Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Lightweight tents (again)
  • DrJ

I know this has been covered before, and some recommendations made, but I’d appreciate the thoughts of the STW expert committee.

I want to climb up a mountain (or hill) in the UK, take photos of sunset, camp out overnight, take photos of the sunrise, and either walk down again and go home or (less likely) walk somewhere else and repeat the procedure.  As I’ll be carrying photo stuff and food and water, weight is a primary consideration. I want enough space for me and also for my kit, and I don’t want to end up with my camera in a puddle. On the other hand, if there is a storm brewing I’ll probably abort the mission. I know some the Hard Corps will say “for that you could just sleep in a bin bag” and it’s probably true but I am a softie and appreciate some level of comfort and protection from the elements.

I don’t want to spend money unnecessarily but I don’t want to spend the night trying to pitch the thing properly, or cling on to wayward poles etc.

What do you recommend?

tjagain

Budget?   Strong, light cheap pick two applies

I like Lightwave tents.  Very robust. Not too heavy but expensive.   Hilleberg top quality at a high price.  Wild Country do some decent tents that are inexpensive

seosamh77
    Free Member

an ebike with everything strapped to it would make weight less of a consideration. Sounds like what ever tent you use the combined weight of all the things you will be taking willl mount up, so a half a kilo on a tent isn’t really going to make all that much difference, you’ll probably be fairly heavy regardless.

The consideration then becomes what can you get the bike up mind with that approach, and even how to make all the stuff walkable for the last bits of whatever journey you make(ie chain the bike up and do the last bit on foot will get you to better camping spots.).

just a thought.

matt_outandabout

Vango F10 Helium can be had for £200 regularly, and it’s a 1kg tent. “Compact and bijoux” but works.

Wild Country Zephros 1 is also about 1.3kg and usually about £130. Not for tall people though.

scotroutes

Default answer is a Lunar Solo.

Single skin with excellent venting. Very open design giving great views (almost as good as a bivvy/tarp). It’s the tent I’d designed in my head before I found someone made it.

Not exactly a “mountain ” tent as regards winds but sounds like you don’t need that.

Spin
    Free Member

I like Lightwave tents.

I had a dreadful experience with them, both in the quality of the tent and their nonexistent customer service. Hands down the worst tent I’ve ever owned, impossible to pitch right, leaky pretty much from the word go and falling apart at the end of a 3 week tour.

Of course you can find someone who’s had a bad experience with any brand and your experience is obviously different.

poly
    Free Member

IMHO more important to your comfort, weight, and carriage headaches will be the groundmat you take.

presumably if you’re expecting sunsets/rises there is relatively little cloud cover; so the tent doesn’t need to be storm proof but no cloud = cold and so good insulation matters.

is this on the bike or are you walking? (The op refers to “walking down”).  Are you riding to the bottom of the hill?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Something with an upright pole.

Then use yourtripod.

Boom! grams of saving right there.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Last time I recommended a Wild Country tent on here, based OME with an original Terra Nova version, there was a number of people who came along and told of their bad experiences with Wild Country.

Apparently they are not what they used to be.

Spin
    Free Member

Apparently they are not what they used to be.

They’ve gone right downhill. Poor quality and poor customer service from what I can gather.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Our hoolie 2 etc was a joke of a tent.

Their customer service was modelled very closely to on-ones.

I won’t buy or recommend them again.

Lasted 3 pitches the first time before the poles shattered and lasted

They repaired it at my cost and it lasted a further 3 pitches before cracks started to propagate from poor manufacturing choices…… Crimped spigots instead of bonded. Managed to patch it together with duct tape for the rest of the 3 weeks but it’s in the bin now. Shortest lived tent I ever had.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Our hoolie 2 etc was a joke of a tent.

What a shame. I still have a Terra Nova Trisar I bought about 20 years ago. Still going strong, although I admit I haven’t used it for a few years.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

If you typically abandon the possibility of camping at the sign of rain then the Snugpak Ionosphere may be worth a look depending on how much kit you have?  Never used one myself as was put off by inner-first pitching.  That said, my trusty old Proaction Hike Lite pitches inner first, but I’ve yet to pitch in mad rain and favour the headspace, so as a (low level multi-night) tent it’s the bees-knees and would be improved by being better quality, and green instead of bright orange.  Which would basically make it a Nordisk Svalbard 1Sl.  Maybe check those out? 1.7kg but all that space and hurricane-proofing is ideal for comfort.

