• This topic has 34 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Spin.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Lightweight 1 person bikepacking tent
  • olibluegoat
    Free Member

Looking for a lighweight 1 person tent for bikepacking that can that robust enough to survive our english weather. Was looking at the 6 moon lunar but a bit worroied about the single skin design. Quite like to thought of the better protection of a double skin. Any reccomenadtions that strike the unicorn balance of room, waterproofness, lightneess and managing condensation.

scotroutes

Lunar Solo is excellent. I’ve used mine extensively. I’ve only once had condensation issues and that was on the coast when there was a thick haar that had coated everything. They are very popular on the Bearbones forum and a couple of friends of mine have bought them after seeing mine.

A few years ago, I thought up what I would want in a custom tent. When I explained it, someone told me it already existed 😂

whitestone
    Free Member

The Lunar Solo gets used by quite a few over on Bearbones so do a search on the forums there and is sturdy enough to handle Scottish storms. It’s big enough that condensation isn’t a problem. I’ve the Gatewood Cape which is the same design but without the built-in floor and you only get condensation on the worst nights.

There’s the Trekkertent models which are designed and made in Scotland.

Other options: Big Agnes do bikepacking versions of a couple of models, basically the poles have shorter sections so they pack better on a bike. We’ve the two man Copper Spur – 1.5kg including groundsheet – I’d say it’s more a three season tent plus it pitches inner first.

stevemorg2

My Lunar Solo LE has been great – pitched properly there’s not a lot of condensation and I appreciate the extra space of the LE over the standard model

scotroutes

Also in the 1.5kg bracket is the Scarp 1. Definitely a more robust, stronger, roomier tent and suitable for 4 seasons in Scotland.

whitestone
    Free Member

Managing condensation is really a case of managing airflow: better airflow => less condensation. Some nights you’ll get condensation no matter what even in two skin tents.

Meant to say, I’ve only used my Gatewood once, my wife now nabs it every time we head out!

winston
    Free Member

I just bought a Berghaus Peak 3.1 Pro for hardly any money (less than £100). I just couldn’t justify spending more

It weighs 1.7 but that can be slimmed down by 150 grams with lighter pegs and a different stuffsack, pitches outer first, can be pitched in the dark easily by touch, is 110cm high so you can it up, has room for gear in the dry and the fly comes right down to the ground. Very waterproof and good vents.

The pole is too long but when taken out of the bag and stored separately it is ok. Does annoy me though – why can’t they put another section in? Nobody wants long pole sections these days

A lot of the more expensive lightweight tents look ideal for use in the cold and dry……..but not average UK conditions.

Colour is a bit rubbish as well – should be more muted but at least its not red like the cheaper non pro version

epicyclo

Can’t remember the name of mine, but one use was all it got. A condensation coffin. I’d sooner use a tarp or a bivvy bag.

martinhutch

Other options: Big Agnes do bikepacking versions of a couple of models, basically the poles have shorter sections so they pack better on a bike. We’ve the two man Copper Spur – 1.5kg including groundsheet – I’d say it’s more a three season tent plus it pitches inner first.

I have the Fly Creek UL1. Packs down really small, but I’ve never found a one-man tent where you can eliminate condensation.

tjagain

Trekkeretents are really nicely made. I have a custom drift but for solo the stealth looks good and is very light for a 2 skin tent. Custom options available for the inner as well.

My drift custom is am 3 person sized one – and still only 1.2 kilos ( ex poles as it uses trekking poles or bear bones can make you poles)

http://www.trekkertent.com/home/20-3-season

Simon

I picked up a 2nd hand Trekkertent Stealth 1.5 on Ebay.
    Only pitched it in the garden so far but it seems well made and a decent size for solo camping. Weighs 1100g including bag, pegs and DAC aluminium poles.
    Outer has the extra zip at the back for more ventilation or so you can open it out and use as a tarp.
    I looked at getting poles from Bearbones but I couldn’t afford the carbon ones and they no longer sell the aluminium ones.
    After a lot of searching I got my poles from here https://giantpygmy.net/shop/index.php?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=dac&submit_search=

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Quite like to thought of the better protection of a double skin

Inners are really more about effective ventilation than ‘protection’. ie even with a ‘double-skin’ if the flysheet is compromised then inner won’t really at all save you from the weather. If by ‘protection’ you mean thermal/windchill then there can be benefits to an inner. Pockets too.

Never seen the Lunar before, looks like a good design and is certainly lightweight! My old ProAction Hike Lite is double that weight … but I do get more comfort on longer trips by way of enhanced ventilation and storage pockets. Is it worth the kilo extra? Depends. I tend to tour and basecamp rather than pitch nightly

CraigW
    Free Member

Alpkit Soloist is quite nice. Fairly tall, room to sit up inside, so doesn’t feel too cramped. Weighs about 1.5kg with the footprint. With the footprint, can pitch outer first, or only the outer if wanted to save weight.

Merak

Ahem.

Merak
    metalheart
    Free Member

[cough]

a couple of friends of mine have bought them after seeing mine.

