Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Light weight mud tyre for Stans Crest?
  • jwmlee
    Free Member

After much swearing and braking (I kid you not!) a Park Tool tyre lever, I have decided to try a different tyre than Schwable Dirty Dans on my Hope XC 3 wheels.

The Dans have been a great tyre (installation aside). Very light, grippy and quick but it’s just not worth the pain.

Can you recommend a lightweight XC mud tyre which goes on Crest rims without all the blood (literally) sweat (not joking) and tears (almost).

Currently running tubes as I change my tyres season to season but would like a tubeless option if possible.

Thanks

Clobber
    Free Member

beaver

chillidave
    Free Member

Over 18 months I was running Mud X 1.8s on ZTR Olympics. Really happy with them, seem light, roll fast and stayed up with very little attention.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rickon
    Free Member

Beaver. Defo. Slack bead, light (500g’ish). It’s basically a better rolling Medusa, if you wanted a full on mud tyre from Maxxis – the Medusa is actually very good too – the eXception series is very light.

gee
    Free Member

I’ve run Dans on Crests with no problems at all…?

GB

jwmlee
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have managed to get the Dans on a few times but certainly not easy!

Dread to think what it would be like fixing a puncture in the rain and mud. Heard that the more recent Schwalbe tyres are more difficult to get on. Mine are 2011 Dirty Dan Evolution XC Folding.

PaulD
    Free Member

Pana Mud X are labelled as 440g, so a good starting point.

PaulD

jwmlee
    Free Member

PaulD – you mean these? Panaracer Fire Mud Pro Comp Tyre

Have you had them on Stans Crests?

PaulD
    Free Member

j,

Sorry for the mistake, I did mean the Panaracers that you have linked to, with a claim of only 420g now.

No experience with Crests…..but I did have trouble getting my Furious Freds on ZTR355s.

PaulD

chojin
    Free Member

The trick to getting *any* tyre on a set of crests is to sit the bead of the tyre (both sides) in the centre of the rim where it is recessed. If you do this, you’ll be able to get them on by hand… Almost.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve also run Dans on my Crests and Podiums with no problems. MTFU, you’d be hard pushed to find a better rival IMO.

xcneil
    Free Member

gee – this is STW after all ……

rewski
    Free Member

spesh storm control 2bliss, walls are thin though, split mine.

Paceman
    Free Member

+1 for Beavers

nicko74

Mud X.
    And as above, although obviously if you’ve been doing it a while it’s unnecessary advice: bead in the centre trough; washing up liquid on the bead, b*stard high pressure.

As a bonus, when the washing up liquid dries it sticks the bead to the rim.

jwmlee
    Free Member

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Chojin- Yes, use Stans recommended technique using the pushing the bead into the centre and working my way round from opposite the valve.

Have noticed on other threads that the 2011 Schwable tyres are much harder. My 2010 Ron/Ralphs go on and off no problem.

soobalias
    Free Member

if chojin or jwmlee fancy popping round to stick the 2.1 Advantage LUSTs on the ZTRs i would be grateful.

actually one is on, not up, but on

sam_underhill

Medusas go on my crests in the winter. Took them immediately before the “drought” when the trail were muddier than the entire winter!
    The exception version is nice and light, but a bit porous until you seal it up with stans.

njee20
    Free Member

Have noticed on other threads that the 2011 Schwable tyres are much harder. My 2010 Ron/Ralphs go on and off no problem.

When they went to the ‘tubeless ready’ bead they made they slightly smaller to aid inflation. Sadly the newer Stan’s rims were made slightly bigger to aid inflation!

If you can get older Schwalbes with the grey bead they go on far more easily!

Nick

K’in ‘ell, I’ve never had a problem getting tyres on to stans crests, schwalbe, specialized or bontrager, they just go on with thumbs and pump straight up no sealant, no washing up liquid, just air.

njee20
    Free Member

The newest Schwalbes are bloody tight it must be said!

br
    Free Member

its summer now, you don’t need mud tyres 🙂

jwmlee
    Free Member

b r – YES – and long may this weather last!

However, my 26er is going to be set up for wet weather and mud because I have a lovely brand new 29er for the dry 🙂

njee20 yes, very close to impossible. Couldn’t believe my eyes when I snapped that tyre leaver in two. Done with struggling along with the Dirty Dans. Also having trouble seating them – no matter how high I pump the tubes up, the tyre simply won’t pop into place. They are fantastic when they’re on but can’t be arsed with the hassle.

jwmlee
    Free Member

Just bought a pair of Beavers. Thanks for the advice!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Light weight mud tyre for Stans Crest?’ is closed to new replies.