Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Lightweight Disc Brake? Which one?
  • large418
    Free Member

Hi,
    I have just got some newish forks for my race hardtail, which is being built up to be around 9kg. I need to get a new front brake to go with the Post Mount forks, as I currently only have IS mount calipers (Hope Mono Mini with 160mm alligator rotor). I don’t want to go down the adaptor route, as that adds 20mm to the rotor size, which I think is too much for the racing I do, and 40-50grams to the bike (every little helps!)
    I am not too flush, so am happy to go down the 2nd hand route, but what brakes should I be looking at?
    For the caliper and lever I want something sub 300g, so I am in the Hope Race X2 bracket I think, but SLX’s look very cheap, but I am not sure of the weight.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. If you have a suitable brake for sale I might also be interested.

Ta

njee20
    Free Member

On One were clearing out the old XX brakes for £100 an end or so.

To be honest though, an XT brake with KCNC rotor, ti caliper bolts and alu clamp bolts will be reasonably light and not too expensive.

relliott6879
    Free Member

I’ve just got a set of Deore (M596) brakes and, comparing them side by side with an old M525 brake I have, both the caliper and lever are positively anorexic. They’re only £60 per end too, oould be worth a look.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You can get hope mini calipers post mount. try to get one secondhand or as a spare new? will work with your existing lever

andrewh
    Free Member

Have a look on French or Italian ebay, plenty of Formula R1s on there. Can be had for less than £400 for a pair. Maybe even cheaper if you use your current rotors.
    I have two sets of these (third coming when budget allows) and they have been excellent, power, weight and reliability.
    If price is a bit much the RXs are very similar and not a lot heavier.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight Disc Brake? Which one?’ is closed to new replies.