Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Lightbicycle road wheels – opinions?
  • Shackleton

Mrs S was wondering about getting a lightbicycle wheelset like this one at 1200g/pair.

Can anyone offer advice on whether they are any good? Her current wheels are Mavic Aksiums (~1800g/pair), she is very light on components but does love a good fast spin on the bike. We live in Dundee so have plenty of steep hills on local rides that I imagine would be easier on lighter wheels. Would these wheels make life on the bike any “better” for her?

I can’t see any kind of braking surface on them either, does this make them scary in the wet (or dry)?

As you can tell I have no idea about road bikes. Hateful things in my opinion but she does like them……

NewRetroTom

I have LB rims on my mtb wheels. Was very impressed with the finishing standards and have had no problems with them so far.
    From what I have heard rim brakes are fine on carbon rims as long as you use the specific brake pads.
    Light wheels will make climbing hills easier/more fun. Whether the cost is worth it is a matter of opinion….

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

at the risk of sounding like an arse if you stick light bicycle into the forum search you’ll get loads of hits, and as you’ve probably realised at least half the posts on here are road bike related….

This very recent thread might be of use

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/450-chinese-carbon-road-wheels-or-650-heavily-discounted-factory-carbon-wheel-set

because I kind of hijacked it with thoughts on the exact wheels you’re looking at, which I bought this spring. Only thing I can’t comment on is wet weather braking.

mashiehood
    Free Member

Shackleton – I have their 35mm built onto some extralite hubs at 1200grams. Great wheels, but now up for sale as I have been fortunate enough to land myself a supersix which comes with enves. Let me know if interested. I have ridden them once for 50 miles!

Shackleton

mashiehood – Could you send me the spec and what you would want for them please? Email in profile if you would rather do it that way. Did you mean the 38mm rims or the 35mm U-shaped with the basalt surface?

If you have links to info on the hubs that would be grand too cheers.

mashiehood
    Free Member

You have mail

onandon
    Free Member

I could also be interested if you don’t work things out.

mashiehood
    Free Member

On and on – drop me an email

onandon
    Free Member

Email not working

mashiehood
    Free Member

On and on – tried to send you and email and that’s not working either – apologies for the hijack Shackleton

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Lightbicycle road wheels – opinions?’ is closed to new replies.