Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Light – Trout vs Four4th
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Narrowed my search to these two. Both UK made, both have good reports, both bright and good VFM.

The troutie seems to use newer LEDs, the other is lighter and possibly better for helmet mounting?

Any STW views? Cheers!

Chris-S
    Free Member
    fatmax

Are Luminous new? I saw the guy post today. What's the deal – are they good and what's the price?
    Cheers
    FTM

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Looks a bit large and keen on helmet mounting if possible.

trout
    Free Member

How heavy is the four4th including helmet mount I cant seem to find the weight on their website.

It certainly comes in a better box 😳

gamo
    Free Member

Box goes in the bin!
    I can give a big thumbs up for the trout mini, fantastic little light!
    use mine on the bars but it weighs next to nothing so should be just as
    good on the helmet.

carlphillips
    Free Member

surf mat, if you pass through plymouth then your more than welcome to look at my troutlite i have the 6xpg one and its easily the brightest light i have seen to date. well impressed and troutie is a nice guy to deal with.

Duc
    Free Member

Can't speak for anything but the trout but for dealing with forgetful indecisive customers and still producing a great light he is surely the best !
    😆

Luminous
    Free Member

Hi.

Four4th use old LEDs. Not sure of the price, so can't comment on the vfm.

Looks suitable for helmet mount, but I've not seen a beam shot and the optic looks a bit "clipped" against the opening at the business end of the light.

If its absolute vfm, then imo, its my light or a Trout light.

Trout and I operate on very low margins, which means your cash is spent on the product, the actual componentry, which is the best vfm there is.
    imo.

Not sure what is on offer from the mighty Trout at the moment, I would hope theres some nice things to come soon…

There certainly is from me 😉
    In the meanwhile, its the Model 601, as seen on my webpage.

I know the website is a bit poor, I'm trying to find help with it.
    Please bare with me.

Hi Trout, how you doing 😉

getting ready for the hols ?, bet you're looking forward to it
    😀

pegglet
    Free Member

Trout all the way.did Gunnerside slateyfest t'other nite saw everything i needed,nil dab etc. Originally a sad pitiful 2000 lumen,then Trout tweeked it up to 2500. oh yeh, you can never have enough light…

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Trout every time without question

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

Luminous

I'll give you a hand with your web site if you like, I'm no mega web guru but could knock you up a nice one for an exchange of services instead of money – email in profile if your interested:)

radoggair
    Free Member

luminous and Trout.

How much for your bar mounted lights?

tonyg2003

A couple of the guys I ride with have Four4th lights and Del from Four4th has ridden with us a couple of times. The lights appear well made and have been reliable. I particularly like the helmet mounts – very simple. Reasonable beam spread. I can't compare them to Trout lights in terms of beams (nobody around here rides with them) but the pattern isn't quite as as my lumicycles.

Luminous
    Free Member

Christo.

Will try to mail you soon.

Radoggair.
    Can't speak for Trout directly, but I suggest you mail us for spec you're thinking of buying and prices.

Ta

😉

billyboulders
    Free Member

Trout. End of 😉

Xylene
    Free Member

Can yourself or Troutie produce a cheaper option using parts from other models? So rather than machining your own cases etc, retrofit to stock bought from DX or suchlike?

Surely with your skills and the cheaper chinese option you can put together something for the tighter of wallet or is it not possible with the profit margins etc?

robhughes
    Free Member

pegglet which light and what was the tweek.

trout
    Free Member

Quirrel

Possibly if I had enough money to invest in thousands of cheap bits
    but then the fun would go out of it for me .

true the machined housing is a big part of the cost of the light specially for my flat design and my Machinist mate said he could do stuff alot cheaper if I had round bits with radial fins .

But I did not want round cos I am an awkward sod .
    so even the 7UP light is sort of oval .

Here is a laff for you all .
    cos I was bored this week I have hacked out a light for myself .
    totally OTT but what the heck
    around 4000 lumens on full and runs off of a Makita 18 volt drill battery .

Why you may ask and I would have to say I dunno just cos it was there

trout
    Free Member

Nice one Pegglet 😉 now you have let the cat out of the bag
    Rob no you will need a bigger battery first.

Xylene
    Free Member

Possibly if I had enough money to invest in thousands of cheap bits
    but then the fun would go out of it for me .

Or you could have a list of items that somebody orders then for a fee you modify.

Luminous
    Free Member

Taking a housing and modifying it, is more Trout's domain.

