Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Light saddle like a charge spoon for my road bike?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Got a spoon on my MTB which i like – is their a light saddle with a similar shape (i know about the knife – a bit lighter but cash for dash not that great) – thinking 180-190g?

tang
    Free Member

I like spoons but found Spesh saddles(phenom here x2) even better. Plenty of light options with them.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Charge Scoop?

pixelmix
    Free Member

Selle Italia SLRs are a good weight for the money if you get one second hand. On-One also have one for £50 at the moment.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think a Specialized Romin is a similar shape?

alibongo001

I have a specialized Alled that I am running a spoon on and it is fine.

(I tend to use new saddles on the road bike and then transfer them to the MTB when they are looking a little tired)

Having said that I do find the Specialized saddles very comfy too!

rocketman
    Free Member

Selle Italia SLR

^^ this

Not exactly Charge Spoon shape but I have both and like them a lot.

alanf
    Free Member

SDG Fly or I think they have a newer version now that is fairly light.

ransos
    Free Member

I fitted a Charge Spoon Ti and put up with the massive 50g weight penalty. My backside thanks me.

I should add that – as a big Charge Spoon fan – I found Specialized saddles to be weapons of ass destruction, so they may not suit you.

BadlyWiredDog

I get on with Charge Spoon and Knife shapes generally and I’m liking the Fizik Tundra 2 on my cross bike. More comfortable than the SLR it replaced, heavier but still sub-200g. Unfortunately it was about 50 quid or so at CRC recently, but now up to 90 quid again. Might be an option if you can find one at a decent price.

scotroutes

I get on well with Spoons on MTBs but run 135mm Specialized Phenoms too. The shape seems to be fairly similar. Although more expensive, I find the padding on the Spoon gives up a lot sooner than the Phenom so it probably evens out in the long term.

greeble
    Free Member

charge knife?

movingslowly
    Free Member

I have a Charge Knife that I’d be willing to part with for 20 english pounds, same as this one: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/charge-knife-saddle/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&kpid=5360585558

In black and only about 100 miles on the clock, I found it unsuitable for time trailing and switched.

Drop me email if you are interested. laurenceabbott [at] gmail

mboy
    Free Member

I should add that – as a big Charge Spoon fan – I found Specialized saddles to be weapons of ass destruction, so they may not suit you.

I’m the flipside to this story. Can’t sit on a Spoon for more than 5 minutes without fearing for long term damage to my nether regions, but have done 100 mile road rides and 12hr MTB events on Spesh Romins or Phenoms (143mm width) without getting slightly numb!

If you do like the Spoon though, it’s also available under several other guises. It is just a rebranded Velo saddle, and Velo make saddles for pretty much every OEM out there. Like the Charge Knife, plenty of them are available with Ti rails. My old Giant road bike even came with one, with a more plain cover (rather than the stitched cover on the Spoon) and subtle Giant logos on it.

ransos
    Free Member

I’m the flipside to this story. Can’t sit on a Spoon for more than 5 minutes without fearing for long term damage to my nether regions, but have done 100 mile road rides and 12hr MTB events on Spesh Romins or Phenoms (143mm width) without getting slightly numb!

Well there you go! I did a century last Friday without a hint of discomfort on my Spoon, but a couple of hours on a medium width Specialized Avatar had me in some serious pain.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I use a Charge spoon on the commuter and the MTB, but I have the Specialized Toupe with Carbon Rails on the road bike which is fine for century rides

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

acjim
    Free Member

movingslowly, ygm! 🙂

movingslowly
    Free Member

acjim, you also have mail.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

I said I’d have it

rootes1

Fizik Aliante is similar to Spoon, but fraction narrower.

njee20
    Free Member

I get on well with Spoons on MTBs but run 135mm Specialized Phenoms too

They’re either 130mm or 143mm.

Toupe for me, more comfy than SLRs IMO.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Light saddle like a charge spoon for my road bike?’ is closed to new replies.