• This topic has 20 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Spin.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • lightweight 3/4 season 2 man tent
  • hooja
    Free Member

Evening all,
    just wondering if i can glean some knowledge or opinions from you all.
    Im in the market for a tent, last one i had was a terra nova quasar, several years ago, which was great in the mountains but a bit heavy if i was off on my own.
    Basically a Hilleberg nallo2 would tick my boxes but it is waaay too expensive. I would like to find something around the 2kg mark, good wind/weather resistance and enough room for 2 and their kit, even if you get tented in for long periods.
    Best i have found, price wise is this:Husky Sawaj ultra
    or this:Husky flame
    However, first one just doesn’t look up to the job and the second is pretty heavy and i know nothing of this company, so they may be utter tutt.
    Does anyone have any experience of Husky tents or any other recommendations, as I’m a bit out of the loop these days?
    Thanks in advance

peterfile
    Free Member

I don’t know much about Husky.

Worth having a look at Lighwave tents. They have lots of different models, and you can often find them on sale (TISO were doing them for 33% off not that long ago). I’ve never owned one, but have slept in one (and helped pitch/strike it), really well made tents and did the job in some pretty awful weather.

hooja
    Free Member

forgot about them, the t20 hyper looks great but sadly too pricey again. Thanks though, its another to keep an eye out for

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Spin
    Free Member

Those links require a login. So can’t really comment.

Spin
    Free Member

For a cheaper version of the Nallo check out the Vango Nitro range. Last years models are still available and although a bit heavier than this years are heavily discounted and excellent value.

We’ve just got a Nitro 200+ for £250.

footflaps

Macpac Minaret?

Macpac are great as they pitch outer first, so you can keep the inner dry in the rain. I’ve used it in winter, fine as long as you can get a few pegs in….

Many moons ago:

hooja
    Free Member

sorry, didn’t realize, they are both on the companies site here: sawaj ultra
    and here: flame

All good suggestions, thanks, i will check them out.
    £100 for the husky is tempting though, even though it may be a let down…and bright red

daveob
    Free Member

How light weight? I have a Wild Country Zephros 2 1.6kg, £120 and I think it’s awesome. Been out in 100mph winds and it survived.

flatfish
    Free Member

TNF Tadpole 1.2kg iirc.

ElShalimo

Lightwave are great tents for the money.
    Terra Nova Voyager is also a great tent but I find them small (I’m 6ft1.5in). I wouldn’t want to spend a lot of time in one.
    MSR makes good tents but again high(ish) cost
    For a good balance of cost, space, weight & strength Vaude Taurus Ultralight, and variants thereof, are pretty good. My mate’s survived some rough storms when we were high in the Corsican mountians.

flatfish – TNF Tadpole is more like 2.2kg plus its groundsheet is not very robust, it will be tea-bag like after your first pitch on semi-rough ground

daveob – 100mph!!.. really? I reckon 100kmh would be enough to find its limit. At 100mph top end Everest expedition tents get shredded to bits

This comparison chart should be useful but it doesn’t list all tents

nedrapier

Hilleberg? Borrowed a mates 2 man at the weekend. Insanely expensive, but very, very nicely put together, easy to erect, and light. Lots of “why don’t all tents have this?” features.

Edit: missed the bit about Hilleberg in your post, sorry!

flatfish
    Free Member

Sorry I meant 2.2kg not 1.2.
    My mistake
    😳

tinribz
    Free Member

Been trawling the interwebs myself lately. Two man with gear is really 3 man territory.

Have looked at some of the ultralight weight ones and it seems they are either made of cling film, or with the American ones especially, the inners are made from a pair of fishnet stockings and pricy – Mutha Hubba HP, go-lite shangri-la, northface rock 3.

Robens are worth a look for quality at simplyhike, and i did find a roomy light one called Coleman Novae – 1.8 2 man or 2.3kg 3 man.

But I’m coming round to the idea you need two, a solo one < 2kg tent and 3 man up to 3.5kg which you share carrying.

Prefer dome types, top of my list at the moment for an all rounder is the Terratrio 3p – 2.8kg although not really a dome. Vaude have a few lighter ones too.

http://www.ubergear.co.uk/vaude-terratrio-3p.html

Am am also going to take a look at a Vango Mirage 300 at go-outdoors, 4m2 but a bit hefty at 3.6kgs.

ElShalimo

If you can wait for the delivery TarpTents from the US have an excellent reputation and can be modified to suit your needs.
    They are very popular with backpackers

BrickMan

Easton Kilo!

Its big enough for 2 but has essentially no porch or anything.

950g or so, and on one were doing them for £150 a few weeks back 😉

I was so damn tempted to get one, but then car sucked my wallet dry, ARSE!

trail_rat
    Free Member

My vaude taurus was really impressive

Id buy another if i didnt want a bigger tent….

Mines died a slow death in australia after we lived in it for 6 months pitching up every day touring new zealand

Before that it survived gales on raasay that saw folks tents take off into the firth ( it was pitched tail to the wind and tied to 2 trees 🙂 )

hooja
    Free Member

cheers all, loads of food for thought. Think i have convinced myself to get some more money in the pot and, head down either the terra nova route again or maybe a lightwave. Missus would kill me if i bou=ght a hilleberg.
    Would mostly be used in high mountains right through the year, so gotta be a strong one, without a silly 80% mesh liner.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Just watched the tarp tent vid ….

Would not like to spend a wet night in scotland in one …..

b1galus
    Free Member

my nallo two is fifteen years old just had it refurbished at a cost of forty quid now good to go for another fifteen years so thirty years for £ 390 invested isn’t that expensive, now i know they are double that now but still works for me

footflaps

I have two tents:

2kg Macpac Minaret – lightweight backpacking tent, used in all weathers and seasons, fine for two people and cooking in porch in rain.

4.5kg TNF VE25 – For winter climbing trips where you’re spending several days based in the tent eg in a Scottish Corrie. Split between two people to carry.

If I had to pick one, it would be the Minaret – it’s the one I’ve used the most.

Spin
    Free Member

2kg Macpac Minaret – lightweight backpacking tent, used in all weathers and seasons, fine for two people and cooking in porch in rain.

I loved my Minaret too until we did an extended and rather wet tour during which time I grew to hate it.

Too small for 2 people for more than a few days and a porch that doesn’t even have room for 4 panniers much less cooking. Also pretty bad condensation issues in humid weather.

It is bombproof though.

3kg is closer to the actual weight for mine although newer models might be lighter.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘lightweight 3/4 season 2 man tent’ is closed to new replies.