Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Lighter all mountain wheelset
  • graeme87
    Free Member

Hi there.
    I’m looking into getting a lighter wheel set for my alpine 160. It currently has mavic en321 rims on hope pro 2 evo hubs. Any suggestions?

Jeffus
    Free Member

Flow EX fairly light alternative

niksnr
    Free Member

+1 ^^^^^

hilton83
    Free Member

I run crossmax st, they’re pretty lightand plenty strong

Naranjada
    Free Member

I’ve got some Stans Flow (not EX) on Hope Pro III SP-AM4 and they’re pretty light AM wheels.

They’re for sale if you’re interested. In very, very good condition, totally straight, correctly tensioned, de-stickered, Stans yellow tape fitted and complete with 203F & 180R Hope rotors. Front is 20mm, rear is 10mm DT Swiss RWS.

Email in profile if you want to discuss.

chakaping
    Free Member

What’s your budget mate?

Crossmax SX would be the perfect match for that bike IMO.

mboy
    Free Member

Stans Flow EX would be the obvious choice. About 100g lighter per rim, though they’re not as tough as Mavic’s.

Are you running tubeless currently? Might be worth converting current wheels/tyres to a tubeless setup to save a small bit of weight for relatively cheap first…

graeme87
    Free Member

I’m running tubeless at the moment. Not looking to spend as much as the mavic crossmax but I am tempted. I’ve seen an Easton havoc wheelset on crc for 365. Think they are a fair bit lighter than I have?

Northwind

I used the old Flow on my trailbike for a couple of years, now they’re on the dh bike and still going strong. The Ex is slightly heavier, but also supposed to be a fair bit stronger (old one was tough but did ding easier than say a 721, mind you it always straightened out easily too 😉 )

You might find a Fulcrum Red Zone or Redzone XLR in your budget- I’ve not got enough rides on mine to give a big recommendation but they’ve been excellent so far. It’s Fulcrum’s take on the Crossmax SX and has it slightly beat on paper if not neccesarily in the metal.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Love my Flow EX rims on Pro2 Evos.

graeme87
    Free Member

Cheers guys

BrickMan

Mavic D321 is what I use.

I wouldn’t really put ‘lightness’ ahead of ‘all mountain’.

today I was out on some soggy trails, on the way home, got hooked out of a berm missing the bridge over the stream by a good 2ft and fell about 6ft (felt like much more) into the stream landing surprisingly cleanly on the other side.

If I’d really put some effort in I could have ridden away from my landing position in the stream. Instead of the bike breaking, or me breaking, I laughed so hard I hadn’t noticed I was now knee deep in freezing water. Only damage was seatpost was slightly twisted around.

This is what ‘AM’ is about to me, having a bike thats capable of going up, handles nicely, and isn’t so light you have to worry about things breaking when you have little off’s, instead you get to laugh hysterically while standing knee deep in freezing water in a gully. Awesome.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Lighter all mountain wheelset’ is closed to new replies.