Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Lighter evenings from today!
  • Esme
    Free Member

Explanation on last year’s thread – enjoy your extra second!

Watty

Hurrah, summer will soon be here.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

evening’s have been getting lighter for over a week. Though admittedly the days start getting longer around now.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scaredypants

22nd is the turning point down here in (decreasingly) sunny southern hampshire

flanagaj
    Free Member

Hurrah, summer will soon be here.

Keep it down. I’m trying to hibernate until the clocks go forward.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I thought it was tomorrow, so thats a nice piece of news.

8)

nedrapier

what Dan Geourbrain said. evenings getting longer since the 13th.

More: http://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/equation-of-time.html

jambourgie
    Free Member

evening’s have been getting lighter for over a week. Though admittedly the days start getting longer around now.

Wait, wut?

bruneep
    Gary_M
    Free Member

Roll on end of February so I can leave for work in daylight 🙂

soobalias
    Free Member

learn something new everyday…

Compared to SE UK
    I realised that Scotland has longer days in the summer, but didn’t figure that Spain has longer days in the winter.

nedrapier

Locations closer to the Equator have their earliest sunset sometime in November. Locations at higher latitudes, on the other hand, have their earliest sunset later, closer to the actual date of the winter solstice.

Well I never.

nedrapier

Missed edit window:

what Dan Geourbrain said. evenings getting longer since the 13th in London.

More: http://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/equation-of-time.html

Locations closer to the Equator have their earliest sunset sometime in November. Locations at higher latitudes, on the other hand, have their earliest sunset later, closer to the actual date of the winter solstice.

Well I never.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Wait, wut[/quote]

So… mornings continue to get darker until about the 29th of December, evenings begin to get lighter from about the 10th. On or around the 20th the evening stays lighter by longer than the extra it stays dark for in the morning.

So days are still getting physically shorter from 10th-20th even though the evenings are starting to get longer.

The days get longer from the 20th-29th even though the mornings are still getting darker.

And this, but unless you’re living at the North pole, your earliest sunset is before the 20/21st.

Esme
    Free Member

Aberdeen started yesterday, according to Bruneep’s link.
    We’re talking about the timing of dusk, not about daylength.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Esme – Member
    We’re talking about the timing of dusk, not about daylength

I’ll admit my dates are (i think) aggregate figures for the northern hemisphere.

roach

Thought so

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

1601 sunset in Southampton for today and tomorrow, the corner has been turned.

Still a few more days to go until the latest sunrise (27th).

senorj

My solstice party starts tomorrow.
    🙂

pdw
    Free Member

We’re talking about the timing of dusk, not about daylength.

No, it says the 15th down at the bottom. The table only shows to the nearest minute. It’s 15:25 from 11th to 18th, but it actually turns the corner somewhere in the middle.

maccruiskeen

Is that because the earth is flat?

Esme
    Free Member

Well spotted, pdw! Just think of all those extra seconds of daylight that he’s wasted 😉

Gary_C

Yay!

Roll on longer daylight!

eddie11
    Free Member

This thread is useless without mint sauce pictures

zippykona

” let us witness the reincarnation of the sun”

P-Jay
    Free Member

One of my favourite days of the year, yeah Jan and Feb are pretty rough (and often wetter and colder than Nov and Dec) but at least we get a little bit more light everyday.

6 weeks and it’ll still be light when I leave work – I hate going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark.

[video]https://youtu.be/bgiQD56eWDk[/video]

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Good I can’t stand winter, because the heating is set to melt by the missus from October till May. Getting bored of going to work it’s dark and coming home it’s still dark.
    Roll on March 25th 2018.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Lighter evenings from today!’ is closed to new replies.