Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Lightweight Wheelset Recommends…
  • ltheisinger
    Free Member

I have the XT776 wheelset currently, just after some recommends on a new lighter weight wheelset? (XT776 is 980g front & 1090g rear).

What would you buy & why?

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Thanks for those links, I should have said I am running 20mm front hub and not totally XC – I like to take on the ‘rough stuff’ once in a while too!

foxyrider
    Free Member

prob go for hope hubs then unless you wanna go CK? 🙂 Sorry prob not that helpful! BTW my mate is selling his CK front 20mm wheel on Flows if you are interested 🙂 (only front)

see FBK on STW if your interested.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Thanks FR…

As for the offer of the other, thanks but sorry – I am after need Front & Rear.

Northwind

Roval Traversees maybe? Mine are the older model but they’ve been ace, DT Swiss-made hubs, light but strong DT spokes, blatant Stans ripoff rims. But they do seem to be stupidly expensive now.

You won’t save a vast amount going to Hope Hoops with Flows, but they’re very good.

rob2
    Free Member

American classics. Totally bombproof in my experience. Deals at clee cycles too

pugster007
    Free Member

I have, and would recommend Hope ProII with Stans Crest (f 870 + r 745 = 1615g), lighter, wider and stronger than my ‘spare’ set which is ProIII with DT4.2 (784 + 927 = 1721g).
    Multiple axle options, great bearing seals, servicing and spares support 2nd to none. Shop around and you can get a set for £250.

FuzzyWuzzy

Either DT 240 hubs + Stans Flow, Roval Traversee’s or Industry Nine’s would get my vote, depending on budget and how bling you want them to look. If you want to annoy the bejesus out of people get something with a Hope hub.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Wheelpro have a set of stans on DT
    hubs for 250 which seem pretty good for the cash.

bigjim

That Wheelpro site is mildly worrying. At the top it says “I am no longer selling Hope Hoops.” then a few lines down the page it says “I no longer offer custom wheelbuilding, I only sell Hope Hoops made by Hope Technology. “. I can only conclude they are only selling one pair of wheels?

Macavity
    Free Member

Looking at the hub failures on here
    http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/000.html
    makes me wonder about lightweight.
    Maybe Shimano have heavy = reliable?

MarkCotton
    Free Member

Gipiemme have laucnhed a revitalized 2011 range and are back in the UK with some quality MTB wheels, strong, light and not too costly, they could handle the rought stuff and would fit in with the weight range you wanted (1390g for about £500 isnt bad) and they come in tubeless or tubular! Use DT Swiss or their own light weight hubs depending on the wheelset and the rims are all made in their factory in Italy.

http://www.gabbydaycyclesport.com/site/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=518&category_id=107&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Country_Gent
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of Hope Pro2 with Stans Crest rims and DT Swiss SuperComp spokes.

Build up to just over 1400g for the set (I think).

Got them from Just Riding Along. Great service.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The wheelpro site is strange – but that sale set of wheels looks good – you will prob struggle to find a better set of hand-built wheels…

joolsburger
    Free Member

I understand that Roger Musson (wheelpro) literally wrote THE book on wheelbuilding.

He used to build wheels – I have a set they are unbreakable, then he stopped building and just sold hope hoops, more recently he has stopped selling those and I believe that set of DT’s are his last.

If I needed wheels I’d be on those like a shot.

cynic-al
    Free Member

So he’s still got plenty of magic dust Junkyard? 😉 🙄

Oh and I’d agree I’ve seen lots of other hubs fail (Hope, Campag other lightweight stuff) but no shimano (bar reports of new freehubs dying prematurely) – so you get reliability for the weight.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Lots of votes for the Pro2/Stans Crest – I will take a look. Thanks for the replies!

If I wanted to go slightly more on the bling side….what then?

thejesmonddingo

I’ve got Stan’s Crest on Stan’s ZTR hubs from Justridingalong,lovely wheels,1415gm the pair @ £329.
    Ian

JPcapel
    Free Member

Mavic Crossmax SX.
    Lighter model to the ST.
    Can take 15mm front axle as well as 20mm.
    Weight circa 1550grams (f&r). On pair with Rovals but not so flexy.
    Feel very rigid, so far done 4ft drops and coped fine.
    Have transformed bike in terms of reducing unsprung mass and improving accleration.
    Look v.bling – quite pricey – got mine via Evans £550 (ish).
    Replaced Flow rims on Hope Pro II hubs. Massive weight difference.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

JPcapel – Member

Mavic Crossmax SX.
    Lighter model to the ST.
    Can take 15mm front axle as well as 20mm.
    Weight circa 1550grams (f&r). On pair with Rovals but not so flexy.
    Feel very rigid, so far done 4ft drops and coped fine.
    Have transformed bike in terms of reducing unsprung mass and improving accleration.
    Look v.bling – quite pricey – got mine via Evans £550 (ish).
    Replaced Flow rims on Hope Pro II hubs. Massive weight difference.

Interesting…..I was looking at the Mavic Crossmax SX!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight Wheelset Recommends…’ is closed to new replies.