Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Light thread got me thinking – how do I (sensibly?!) reduce the weight of mine
  • Aus
    Free Member

The "light thread" threw up quite a few bikes at <22 lbs which seems pretty impressive. Made me wonder why mine's relatively heavy? Not sure what I could sensibly change vs significant weight loss (tyres are winter ones)?

thomthumb
    Free Member

a lot of the light weight threads have some very dubious weights.

unfortunatley it's rare to lose any significant weight off a bike by changing one component.

you have a 10kg bike to lose 10% you need to lose your back wheel – or change every component for similar one with 10% less weight.

usually tyres grips and wheels offer the most weight to be dropped.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

oops, I just spluffed 😳 😀

is that the ti or steel De Kerf frame you have there?

if steel then I doubt you'll ever really get to 22lbs without spending '000s

fork is very retro, bet it weighs 2 kg and, whilst gorgeous, doesn't work very well. SID Team on there I would. Other than that I think you're having a laugh. That's a lovely bike with a pretty top end spec.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Grips, saddle, cranks, stem, pedals and seatclamp.

All could be swapped out for far lighter items.

mtbfix

Forks and saddle for starters. I also have a very light alu/carbon hardtail frame hanging in the shed that will be lighter than your Elysium and I'd happily do a swap 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

Bottle cage would have to go.

glenh
    Free Member

Get rid of one of those seat clamps too

qwerty
    Free Member

enema

29erKeith
    Free Member

glenh, I spotted that too

What's that all about then?
    genuine question as I have a seat post which refuses to stop slipping
    popped the top off of the hope seat clamp bolt the other day by overtightening it.

Aus
    Free Member

Just for context, love my bike (and yep, it's the Ti frame) and not weight weenie obsessed. I suppose I was subtly challenging some of the claimed weights 😉

I'm guessing a fork change would be the main significant change ie. less weight and prob improved performance (but am quite attached to my old Pace!). Any views on the SID Team?

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

KINGTUT – Member

Grips, saddle, cranks, stem, pedals and seatclamp.

All could be swapped out for far lighter items.

what crank would you suggest KT? without spending the earth ofc. When I built my SS I looked at cranks and the middleburn (in Uno form at least) came out really pretty light. At the time Shimmy were taking advantage of the exchange rate situation and were charging like a wounded bull for an XT crank and although they're much better value now I don't think they're significantly lighter. I had a debate with someone else about this and we came to a figure of middleburn RS7 being something like +/-50g around XT (Weight weenies had some conflicting numbers) with a steel BB, a bit better (obviously) with a Ti one

/Edit; thought it might be the Ti one. oops, there I go again 😳 😀 …MATRON!

SID team owns. Mrs fascist and I have one each on our HTs. It's not *super* light … around 15-1600 iirc but lovely. new Pace (DTswiss) run lighter I think but 28mm stantions and that's what SIDs used to be before someone thought "my god these flex a lot" and changed them to 32s

I thought you may have been challenging some of the claimed weights.

poppa
    Free Member

1×9

Fill tyres with helium

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Like what Tomthumb said.

Parts as King tut says are the first candidates.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Light thread got me thinking – how do I (sensibly?!) reduce the weight of mine’ is closed to new replies.