lightweight but wide bikepacking mat

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • lightweight but wide bikepacking mat
  • Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

I have a Thermarest NeoAir XLite currently which is v light and packs v small, fine for overnight but the lack of width bugs me on longer trips! I generally sleep on my back but there’s no room for elbows on this mat!! Looking online some people are not bothered by this, some are – and there are some creative solutions ranging from sleeping with arms crossed like Count Dracula to using shoes as elbow pillows! I think I’m just going to get a different, wider, mat though, probably a rectangular one (as the aggressive taper definitely exacerbates the problem).

Any recommendations? Got to be wide, comfy & ideally a similar light weight 350-500g ideally. Just looking online at specs, etc, Exped SynMat UL LW looks ok, as do Nemo Tensor Wide & a couple of Big Agnes wide ones (but they are expensive!)

tjagain

I am a very active sleeper and what has made a big difference to me is to use 5mm closed cell foam as a tent footprint. Its about 100G more than a conventional footprint for my tent ( but much bulkier) but means the whole tent floor is warm and comfy! a great help when I thrash about and end up off the sleeping mat!

whitestone

I’ve the standard width Exped mat and it’s just wide enough for me, 42″ chest but I’m a fairly static sleeper and tend to sleep on my side. The wide version would definitely be enough room, there’s another 15cm. The wide version seems to add about 100g to the weight of the standard width.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

what has made a big difference to me is to use 5mm closed cell foam as a tent footprint.

Hmmm interesting… I take it this is something you got & cut to size yourself? Where did you source the foam from?

The wide version seems to add about 100g to the weight of the standard width.

Ta, yeah that’s similar to the one I’m looking at, expect rectangular rather than tapered (I reckon you lose quite a lot of width with the taper which is part of the problem with the Thermarest one I’ve got currently).

tjagain

found the foam on t’internet. sorry no link and yes I just cut it to size myself. It needed to be creased so it folded up concertina style ( rolling made a silly shaped package) but its still as big as if not bigger than an old skool karrimat

Premier Icon swavis
    Subscriber

I’ve never used one but I’ve been looking at the Alpkit Cloudbase as I have the same problems when sleeping. The Cloudbase seems a bit wider and without the taper unlike my Neo air so thought it might be worth a try.

Premier Icon jimdubleyou
    Subscriber

The Cloudbase has a small taper.

My arms fall down the side of mine if I’m on my back but I’m a side sleeper so it’s not a big deal for me.

Premier Icon swavis
    Subscriber

Ahh, thanks, I’ll stick with my neo air and just sleep on my side then 🙂

scotroutes

Sleeping on your side is better for anyone camping near you too…

ruddy

Have a look at the klymit static v as v wide and great for side sleepers.

I’ve one and been impressed. Not sure on weight though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.