Light, winter, road frame, takes full guard

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Light, winter, road frame, takes full guard
  • Premier Icon djflexure
    Subscriber

First ride out of the year on my winter bike last weekend. Its a nice Kinesis 4S, built up with decent components and fairly light (rim brake) wheels but feels really heavy coming off a TREK Emonda. I ride with some guys who are still on their lightweight bikes through the winter and lighter definitely goes better. Having said that I like a proper winter bike with full guards. Any light frames out there take a full guard? I looked at the Boardman SLR 8.9 but it seemed quite heavy too. Ideally would find a rim brake frame to transfer kit but could also look at cycle to work.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Think you’ll struggle to get anything much better than what you have without spending silly money, to be honest.

I can’t recommend what I’ve got, as steel framed Condors are definitely not light

damascus

Think you’ll struggle to get anything much better than what you have without spending silly money, to be honest.

My saracen avro is full carbon, disc, threaded bb and takes full mudguards. You can sometimes pick them up on ebay for reasonable money.

Are you looking for a new bike or frame swop and mechanical brakes?

bjj.andy.w

Cannondale CADD13 ?

mtbtomo

My Saracen Avro isn’t light despite the carbon frame. Discs, thru axle wheels, then add mudguards and it all adds up.

As has been said, doubt you’ll save much weight on a Kinesis 4S unless you spend a lot and then, will it be what you’d want to ride in winter – taking mudguards etc?

Premier Icon djflexure
    Subscriber

Just wondered if there was anything out there that I was not aware of
    Seen the Dolan Dual frame – but does not seem light despite being carbon.
    The Boardman 9.6 disc takes a guard and they are meant to be light but thats a new bike which I could do but preference would be to swap frames.
    Planet X have had some cheap frames over recent weeks but I’d have to go back to a crud plastic guard. Anybody do this?
    I’ll probably just suck it up and get back into riding the 4S as its rock solid in the wet.

Premier Icon djflexure
    Subscriber

Can the CAAD13 take a guard? Quick look and I cant see that it does. Also has BB30 which might not be great in the winter.

No idea how light the frame is, but saw this promo earlier

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/disc-road-framesets/aluminium/dolan-rdx-aluminium-frameset-ultegra-r8020-hdr-groupset.html

£799, basically you get a free frame for the cost of Ultegra hydraulic groupset.

ransos

Mason Definition. A joy to ride.

bjj.andy.w

Can the CAAD13 take a guard? Quick look and I cant see that it does. Also has BB30 which might not be great in the winter.

Road CC did a test on them and yes they can take guards. As for the BB30 yes I’ve heard (pun intended) they can creak but a BB converter can eliminate this.

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

I can’t believe weight is really an issue. Heavy feel – so what? Think of it as a solid feel instead and console yourself with how fast your posh bike will FEEL when you get back on it

An extra 1-2 kilos? I doubt there’s a speed difference due to that, unless it’s REALLY hilly where you ride.

Then again, I’d much prefer discs on a winter bike so our views are clearly not aligned

TiRed

Winter bikes are supposed to be heavy. That said, something like a CAAD will be lighter but squeeze in guards. You really need carbon or Ti Though for serious winter lightness.

My fixed wheel is steel and has full guards. My winter Boardman also has guards and a rack. Both see service in group rides, although I was dropped this week due to a tailwind and under gearing.

Premier Icon djflexure
    Subscriber

can’t believe weight is really an issue.

Might be right – but I was surprised how heavy it felt. I wouldn’t care if I was riding alone, or in a slower group but I have just got back to riding with various moderately quicker groups. Speed can vary a bit but 19-20mph average over 50-75m. On my Trek this feels OK but last weekend the 4S felt really slow. Could have been an off day for me. Probably if I persevered, it would get better. Just asking what others do really as I’m stuck at work and cant go out.

footflaps

Just fitted full mud guards to one of these, not sure which Ribble model, but very light…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hE2zzm]Ribble bike[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

I used to think nothing of doing ~180 feet hill reps on my fatbike, which can weigh ~10.5Kg with the 29er wheels fitted with 28mm slicks.

But since buying my road bike, which weighs ~8.5Kg, I rarely bother doing fatbike hill reps.

There are other factors, such as I’d rather head out to the bigger hills around Butser or jump on the turbo, but these days I really feel the relative sluggishness of the fatbike up hills.

It doesn’t help that the 29er wheels are ~2.3Kg compared to my road wheels being ~1.5Kg, but it also doesn’t help I’m currently ~83Kg instead of the ~73Kg I was this time two years ago!

I notice 1.5kg, might not actually be any faster, but the lighter bike feels faster and more exciting, definitely more inclined to sprint a bit harder or push a bit deeper on climbs.

Have noticed magaxine reviewers all starting to pretend weight doesn’t matter any more, wonder if that co-incides with discs suddenly being ubiquitous…

Premier Icon tonyg2003
    Subscriber

Trek Domaine’s certainly good for mudguards and ride very very nicely

taxi25

I notice 1.5kg, might not actually be any faster, but the lighter bike feels faster and more exciting, 

Same for me, even though I have a nice winter bike I’ll ride my summer bike during winter provided it’s dry and I don’t need the mudguards.

shedbrewed

I’ve got a rim brake 2016 Trek Domane series 5 in the rabobank tribute colours that’s now surplus if you’re interested?
    Size 58 (Trek sizing, 56cm sloping top tube)

Happy to split if you just wanted frame/fork/seat topper.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

I have to say, my aim is to have a wet weather bike and a dry weather bike, rather than stick religiously to the season!

TiRed

Are you sure it’s weight and not geometry. A slacker head tube will handle slower and feel more sluggish. Similarly, is your position the same on both bikes. All of my road bikes have identical saddle position and handlebar reach and drop. They don’t feel appreciably different. Despite several kilos difference in weight. Tyres will also make a big difference to feel.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

Maybe just get winter wheels for the Emonda? Winter covers bikes in shit, but it washes off. Chains and cassettes wear, but cost less than whole new bikes. I know some people really like having mint condition bikes, but whats the point of a mint condition bike in the shed and riding something worse?

Premier Icon djflexure
    Subscriber

Took the TREK off Thom so we’ll see how I go on that. Hopefully I’ll feel much more special and average 0.1mph faster as a result 🙂

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

I have to say, my aim is to have a wet weather bike and a dry weather bike, rather than stick religiously to the season!

This is what I’ve done for a few years now.

Got one of these with full guards mounted year-round…
    https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/ribble-sportive-365-review/

Premier Icon djflexure
    Subscriber

The Dom

Worked out well – Thanks Thom

shedbrewed

Good to see. Enjoy 👍

Generally IME group rides don’t slow down in winter. My solution is use my summer bike and add a rear race blade. After all how many times do you really set out and ride in the rain?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.