Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Lightweight Spine protection
  • maycontainnuts

It’s time for me to get back on the bike, 7 months ago I had an off resulting in an unstable fracture to T3 vertebra. I’ve been lucky enough to have recovered back to feeling pretty much as I did before my off, remarkable considering what the CT scans looked like and also sobering when I see other riders suffer a much worse outcome for similar injuries.

However with the glorious sunshine I’m itching to hit the trails again. My wife on the otherhand is worried sick, despite my assurances that it’ll be fine. She is insisting that I wear some sort of spine protection as standard when I go out riding, and with what I’ve put her through over these last 7 months that doesn’t sound too unreasonable a condition to a, get back on the bike and b, give her peace of mind.

So whats out there? Firstly I’m aware that there’s not much (if anything) on the market to stop the compressional type of injury I suffered. I’m looking for something that will be worn all the time (as that’s the deal), so needs to be lightweight and comfortable and will provide at least some basic padding (mainly impact injuries I suppose? ie. falling on something awkward, rocks, roots, bikes). Its go to be discrete, the stormtrooper look isn’t what I’m after.

I’ve checked out the singletrack review of backpacks with spine protection and like the look of the Endura, Evoc and Dakine ones. I would like a vest as well, this will give me more options as to what I can wear on the bike

Can anyone recommend a vest type of spine protection? Quite interested to hear if anyone has the POC VPD 2.0 vest or similar, tell me what you got.

Thanks

speedstar

Bliss ARG. I’ve been wearing their LD long sleeve top for a couple of years now and they’re still going strong.

maycontainnuts

Thanks speedstar, I’ll take a look. How big are you and how’s the fit? It says it can be washed with no detriment to the protective bit so I assume its part of the vest rather than a removable pad/s

speedstar

Yeah I wash them all the time with no issues. At 30C obviously like the rest of the kit. Do not whatever you do put them in a tumble dryer tho! I stupidly did when tired after a ride and slightly melted the spine protector although it’s still perfectly functional! Great pieces of kit and the most breathable I could find.

dmw536
    Free Member

I’ve got the old version of this https://7protection.com/gb/product/flex-suit/ and works pretty well.

I only use it for uplifts now but I wore it in 30+ degree heat in the alps on the trans savoie a couple years ago and that had some serious pedalling in it and was the acceptable side of bloody warm when pedalling.

facian
    Free Member

On the backpack side, i have an EVOC FR Enduro 16 Litre for bigger days out and it’s great. Doesn’t feel too big and bulky but it’ll happily take a full 2L drinks bladder and a change of kit/overnight stuff for a weekend out on the bike without going all bulgey and uncomfortable.

I was looking at getting the POC vest as it’s getting to the time of year where it’s nice to nip out for an hour or two sans-sac.

fossy

L4/T1 Unstable spinal fracture here (6.5 weeks in hospital 7 months off work).

Mine was on a road bike, caused by a car turning right – it was the deceleration forces that caused my spine to snap, and like your’s, a compression injury – crushed the disc and my L1

I’ve switched to MTB as I’m sick of getting mashed up by car drivers – at least falling off is my fault.

I’ve found my camelbak Lobo offers good protection, especially when filled with my waterproof and some spare tubes. I’ve landed on my back a few times at slow speed.

I will say I take things far easier these days and don’t risk it going down hill, especially the natural stuff – just couldn’t cope with that sort of injury again as it was seriously close to being in a wheelchair, and my employer wouldn’t be too happy.  I’m usually one of the faster riders in my group of mates UPHILL, but almost last downhill.

I still suffer a lot of back pain, mainly as half my L1 is missing (now a cheese wedge shape).  It’s very painful pushing a bike up a slope, but OK when on the bike.  Been laid up this weekend after doing some DIY !

I do always carry the camelbak now, so I’ll be watching this thread for ideas.

maycontainnuts

Thanks for the input so far. Anyone else with any recommendations or ones to avoid?

sweaman2
    Free Member

I like my CamelBak Kudu (T12 Compression fracture from casing a jump in Whistler bike park….).  I’m tall(ish) at 6ft and skinny (160lbs) so I found the large Evoc to be too wide across the shoulders whilst the Camelbak fitted my form better.  It also came with pockets on the hipbelt which I really like for snacks etc.  Mine is a year old and it’s massive for the quoted size.  I see the newer version actually allows the pack to be unzipped so you can just ride with the spine protector.

A friend who’s shorter though hated it when she tried it as the top of the protector was catching on the helmet when going downhill.

I also ride / ski with a Dainese back plate (Wave 11 D1 Air). It’s also good and feels more robust than the Camelbak. It rides lower and I don’t really notice it after couple of minutes use.

jlln
    Free Member

I have a Bliss top 3/4 length sleeve. It has elbow, shoulder and a lot of back protection, but since I generally where a pack while riding I don’t feel the back protection is all that necessary if the back pack has a few items stuffed inside. Sizing is bang on so just order your own – no need to overestimate. It’ a bit like a compression baselayer with a full length zip. Mine has been washed multiple times and still good, but I think if you’re only after back protection a good back pack with enough adjustability in the straps would do the job better – can at least be taken off some of the time.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I may have missed this but what sort of riding do you intend to do?

General woods riding?

Dirt jumps?

Senders?

Trail centres, if so what grades?

The armour you use will be best dictated by the style of riding tbh

Paceman
    Free Member

An Evoc FR Enduro backpack works for me, it’s a great pack anyway, the spine protector is an added bonus.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight Spine protection’ is closed to new replies.