For more adventurous overnight stops at altitude I’m slightly interested in the Ionosphere, anyone here have experience of one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Snugpak-Ionosphere-Person-Olive-Green/product-reviews/B003U9851E/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_paging_btm_3?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&pageNumber=3

convert

I recently bought an MSR Hubba 1 Tour. The tour bit is important. It is really intended for cycle touring – it has the same amount of space as the standard hubba 1 in the inner but a very large porch. Large enough that you can sit in it under cover and cook or read or fiddle with your kit and at night is big enough for a (wheels off) bike. It is brilliant for me – I do actually use it for touring but like you do some photography related mountain walking. Enough covered space to get out your kit, dry it or just generally faff. Also use it when group leading with kids – enough space to sort stuff out, plan the next day or just brew a drink and keep an eye out for shenanigans once the kids are in their tents but without having to get into the sanctum of the inner but still keep out of the rain/midge. When you are doing a bit of semi serious photography with a tripod a reasonable slr, a couple of lenses and filters etc it’s a big bag of kit, you don’t want it all in the inner of a one man with you but don’t want to leave it outside. This has been a great compromise for this specific task.

It was a bit spendy but kept an eye out and got it £100+ off for £299 in an offer a few months back.

nickdavies

I’ve got a force ten helium, brilliant little tent for the money. £200 ish normally. The cheaper vango option isn’t bad either for £80, but the f10 is a bit lighter and a bit roomier at the foot end.

DrJ

Thanks for the replies. To clarify, I will be walking.  I like Hilleberg stuff – it’s what me an the missus use on our expeditions – but it’s out of budget for limited use. I’m thinking about 200 quid and hopefully 1.5kg or less.

Speaking of “out of budget” – has anyone splashed out on a Crux tent?

Spin
    Free Member

I’ll just recommend what I have…

Trekkertent Stealth 1.5. Light, weatherproof, made in Scotland and superb vfm.

scotroutes

Yep. TT Stealth is a good shout. I just prefer a side/long door.

burko73

Second hand laser comp off eBay. I got one for £100 or so last yr in mint condition.

sweepy
    Free Member

Speaking of “out of budget” – has anyone splashed out on a Crux tent?

The person I know who spends more time outdoor than anyone else had a crux a while ago, little geodesic thing.

I never heard him say a good word about it and he has 2 Hillebergs now.

matt_outandabout
    rene59
    Free Member

I would normally recommend a tent for wild camping over a bivvy setup for all circumstances except overnighters on summits in good weather. Its easier finding a suitable spot last minute to setup. Generally less midgies at that height, normally a breeze as well to keep them away which is half the reason I would normally go for a tent over bivvy.

tetrode
    Free Member

I’ve had a Vango Banshee 200 for the past 3 years and it’s been excellent. It’s not ultralight, but it is still lightweight and perfect for solo wild camping. It’s cheap too for such a good and light tent. I can definitely recommend that. Used it up in the Highlands, Lakes, Cornwall, Wales and Exmoor.

13thfloormonk

I have a Terra Nova Laser Comp, and a Northface Tadpole.

The Tadpole is twice the weight of the Laser Comp, but makes up for it in spaciousness, ease of pitching and ruggedness. It’s the tent I use most often unless I’m hiking over multiple summits/several days.

Pitched it on the side of a slope on Skye once with only a thermarest’s width of flat ground for me to lie on. Exposed and windy but it shrugged it off no bother. Would be entertaining to see what it could cope with if I ever bothered to use the guylines…

13thfloormonk

P.s. Definitely consider Ben Nevis for your summit camp, handy shelter (unfortunately used as a bit of a bin in summer…) great views, friendly local snow bunting, and over course all the other summits in the area are downhill for you the next morning! 😉

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Bombproof and will be outer up first (actually,all as one) and very quick to pitch, you’ll also probably be able to just use the outer without the inner as some sort of bivi/tarp, as well (if you want to save weight). groundsheet will be bombproof neoprene injected so your photo gear will be safe. They’re not the lightest at 1.5kg but will probably out live you.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mac-Pac-Microlight-Expedition-Tent-Good-condition/264040230503?hash=item3d7a062e67:g:jFQAAOSwq2xb7BBn:rk:2:pf:0

dyls

I have had my fair share of expensive lightweight tents as I used to be into wild camping. I could tell you a bit about camping stoves as well!

I currently have a Hilleberg Soulo and a TN Voyager. I wouldn’t put weight ahead of space as there is nothing worse than being ‘stuck’ in a very small tent when the weather turns. I have sold a TN Laser Comp and a Hilleberg Akto for this reason (very cramped). I like the space of the voyager, its bigger than the Soulo, but the Soulo will take more of a battering. I used to have the TN Voyager Superlite, but again, to me it was too flimsy for the 500g odd weight saving over the more robust standard TN Voyager.

tjagain

Interesting Spin.  When my lightwave had a small leak after days of rain and a got a small tear it was repaired at 3 years old free of charge no questions asked.

