Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Lighter tyres than Highroller LUST
  • mtbtom
    Free Member

Got Maxxis Highroller LUST tyres (running tubeless) on my bike.

Pretty happy with the traction, rolling resistance and puncture / pinch resistance but they seem a little porky (nearly 1kg a tyre IIRC). Particularly for my usual riding conditions; trail centres and woodsy singletrack.

Any other tubless-ready or UST tyres people use that are a little less heavy? Was looking at Hans Dampf, but have heard about reliability issues – lugs being torn off and the like.

Would really rather have UST or TLR tyres. Had a nasty crash once when a non-tubeless ready burped off the rim, so I guess if the answer is ‘no, all TLR tyres are that heavy’ then that’s the compromise I’m willing to make.

chiefgrooveguru

Loads of choice! I personally really like the Trail King 2.2 Protection (which are a fair bit bigger volume than a HR 2.35 and about the same size as a HR2 2.3). Roll fast for how grippy they are, handle most conditions well.

chakaping
    Free Member

Maxxis Exo TR High Roller 2 will be a bit lighter than 1kg, even if you’re on a 29er.

I have one of them on the front and a DHR2 on the rear and they’re a pretty good compromise I reckon.

deadkenny
    Free Member

LUST/UST are always heavy and largely not required these days as TR tyres have got so good. Just avoid non-tubeless ready tyres if you’re concerned (though I’ve never burped Maxxis non tubeless). A TR High Roller is much lighter than a LUST. HR2 is much better in my opinion though a little bit heavier than the HR.

Decent rims and TR tyres. TR are fair bit lighter than full UST. Also folding rather than wire will be lighter. If you don’t want burping, make sure they’re seated properly, you don’t have tyres too wide on narrow rims, plenty of sealant (refresh it often), and TR tyres.

Never burped tubeless, though have to admit I’m neither heavy or aggressive in my landings.

scraggy
    Free Member

Continental trail kings 2.2 ust,great tyres weigh in at 800 grams only 50 more than the protection version.mine weighed 750 and came in the grippy black chilli rubber,26 ers mind you

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

HR2.3 upfront trail king on the rear for summer as experiment. HR is by far the better tyre for grip cornering etc IMHO. I also appreciate HRs robust qualities

philwarren11
    Free Member

Specialized Purgatory grid. 2.3, tubless, 730g, quite fast rolling, cant ask for much more. 35 quid for 26″ too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Lighter tyres than Highroller LUST’ is closed to new replies.