He has machine equipment, which suits his capability to modify existing set-ups.

I simply don't have that kind of equipment at home, so just am not able to do that stuff. I am capable of using that equipment, if I had it.

But going on from there, my housings are designed to meet a few different requirements, they're designed to a standard I choose.

requirements to handle the heat from the LEDs, to package the internals, to be QR, to be weather proof, etc, etc.

I've designed my light to be a light by a mountain biker, for mountain bikers.

I just hope some people appreciate that approach to the design.

As far as the Magicshine light is concerned, I'm not sure how suitable it would be for modification.

I've seen and held one, had a look, but not dismantled one.

Trout may want to add something here regarding re-working / modifying the Magicshine, as he did a strip-down / photo catalogue of one, and posted it on STW
    😉

Luminous
    Free Member

Oh, btw, interesting light there Trout.

Had any feedback yet from the international space station, about a strange light wobbling around the North of England.
    😀

rOcKeTdOg

troutie told me his new stuff is going to be around sept time, my cash is waiting for that 🙂

granny_ring

Trout, will that latest light fit a mk four astra? 😀

krixmeister

Trout – is that a glass of whisky next to the light? +1 for style!

To the OP'er, I'm definitely happy with my Trout light – been used in very wet weather with no problems, and customer service throughout was great.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

So looking at the website, there's the 7UP and the mini.

7UP is more powerful and has a longer lasting battery but may be a bit of a neck breaker as a helmet mount.

Trout – how do the two compare?

Are you (as Rocket mentions) bringing out new stuff next month?

Do you sell spare batteries for both? How much are they?

And finally (!) – is there some sort of guarantee?

If all this is on the website then apologies!

D0NK

Quick Q for trout, everyone says your lights are the best, how so? are the optics you use as good as the competition or do you just trounce everything else out there with RAW POWER! just wondering.

mcboo
    Free Member

Another Trout fanboy here. I don't know anything about the tech side and care even less, Trout came highly recommended on here. Top man to deal with, I liked the idea of buying my lights from a man in his shed. Great build quality, all the power I will ever need.

Is it that time of year already we're doing the Troutlight thread?

trout
    Free Member

Man it early for all these light threads

Not sure an astra will have the power to push all those photons along in front unless you installed one at the rear too

Surf Matt
    I have used the 7up on the helmet and have a troutie special 7up for the job.

Slightly redesigned 7up on the way
    And a small light on the drawing board. But don't think it will be around before November/ dec sadly.

Smudge does the batteries. So spare quality ones are available quickly.

warranty nothing in writing but I have repaired lights if they fail way beyond the call of duty and stand by my stuff
    It would soon get about on here if I didn't.

Donk
    I wouldn't say they are the best but they are good
    Nope whilst they have power. I do a lot of testing to find good optics and LEDs
    They are also pretty good on the low settings

there is a lot of quality competition out there

And I have finally got one away with a mag to do a review in there lights shootout

Though STW have had a helmet light for a year nearly and were going to do a review on that 🙄

bazzer
    Free Member

I have a trout light and mates have 4fouths lights.

4fourths is really very neat and small, can get warm and auto dim if not moving. Really nicely made though and slightly smaller than a trout.

Trout is brighter but a little bit bigger, but it is smaller than it looks in any pictures. Heat management seems to be really good on it.

Tonyg I think I ride sometimes with the same people as you, Phil, Ilias and Gary etc, starting in QE park in the week.

Bazzer

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I erring towards the mini due to the size and 1200 lumens is plenty – hmmm…?!!

pegglet
    Free Member

need more lumens.wat u got? Mr.trout….pleeeze.(and i keep gob shut.)

gamo
    Free Member

Surf-mat the mini is a really good light and definetely bright, i have used a lot of different lights and the beam on this is spot on! it gives a fantastic spread in front of your wheel then throws a great beam down the trail.

After threats from riding buddies of being locked away in a room with only LEDs, batteries and a soldering iron for company, I've decided to join the cottage industry bandwagon to satisfy local demand.

It'll be a half width version of the 5500 Lumen monster I unleashed last year. http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-lights-do-you-run. Batteries are included within the case with an external frame battery pack for long rides.

Pics and beamshots to follow in the next few weeks. Probably limited to the 1500- 2000 Lumen range, it all depends on how hot the case can run.

The new Cree XM LED will be on my shopping list for this design as well 🙂

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Light – Trout vs Four4th’ is closed to new replies.