I too prefer 500g extra for a lot of space and robustness having been camping with pals when a terra nova lazer comp collapsed and broke poles in a gale my lightwave was fine

I do go out for multiple days at a time tho.  Not just one nighters

Spin
    Free Member

Every tent is a compromise of some kind, the trick is working out what kind of compromise suits you.

dyls

For £200 I’d look on ebay for a TN Voyager (normal) version. You may have to pay a bit over £200. It weighs about 2kg, wouldn’t bother me about the extra 500g over your 1.5kg limit. The only disadvantage is that it pitches inner first, but with practice in wet weather you can get it up very quick.

The hilleberg pitches outer and inner together.

As the poster above mentioned, I have heard good things about lightwave tents as well, but have never owned one.

supernova

I’m a bit of a tent collector and my current favourite is a Khufu from:

ホーム

Beautifully handmade in Japan. Definitely not cheap, but worth it in the long term. Very light and compact for the space.

I use it  for the same thing you are looking to do:

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/teenage-hiker-wilderness-camping-yellow-tent-on-mountain-sunrise-picture-id914644856?p=1&s=170667a

whitestone
    Free Member

Have a look here https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/tents-shelters-c25/one-person-tents-c74 but be prepared for some eye-watering prices.

As @tjagain says: strong, light, cheap – pick two.

We’ve a few tents: Terra Nova LaserComp – very small especially if you use inflatable sleeping mats rather than something like a Karrimat. I got mine in a sale at Needlesports in Keswick a few years ago so before the decline in quality. (Wild Country took over TN)

Next up is a Vango Spirit 200+, a two man tunnel tent with a large vestibule, almost as large as the sleeping area. Semi-freestanding in that it just needs a peg at either end but more pegs help pin it down in wild weather. It’s stood up to Hebridean storms. No longer available but there are several models with 200 in their name in their current range which are very similar. The big problem is that it weighs 3kg.

Our latest tent is a Big Agnes Copper Spur. Very light, 1.6kg with the extra groundsheet, but it’s very expensive, the one man version is just under 1kg. Very much a 3 season tent as there’s a lot of mesh on the inner. There’s a lot of room including head room – I can sit up without touching my head on the ceiling – much more than the Vango, a door either side (on the two man version) so you don’t have to climb over your partner for those inevitable nighttime excursions. Pitches inner first which hasn’t been a problem so far but an indication of its US midwest roots. We’ve not used it in rough weather yet so don’t know how it would stand up but it doesn’t feel as robust as the Vango.

That’s a quick look at what we’ve got. For your usage I’d second @scotroutes’ suggestion of the Lunar Solo or alternatively an BearPaw Lair which is closer to a tarp. There’s nothing wrong with tarps but there’s a bit of a learning curve in setting them up. The Lair is a “shaped” tarp rather than a flat sheet of material that you have to configure yourself. My “race” tarp with poles and pegs weighs 300g, add a bivy bag and I’m covered for all eventualities.

jonnyboi

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/quickhiker-ultralight-2-hiking-tent-2-man-grey-id_8245650.html?_cclid=v3_4243e44d-1711-53c5-9bc1-0f2ec346bfec&gclid=CjwKCAiAuMTfBRAcEiwAV4SDkf-OvhlnqkjYjXQykkUErRHhqeWtqi0hfkMoOhWHnyV_fd4IbwdRCxoCGPIQAvD_BwE

Sorry about the huge link.

ive used this one for mountain marathons in crappy weather and it’s been superb, plus it’s sub 2kg for a two man tent and £110. Strong, light, cheap…. pick three! 😉

tjagain

That looks really good for what the OP wants but slightly overoptimistic blurb IMO – two person for multiday – its tiny!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

That Decathlon tent looks good.  Tempted myself.

jonnyboi

That looks really good for what the OP wants but slightly overoptimistic blurb IMO – two person for multiday – its tiny!

its snug for two but liveable. The side awning is just big enough for your boots and a bit of cooking and you can get your bags inside.

ETA: as it’s decathlon they tend to go out of stock for long periods

footflaps

My two solo backpacking tents  (both since sold on here) were:

Macpac Minaret (2 man but light enough for 1 to carry). Cougar now has it and don’t think he’s used it. Was a proper 3-4 season tent, used it in winter a few times.

Macpac Microlight (proper 1-2 man mountain marathon tent). Not as sturdy but fine for KIMMs etc. Can’t recall who, on STW, bought it…

DrJ

I like swanky stuff as much as the next STW gearoholic but I’m wondering if that Decathlon tent is actually all I need for now. Those Locusgear tents look amazing (awesome photo too!) but it’s more than I can justify just now!!

trail_rat
    Free Member

We have a Vango zeneth that looks like that decathlon tent.

I wouldn’t want to be caught in bad weather atop a hill in it.

jackf

I know it was said that Hilleberg were out of price range, but I have nothing but good things to say about the products and the customer service. The Akto is a cracking little tent, with enough space for gear. The Nallo I’ve made work with two blokes and a dog! Used a few times this year, dartmoor and lakes. I think they are all well engineered. Is second hand an option?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight tents (again)’ is closed to new replies.