Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Lights: Gloworm XSV experiences?
  • devash
    Free Member

Currently in the market for a new front bar mounted light for trail riding. At present I’m running an older Gloworm X2 (1500 lumens version) and a Fluxient helmet light (supposedly 600 lumens or approx).

This setup is great for XC night rides but I feel that I could do with a bit more juice for faster trails.

I’ve seen that CRC / Wiggle are doing the latest Gloworm XSV (3600 lumens max) with all the bells and whistles for £200ish which is a fair price IMHO. Online reviews are all glowing (pun intended) but I’d be interested in some real world experiences from you good folk before I pull the trigger. Thanks in advance!

Big-Bud
    Free Member

I picked up one from Tri sport (wiggle CRC returns eBay shop) sold as not working
    I took a punt as it was without battery and it works perfectly
    It’s mega bright and very light and the quslis exceptional
    I too have the older x2 and that has also been bombproof
    This thing turns night into day
    I’d be more than happy if id paid full price

stevemorg2

Have the XS and that was a lot brighter than the X2 I had before – another option might be a keep the X2 (it’s a great light) and get more powerful lamp for the helmet – I’m running a 4 Fourths Scorch – 2000 lumen which works really well

jeffl

@devash If you’re looking for a 4 Fourths Scorch I have one spare that I could sell. Have both the scorch and an exposure joystick to compare and decided I prefer the spotttier option of the joystick.

Scorch had a replacement 3400 mAh battery and service in Feb 2021 and has been used half a dozen times since then. Let me know if you’re interested.

seriousrikk

I have the very light you are considering.

It is very good, no question about that.

It is also moderately infuriating at times. It frustrates me massively that I need to tell the two button remote to work in two button mode every time I use the light. This is because you pair the remote as a fresh device every time you connect the battery to the light. You have to do this every time you use the light because if you don’t the battery will drain. It does that anyway, just slower if it is disconnected.

Also, the charging port requires a small, finicky insecure adapter to connect to a USB-C cable. It’s got a USB-C socket but because it is a deep set weather proof socket there is no USB-C cable I have found yet that will connect without this stupid adapter.

Also, they have two cable lengths. One is too short to put the batter anywhere other than on top of the top tube right behind the stem, the other is too long and means cable needs wrapping around all manner of things to stop it snagging.

I think I probably had higher hopes but it feels like they have built a great light, come up with some design issues and just bodged them.

devash
    Free Member

Thanks for all the information, really useful.

@seriousrikk
    I’ve seen a couple of reviews mention the fickle charging adapter. Is the battery pack just like a modified phone power bank with a waterproof case and LED screen? Re: the Bluetooth remote, that is odd that it forgets the pairing when you remove the battery.

@jeffl
    Thanks for the offer, quite tempting but to be honest after years of experimenting with various light combos I’ve found that I prefer most of my lumens on the bar rather than on my helmet.

teethgrinder

Magicshine RN3000.

seriousrikk

@devash sorry, didn’t get a notification for your tag.

I honestly don’t know if the Bluetooth shiz is in the battery or the light head, but it does look a lot like a power bank with a display. Currently looking to modify a cable and see if I can make that work.

The remote doesn’t completely lose pairing, you have to press a button within a few seconds to pair it. You then have to remember the sequence of buttons to press in order to make both buttons work.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.