Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Lighting a gas AGA without the piezo igniter
  • MaryHinge
    Free Member

So my son has just moved into a house with a gas AGA. For whatever reason he turned the gas supply off, so the pilot light went out.

I can’t seem to find the ignitor, I think it has been disconnected, seems they are a common failure.

There are a couple of “windows” behind the control door, and it looks like one has had a glass taken off.

I take it it is possible to light it with a long match through the top window. Looks like that’s what the previous occupants did.

Does anyone have experience of this, and can tell me what the process is?

br
    Free Member

As with most things, Google would be quicker:

http://www.rayburn-web.co.uk/Prodin/Aga%20current%20cookers/Aga%20Gas%202%20and%204%20oven%20OF/Aga%20gas%202%20&%204%20ov%20open%20flue%20user%2009-10%20%20EOPI%20510800.pdf

‘Flue safety device’?

We’ve an oil one, so sorry can’t help more.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Thanks b r, I did google but only got the official lighting procedure, which is the link that you posted.

What I need is the ghetto version, where the piezo has been removed and I need to know which buttons to press and hold and where to stick a lighted match, whilst retaining a house around the AGA 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

chuck a burning rag down the flue?

😉

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I was afraid he might try that last night after we left!

He is still alive this afternoon, so he must’ve listened to my warnings.

trail_rat
    Free Member

is it rental ? i viewed a house once where the previous tennent obviously used a camping stove for cooking and a bombola gas fire/electric heaters on a timer

agas aint cheap to run. might explain why the things just shut down fully.

i walked away ….

pealy
    Free Member

We have to do this all the time..

If it’s anything like ours, you need to get it up to temperature quite slowly.

I use a match blu-tacked to the end of a pencil.

When it lights, turn the gas up only a tiny bit and leave a few hours before nudging up a bit more then repeat ad-nauseam until (a) it’s working like a trooper or (b) the wind blows it out again.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Lighting a gas AGA without the piezo igniter’ is closed to new replies.