Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Lightweight MTB cassettes 10 speed?
  • wm4wm4
    Free Member

Hi there,

Moving towards Dynasis 10 speed, mainly for the clutched rear mech as I’m struggling to keep my chain on with my XTR 9 speed set up. Note, I’m not using a bash ring as I’m running a Middleburn Uno chainring

I’m a bit of a weight weenie, mainly because I love climbing, and climbing quickly (or at least as quickly as my lungs will allow me)

Managed to get my RC200 (pics below) very close to 9kg with XTR 9 speed, and I’d like to stay there if poss.

Before anyone mentions it, I know the hope chain guide is wrong, just changed over to a low clamp which now fits…

I’ve recently bought the rear mech, shifter and chain, all I need now is the cassette. I was looking at the XTR 10 speed cassette, but it’s so bloody expensive, and not even that light.

I’ve heard mixed reviews about mucky nino, but nothing in the last year or so (emailed him, but no response). The KCNC ti 10 speed looks good, but at £300+ there is no chance I’m forking out for that.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Not really looking to spend much more than £100 on this…?

Cheers

http://s820.photobucket.com/user/imgbnk/slideshow/Pace%20RC200%20f8%20-%202013

mtbmatt
    Free Member

SRAM XX

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Ultegra 12-30

wm4wm4
    Free Member

Sram XX is pricey (more than XTR if I remember rightly)… also how does it shift with XTR Dynasis?

Also, forgot to mention need either 11-34, 11-36 or 12-36. Otherwise ultegra would be perfect

mtbmatt
    Free Member

SRAM XX works fine with XTR everything else.
    A lightweight cassette will cost money, end of story. If you want something under £100 then you are looking at XT or X0.

rwc03
    Free Member

X0 are £110 on eBay but get some mixed feedback:

http://forums.mtbr.com/sram/xg-1080-durability-719232.html

Fantastic Pace by the way

glacier79
    Free Member

You could always go for one of these, a bit pricey mind…

http://clee-cycles.co.uk/esite/P9903/product

njee20
    Free Member

Matt +1

If you just want to hang your bike on scales then Recon do alu cassettes, here, but longevity is dire and shifting poor.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Before I went 10 speed I had a cycle dynamics ti cassette
    It was as light as I could find but was utter rubbish

Then xtr was cheaper by a lot , only a little bit more weight and worked oh so we’ll with perfect shift every time

Even now I still use an xt 10 in place of a xx on my light ht

njee20
    Free Member

I found XX shifted perfectly, but they are chuffing expensive!

jonk

Road 10 speed cassettes are narrower than MTB AFAIK.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Same size. SRAM Red 10sp is compatible with XX. Same for Shimano.

njee20
    Free Member

1mm in it, hence the need for a spacer on road cassettes, not enough to make any real world difference whatsoever.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Xx shifts fine , its more the price that’s the issue for me

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The SRAM X0 (XG1080) is still a fair chunk lighter than XTR, and the XX (XG1099) is even lighter still.

I use a full Shimano drivetrain with a KMC X10SL chain & an XX cassette & it shifts prefectly.

The XX cassette is also surprisingly hard wearing. The main block looks in great condition still, even considering the amount of use it has & the weather. The 36T big aluminium ring looks worn & doggy, but it never skips, drops or grumbles, despite it’s appearance. I’m amazed how well it’s lasted, all things considered.

wm4wm4
    Free Member

Interesting stuff.

The XX cassette is available from action sports for about £190. Still a little too rich for m y money though.

Think, all things considered it might have to be good old XT, maybe go for an 11-34 as the weight is similar to an XTR 11-36.

If anyone sees any bargains or vouchers though…

njee20
    Free Member

No point going 10 speed really with an 11-34 block, unless you really struggle with the gaps on a 9 speed one.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

jonk – Member

I run a 12-30 Ultegra, with XT Shadow+ and its best gear set up Ive used for MTB

cookeaa

If it’s the clutched mech you’re after for chain retention, rather than the extra sprocket have you considered doing the +6mm bodge on the mech cable clamp OF a Dynasys mech to allow you to operate it with a SRAM 9 speed shifter?

It would mean you could keep your current 9 speed cogs and chain, and only have to pay out for a new mech/shifter rather than chain/cassette/rings as well, cheaper option?

wm4wm4
    Free Member

Nice idea on the bodge. I did look into it, but my current 9 speed chain and cassette are quite worn, so would need replacing soon anyway. Funnily enough the 9s XTR cassettes are even more pricey!

I’m normally fine on 11-34 around Dorking and most of Wales, but I’m off to Scotland in September and would probably like a little more.

Still haven’t decided…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight MTB cassettes 10 speed?’ is closed to new replies.