Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • lightheadedness – any ideas why??
  • macmclaren
    Free Member

ive been out in dubai about a week starting a new job. In the last couple of days ive started to feel pretty lightheaded. Im not out in the heat much. I get it most in aircon buildings.

Any ideas before i put the wheels in motion to get checked out. As im new here i dont want to cause bother if it could be a simple problem.

Im used to working abroad, in the heat etc and this is the first time ive had this problem.

Any ideas???

hora
    Free Member

Stress? Dehydration. Too much alcohol

macmclaren
    Free Member

no stress really, Thought about dehydration but ive been drinking loads. Not alcohol. Only thing i hardly ate for a couple of days. THough im eating fine now. Bit baffled really.

hora
    Free Member

Too much caffeine?

Kramer
    Free Member

What colour is your urine?

ourmaninthenorth

Only thing i hardly ate for a couple of days.

Hypoglycaemia?

hora
    Free Member

Kramer, actually thats an idea. Go to your GP’s and get your urine PH etc tested

Kramer
    Free Member

hora – no. If your urine is anything other than completely clear, you’re dehydrated and need to drink more. No need to have it tested.

mrsflash
    Free Member

anaemic?

sor
    Free Member

Pull down yout lower eyelids and have a peek at the colour inside. They should be red. If they’re pale then it’s a sign of anemia.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor. I don’t even like them! But when I mentioned my tendency to fall over due to lightheadedness to my sister, this was how she diagnosed me. The inside of my eyelids were white.

hora
    Free Member

There are a few Docs on here?

macmclaren
    Free Member

sor – that was dead on. lower eyelids are pretty white, got some iron/vit c tablets and ill see if they help. If not ill get to the doc.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Oi, I think it was me who suggested anaemia first matey! 😉

things to help; don’t drink tea or coffee with meals, drink fruit juice to help absorb the iron. Also brown bread, brocolli, spinach etc all high in iron. As is chocolate hurrah!

FieldMarshall

Your urine could be too clear, (can’t rememember the medical term) but you have had to much fluid but have not replaced the salts lost through sweating. Especially if you have not eaten.

UpQuickDownSlow

You could be too fit. As I get fitter my blood pressure drops, so I feel light headed if I get up suddenly.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Kramer – Member

hora – no. If your urine is anything other than completely clear, you’re dehydrated and need to drink more. No need to have it tested.

So absence of colour in urine means you’re hydrated? Rubbish.

You could be running high blood sugars, spilling protein and ketones (and potentially diabetic).

Healthy urine has colour. Too dark is dehydrated, no colour could mean you’re over hydrated and flushing nutrients out when you pee.

hazeii
    Free Member

Hence the advice to aim for a straw colour.

Body’s seem to take a while to settle down to a change in environment, so normally I’d be in the ‘give it time’ camp. However, given the much more informed advice above about anemia I’d go down the Doc’s (or borrow some EPO off a roadie 😉 ).

sor
    Free Member

OP – if you’re prefering to avoid the trip to the doctor then give the iron/vit c tablets a fortnight to get you back up to where your iron should be.

And also do what mrsflash says, that’s all good stuff there. Liver, if you can eat it, is also very high in iron. And look for ‘fortified’ brekkie cereals. I found Somerfield’s own brand rice crispies had a much higher iron content than Kellog’s.

What the doc can do really quite easily is ensure it is iron-deficiency anemia (there are a few varieties of anemia) and track down and tackle the underlying cause. They’ll also give you sometihng else to help with the usual side-effect of iron tablets – constipation.

hora
    Free Member

macmclaren go easy on the iron. You could iron-OD. Theres a term for that. Although you havent eaten much recently modern processed food can be over-fortified with iron.

Get the pee-test done. When I was convinced I could be diabetic etc they did a simple PH-test etc to check the levels. A blood test should be good as well.

One more thing, you havent been having hots*x with Burka-wearing-suspender-clad hotties now have we? 8) 🙄

Kramer
    Free Member

Iron overdose – heamachromatosis

Passing large amounts of dilute urine – Diabetes insipidus, Diabetes Mellitus, and the nephrotic syndrome.

Urine is not meant to be straw coloured, it is meant to be clear with a very pale tinge to it at most. Admittedly passing inappropriately large amounts of clear urine is symptomatic of various diseases, but that’s not what the OP asked. New onset lightheadedness in someone who has moved to a warmer climate is likely to be dehydration, if their urine is also dark, that makes the diagnosis more likely.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Testing pH isn’t usual for diagnosing diabetic issues – it’s usually a dip test for sugar and presence of protein.

Urine should be pale yellow, a pigment supplied to the urine by processing dead blood cells from the liver, called urochrome.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

when i was training hard, i was lighthead/dizzy a lot of the time. had a full set of blood tests done which showed nothing, but my blood pressure was really low – this is apparently common in athletes, especially female ones. eating little and often, and making sure i was eating good food helped as well. taking iron has also helped – despite testing negative for anaemia.

qwerty
    Free Member

long Q-T ?

see ya!!!!!!!!

😉

odannyboy
    Free Member

go easy with vit c and iron.take the exact dose only.to much iron and you wont poo for days-not good and too much vit c and your pee will turn flourecent yellow and youll be going every 10 mins, trust me ,ive been there!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘lightheadedness – any ideas why??’ is closed to new replies.