frame mounted bottle, just want that bit extra hydration and food, plus a waste strap.

?

cookeaa

how about something like this in an appropriate jersey pocket?

mrmo
    Free Member

i just use

http://www.camelbak.com/en/International/Sports-Recreation/Packs/Hydrobak.aspx

if i have too

but try and avoid using anything as i hate all packs.

fifeandy
    Free Member

No feed stations to refill a double bottle setup?
    6hrs is into 3l bladder territory which tend to come in larger, heavier packs.

cookeaa

Camelbak did do the ‘velobak’/’racebak’ baselayers with an integrated 2L bladder but I think they binned the concept due to poor sales…

senorj

I like the camelbak rogue.
    1.5 litres I think ,quick feed stop fill up..,no waist strap though,never needed it .

steve_b77
    Free Member

Little table with multiple bottles

Kryton57

No feed stations to refill a double bottle setup?

No, ive 4 races which are approx 75k loops from start to finish. Its alsomfaster not tomstopmat fed stations 🙂

ferrals
    Free Member

The 1.5l rogue is fine to race with, pair with a 750ml bottle and your sorted? Probably not in midsummer though

stumpy01

+1 camelbak rogue….no waist strap, but generally the smaller packs don’t.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Camelbak Racebak, be a pain to refill, but gives you 2l on yourself, plus bottles on the bike

Scott MTB Marathons?

or a RaceFace Stash Tank

https://www.raceface.com/products/details/stash-mens-tank

Kryton57

Yes Scott MTB Marathons. I might just get a Camebak Hydrobak – 160g empty, leaves pockets free as ill need to be wearing Team Colours. On sale everywhere. £40 ish.

Or i could cut the frayed torn bits of my Octane as i cant use the pocket anyway. That still leaves the larger internal pocket for tool and tube, 2l and sternum pockets for gels. £0.

tomh1980
    Free Member

For the Scott Marathons it’s faster to just take a decent sized bottle and refill it at the feed stations, time lost is peanuts compared to lugging around 3kg of water from the start.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I agree with tomh above.
    I did pretty much the full series of those marathons in 2011 using a camelbak approach, and with that experience I decided not to do it again!

2x750ml bottles and carry sachets of your favourite energy drink. You’ll only need to stop at 1 feed station – will cost you 2 mins tops. Carrying 2-3kg extra weight on your back from the start of the race will cost you more than that in fatigue.

Kryton57

I spotted that dirty rider thanks.

Two bottles. Ok. Carbon HT or Anthem? Looks ok for the HT which is the faster bike for me being 5lbs lighter. I rode the gorrick 6h on it so I can cope with the time.

vdubber67
    Free Member

They’re not races you know…. 😉

fifeandy
    Free Member

For me they are mostly HT courses, but can be a bit hairy in places.

Kryton57

Hairy? In what way?

fifeandy
    Free Member

In a you’re happily bimbling along a fire road and then arrow points left straight down a vertical scree slope which you surf down with saddle thumping you in ribs trying to steer just enough to avoid the 3 people that have fallen off in front of you.

The problem is stuff like that only popped up a couple of times per course – totally not worth factoring into bike choice, but not really fun to ride with a steep HA and skinny tyres.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Need one of these

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight XC event hydration pack?’ is closed to new replies.