Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Lightweight skewers, good or bad
  • jonb
    Free Member

I am hovering over the "buy it now" on a set of titanium QR skewers from hong kong on Ebay.

The alternative is to get a set of deore for £5 less on CRC.

So what does the STW population think about lightweight skewers? Will they fail and leave me a bloody mess on the trail or will they be fine?

It's to go on a stumpjumper fs. I'm leaning towards the dependable shimno at the minute as I'm scared of failures.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Without running a few calcs I'd be hard pressed to give you my official opinion. My personal opinion would be that I'd not bother, for the sake of a few grams and with my teeth in mind. Disc brakes and stretchy QRs dont mix.

If you're rim-brake only then go for it.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Shimano every time for me (XTR if I'm feeling posh).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

Shimano work the best. Why spend more to save a few grams and take the risk. Isn't Ti a bit stretchy?

jonb
    Free Member

Shimano it is then. I will same my ebay hong kong/taiwan purchases for things less critical.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I use Salsa skewers but with the same thinking behind them. I use stainless rods rather than ti

trail_rat
    Free Member

ti xlites for 2 years no probs for me….. jey xc though – anything else id use shimano

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

titanium front skewer with sus forks and disc brakes is a Very Bad Idea. Whatever you think of the Fox v Pinder case, sus forks flex (long forks flex more) and disc brakes put turning forces on forks which effectively stretch the Q/R. When the stress is released the Q/R will have a natural tendency to unwind. Titanium is MORE elastic than steel, so will stretch more than a steel skewer for the same load, making it more likely you'll find your front skewer coming undone and your front wheel coming out.

I wouldnt touch a Ti front skewer with a barge pole, even from a reputable manufacturer. I've had a steel Q/R front come loose on an alpine downhill. Luckily I stopped as I could hear a tinkling sound (which was the disc moving in the caliper) before I rode a jump or drop off, and now use 20mm bolt-thru..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight skewers, good or bad’ is closed to new replies.