[/cough]

I guess that’s me then… 🤔

I have a Force10 Helium 2 allegedly two man tent (wouldn’t want to put that to the test…) but only take it in the worst of weather. It’s a decent tent of itself, decent weight, low bulk, reasonably sturdy but it’s ‘closed in’. Great on a campsite, not so great when camped up in the middle of the Cairngorm mountains somewhere. I want to see where I am.

I love the openness of the Lunar Solo, room, insect mesh and it’s compactness. One pole and a handful of pegs and you’re good to go. Yes, it can suffer from condensation (as does most tents in reality, but I’ve had more issues with the frost build up inside than anything else… 🤣

I usually leave the flaps rolled up (which helps ventilation) to get the views.

Pitching the LS needs technique but it’s easy enough after practice.

Lunar solo:

Helium 2:

ETA: LS can suffer in the wind (one pole…)

scotroutes

MH – Paul bought one too

scotroutes

Partial Lunar eclipse

sweepy
    Free Member

I went with the Hilleberg enan. Plenty of room for me at 6’3 and sets up quick and easy. tent

eskay

https://www.winfieldsoutdoors.co.uk/wild-country-zephyros-1-compact-tent/

I bought one of these after signing up for the jenride in the lakes.

What attracted me was the compact packed size. I have only put it up in my living room so far, looks well made and I am looking forward to spending a night in it.

tjagain

Seeing as folk are putting up pictures – my custom trekkertent drift 2 / 3

Its massive for a 1.2kg tent ( ex poles). 3m point to point, 2.8m side to side

I did a lot of research before I bought it. Weight / price / size ratio very good and scottish made. He would do me a custom version to give us the space we wanted for using for months on end so effectively it has an extended porch – you can get inside and take your waterproofs off without opening the inner

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hga3jn]IMG_1135[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

senorj

Sorry to butt in,I’ve been looking at the alp kit efforts.
    Are they any good ? Ordos, are there better tents for the money?

boblo
    Free Member

Is the Laser Competition not the default one manner any more? And fail to those above showing off their 2-3 person jobbies, the question was about 1 man tents. Tssk.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Interesting to see others tents.
    Anyone other than me using a GoLite ShangriLa3 (SL3)?
    I got a bit carried away so it has an Oookworks 2/3 tub and carbon pole but I stick with the Y alloy pegs.
    Weight around 1200g I think. Been a long time since I weighed it.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

I use the Wild Country Zephyros 2. It can be pitched without the inner too.

scotroutes

the question was about 1 man tents. Tssk.

The question was about lightweight 1 person tents. 1.5Kg isn’t lightweight for a 1 person tent 🙂

boxelder

Terra nova and Robbens tents with 25% off at Milletts? As a Trekkertent Stealth owner, I wouldn’t want to be out in wild weather in it, but as a light tent for ‘normal’ spring/summer, it’s great.

roverpig

Is the Laser Competition not the default one manner any more?

This. Sub 1kg for the comp 1 I think and pitched properly it’s probably as robust as any of the above. Double skin so less condensation. But it’s been a while since I looked at tents, so maybe things have moved on now.

boblo
    Free Member

For those getting condensation, and it’s probably unavoidable in these small tents, top tip for free…

I carry a J cloth type dishcloth and wipe out the condensation whilst having my first cuppa. Avoids transferring most of the mister to the inner and carrying it all day of course.

winston
    Free Member

How long do these sub 1kg tents last though?   I did think about spending 300-500 but they seem so fragile….

EdwardH

I have a Nordisk Telemark 2 LW, weighs 850 grams, is quick and easy to put up, is supposed to be able to handle any weather. It can suffer from condensation (dont all small tents) if not put up correctly.

I spent ages researching which bikepacking tent to go for, other than cost this ticked all the boxes and I haven’t seen anything that betters it since I started using it.

tjagain

Winston

They do seem pretty robust. Puncturing the floor is always an issue – many folk use a footprint but that adds more weight. I use a closed cell foam footprint for added comfyness, warmth and protection – it adds a couple of hundred grammes but is very bulky

In my research I did not find any complaints of trekkertents being damaged by the weather ( or others) I think the old strong light cheap pick any two applies so when paying hundreds you should get strong and light

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve also got a LaserComp, weighs 1.2kg so not the ultralight version. Supposedly a 1+ person tent but you have to be good friends if you do have a companion. Also I wouldn’t use an inflatable mat in one – there really isn’t very much room then.

boblo
    Free Member

I’m on my second Laser Comp. I had well over 200 nights on the first one. Got a good deal on a new one and sold the old one on. As above, it’s the groundsheet that gets the wear unless you get caught out in a hoolie.

<edit> not sure a how a Laser Competition weighs 1.2kg… Are you sure it’s the one man Competition version by Terra Nova? There’s lots of variations/versions so it’s likely it’s something else… A little under a KG is the expected weight for a Comp.

Spin
    Free Member

Is the Laser Competition not the default one manner any more?

I think things have moved on quite a bit from that. I had a Laser 2, replaced it with a trekkertent stealth 1.5 and find it to be better in almost every way.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight 1 person bikepacking tent’ is closed to new replies.