Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Lightweight cycling caps
  • mashr

I’ve got a bit of a dodgy eye, but also like to race CX. I’m looking for a cap that can (maybe) help keep some crap out of my eye in the start sprint whilst also not cooking my head when I’m 50mins in and feel like I’m about to expire.

Castelli A/C might be the answer, but seems to be discontinued (admittedly still available in very bright red). Are there any others around? Most descriptions are pretty generic. Thanks

P20

Ralph’s do some lightweight ones. I’ve never used it on the bike though, only when hill walking to stop my head from burning. Head doesn’t get too hot with it

joshvegas
    Free Member

Cheapest cotton ones work great abd i’m a sweaty sweaty man who struggles in heat which is anything above 15degrees.

Love me a cycling cap.

kilo

Cheap clear safety glasses which you chuck to the side after a lap. We were cx marshals at the weekend- all the people with caps looked very hot! Mrs Kilo also got handed five pairs of glasses over the day

mashr

Safety glasses aren’t a bad idea, but the next race is a tarmac start into (inevitably) wet grass. Would be needing rid of them after 200m unfortunately, any longer and it’d be an interesting off camber plunge!

Bez

Grip Grab make a mesh one (with normal peak) in several colours. Tried one but it was quite small on me, in that it fitted my head ok but the rim was higher than I like it; if you wanted it for under a helmet that might not be an issue.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@mashr what size head are you? I’ve got a L/XL Walz lightweight cap that’s too big for me. I guess it’s around a 60cm. Happy to send on to you for a pint.

mashr

Thanks for the offer, think that would be too big for me though.

Grip Grab might be a good un, looks very similar to the Morvelo Cranium that I’ve also found. OTOH, still nothing that looks as light as the Castelli, so might have to just deal with the red!

IvanMTB
    Free Member

I’ve got a bit of a dodgy eye,

I’m looking for a cap

Am I missing something or cycling caps all the sudden gained power of repealing grime from eyes???

Until now I always thought that eye-wear, preferably sport glasses with low bottom opening is the way to go.
    But I’m not sure anymore… Can someone please enlighten me?
    Cheers!
    I.

Mister-P
    Free Member

visor

BenjiM

I use one of these for just that reason and comes in handy for the commute! A bit pricey but it’s good kit:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-wear-c7-gore-texr-cap/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=100520833&kpid=100520833&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mckv|seexvgNZ1_dc|mcrid|295297463276|mkw||mmt||mrd|100520833uk|mslid||&mkwid=seexvgNZ1_dc&pcrid=295297463276&prd=100520833uk&pgrid=60973418042&ptaid=pla-576383970847&gclid=CjwKCAjw2qHsBRAGEiwAMbPoDDy4gP3nAgucK0H4N8-Y_yW95R9I7flT6vfK26BJG-fP2slH8mi0qxoCIiwQAvD_BwE

Oggles
    Free Member

Cut the peak off an old cap and Velcro it to the inside of your helmet, between the EPS and the pads? Or underneath the front rim?

Not convinced that even a lightweight cap is going to stop you from overheating in a cross race, whatever the weather!

lunge

Clear glasses as a start.
    And combine with a cheap, cotton cap with the top cut off so it’s just a head band. Keep the sun/dirt out of your eyes and means the top of your head can feel the air.

ads678

Can’t understand why you wouldn’t just wear glasses, if you want to take them off after a bit just stick them in your jersey pocket!!

mashr

Am I missing something or cycling caps all the sudden gained power of repealing grime from eyes???

Until now I always thought that eye-wear, preferably sport glasses with low bottom opening is the way to go.
    But I’m not sure anymore… Can someone please enlighten me?
    Cheers!
    I.

Sudden? Been a thing for a long long time. The dirt i’m trying to keep out isn’t coming from my wheels, so a cap can help (but certainly not eliminate) some of the crap flying towards me.

ads678

Can’t understand why you wouldn’t just wear glasses, if you want to take them off after a bit just stick them in your jersey pocket!!

As previously mentioned, eyewear will be useless after the first couple of hundred meters unless the weather decides to be very kind.

Not convinced that even a lightweight cap is going to stop you from overheating in a cross race, whatever the weather!

Either am I, but worth a shot

Think Mister P has nailed it there tbh

IvanMTB
    Free Member

As previously mentioned, eyewear will be useless after the first couple of hundred meters unless the weather decides to be very kind.

That is of course joke? Not a serious thing? Since when quick wipe of even the thickest mud with index finger is not doing the trick?

And BTW, yes, I was racing CX in very, very muddy condition. Never felt any need to throw away glasses after 200 meters…

Cheers!
    I.

mashr

Mud and soaking wet as you arrive at the grass at a decent pace. Finger would likely just smear over the glass

rOcKeTdOg

Chapeau do lots of colours in their summer cap, tea bag like perforations on the top. We’ve got loads

Cheapest and most affective way to stay clean is win the start sprint & keep the lead 😉

CraigW
    Free Member

Walz Caps in the technical material are good. A lot cooler than than a cotton cap. And quite stretchy, can help for fitting larger heads.

mashr

Cheapest and most affective way to stay clean is win the start sprint & keep the lead

This is plan A of course

shedbrewed
    Free Member

As a year-round cap wearer I’d also add that they soak up sweat and keep it from your eyes a whole lot better than no cap does.
    25’c and dusty

10’c and wet and muddy
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B2uUCwkFerN/?igshid=16br2q7db94xp

Just a week apart.
    I just use a Castelli cap as I find it’s a good balance between material thickness and comfort.
    And I like the colour.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight cycling caps’ is closed to new replies.