Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • lightish cranks for 1×10?
  • reggiegasket
    Free Member

I need to buy some new 170mm crank arms to go 1×10 for the 29er, to run a single NW ring. I don’t want SRAM as I don’t want a GXP BB.

XT appear to be the obvious choice for a lightish setup…

Is XT much lighter than SLX?
    Any other options?

nemesis
    Free Member

Oh, otherwise, second hand XTR M970 cranks. You can get them comfortably under £100 now and they’re great.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ahwiles
    Free Member

xt isn’t even much lighter than deore.

about 40g.

woo.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

ta.

Are the latest XTs any lighter?

I’ve been on the lookout for 970s but the latest lot have all been tatty, it seems.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

what about a direct mount (non-spider) setup? Any candidates there (that aren’t super £)?

fathomer

The new RaceFace Tubines? Though I think you need one of their BB’s.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

XT is handy too as I can go with the new 96BCD spider, so 30t rings are an option.

warpcow
    Free Member

30t rings are available for 104BCD too. 96mm seems pretty poorly served compared to 104mm.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

You can use SRAM cranks with a Shimano BB.

X01 cranks are reasonably cheap on CRC at the moment. They are light (ish) too. Even lighter if you run a direct mount ring.

Not interested in the Turbines – experience of RF BB life being measured in a matter of minutes & you are stuck using theirs with that design with the fatter axle.

daver27
    Free Member

Another vote for the turbines, ace cranks and the ability to fine tune your chainline beyond adding/removing spacers behind the bb shell, which is handy for running 1 x 10/11

Rorschach
    Free Member

Use a hope bb with a gxp adaptor and Crc have got X01 cranks for £140.Add an Absolute black direct mount thick/thin ring and you’ve got some seriously light cranks for not too much £.Just like me 😀

reggiegasket
    Free Member

You can use SRAM cranks with a Shimano BB.

I thought they were GXP or BB30…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

GXP is still a 24mm axle, it just tapers to 22mm on the NDS bearing – you just need a small spacer that slides over the tapered NDS end of the axle.

It’s a bit like the Hope GXP adapter. I think it’s a company called Brightline who make them. It was about £5.

Slid it on, fit cranks, profit!

scruff
    Free Member

I got turbines with BB and triple chainrings from France website for £125, flogged the rings, kept Bb for spare. Installed using Saint BB and its fine. Looks better than shimano, and thats what counts.

GolfChick
    Free Member

I did have a pair of raceface cranks but broke them by the threaded collar coming loose from the crank body so I now run SRAM x01 cranks with an adapter for my chris king installed so I dont run GXP, nice and light and so far no problems.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I got turbines with BB and triple chainrings from France website for £125, flogged the rings, kept Bb for spare. Installed using Saint BB and its fine. Looks better than shimano, and thats what counts.

Which is great, until you realise Turbine arms weigh more than SLX arms.

mboy
    Free Member

Deore Triple Chainsets are available for about £45 now…

Sell the chainrings for about £25.

Leaves you with a crank and new BB for £20. A new BB is more than £10 even if you buy from Germany and in bulk anyway, so a Deore crank has cost you less than a tenner effectively!

Spend the money you’ve saved elsewhere on the bike, somewhere that matters more than saving 40g off the weight of the crank!

Northwind

I went with the old XTR approach too (M970). Trivial weight saving but they’re also pretty inexpensive (because people wear out the original rings then discover how much they cost and just dump them on ebay/classifieds).

orangeboy
    Free Member

I’ve got xtr arms that were sold with out rings or fixing bolt
    Can’t fault them

Or older xt hollow tech for octalink bb depending on your frame

mattbee

I run Race Face Next XC. Nice and light & they fit a Shimano BB.

Scamper
    Free Member

I did as mboy suggests. However, the paint and shimano lettering rubs off the cranks after just one ride.

droppinneutron
    Free Member

What BCD are the Sram X0 cranks?

nuke

Deore Triple Chainsets are available for about £45 now…

Whilst very good, SLX can be had for not much more…think i paid £63 for my SLX cranks (with BB and rings) from Ribble when they had extra 10% off

angeldust
    Free Member

RF turbine cinch with spiderless direct mount are pretty light.

mboy
    Free Member

I did as mboy suggests. However, the paint and shimano lettering rubs off the cranks after just one ride.

A bit of hecalopter tape, or…

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Anyone make a narrow wide chainring for the direct mount middleburn rs8 ??

mikewsmith
    Free Member

SRAM on a Hope GXP
    Raceface on a Hope BB

Cranks and BB’s are not that tied together.

edhornby

if you do wind up with a raceface BB, ride it (about 11 times) until the bearings die, then send it to BETD and they will put bearings in it that are rock solid. Job done.

Northwind

@Mike- I don’t think anyone else makes a BB compatible with the latest Raceface?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is all race Face the over sized standard?

tymbian
    Free Member

@ futon…I think Middleburn do. Check their site.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run a pressfit so don’t really want to start messing about with BBs. Not a fan of GXP either.

Going to pull the trigger on some discounted XTs from CRC I think.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘lightish cranks for 1×10?’ is closed to new replies.