Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Light, loud guitar amp. What have you got?
  • RustySpanner

Hiya.

Currently have a Vox Valvetronics AD50VT, one of the second gen metal grilled models.
    Love it, but it’s just too heavy to shift around – 46lbs and a dodgy back.

I like the multiple amp models, especially the lower gain Fender, Vox and early Marshall models. Rarely use the ultra high gain modern settings.
    Occasionally use the built in effects but I could live without them.

Basically I’d like something;
    Lighter.
    Good clean and crunch tones.
    An effects loop.
    Loud enough to keep up with a tame drummer.
    Not fussed about brands.

A headphone output and built in reverb would be nice.

Local shop has offered a good trade in against Blackstar, but I’m not massively keen on the ones I can afford, the Core 100/150.

Off to PMT Salford to listen to a few alternatives this afternoon.

Not fussed if valve or solid state.

The little DV Mark Classic 2 head appeals with a 1*12 Celestion loaded cab from Thomann, but the only place I can find one is GAK, which rules out playing before buying.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Have a look at the Boss Katana or Fender Mustang amps.

Some kind of modelling 1×12″ with a Class D power amp and a neodynium speaker would fit the bill.

Or a separate cab and head if you can use a cab at a practice room? The Boss Katana head has a small built in speaker for home use. A friend uses one for his metal band and loves it. Says it fits in a backpack and off he goes to jam or gig.

RustySpanner

Cheers.

Yep, they’re both on the list, along with a Vox AV60.

I’ve tried an Orange Crush 35 and 60.
    Loved them both, but the 35 might not be quite loud enough and the 60 weighs almost as much as the Vox.

A Laney Cub head appeals, but I’m not sure of the build quality.
    I had a couple of Laney’s in the 80’s and they were grim.

I could stretch to a Marshall DSL20 with a decent trade in for the Vox, I think that would be just about perfect.

Fender just announced a Champion XL 100 with Celestions, but not out yet.
    I’ll be trying the 50 watter, but have reservations about the build quality of Fenders after seeing the issues a mate has had with a completely shonky, brand new Blues Junior.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

The wee Marshalls are lovely. Valve stuff tends to be heavier though – larger transformers etc

RustySpanner

Still 10 lbs lighter than the Vox, amazingly.

Right at the top end of my budget, but I know it’ll last and be repairable if it does go pop.

Choices, choices…..

Any bodybuilders fancy a nice Vox?

bikebouy
    Free Member

This is always getting rave reviews:

Boss Katana Artist… have a look at the vid below the pic for a sample set of sounds.. (it’s an Andertons sound like vid, but they use the Katana in it and go through some detail about its inbuilt effects)

ajantom

The DV Mark head is really good. Very nice clean tone, and the built to in OD and reverb aren’t bad.

I built a 1×12 celestion cab to go with it,band it’s plenty loud enough for practising and smaller gigs.

I pair mine with a Tech 21 Fly Rig to get all the tones I need.

RustySpanner

Cheers all.

Tried my old Vox against a few options this afternoon:

Didn’t like the Katanas – nothing actually wrong with them, but I just found the sound a bit lacking – perfectly nice but a bit bland and two dimensional. Very intuitive controls and an ok build, but just not for me.

Biggest surprise was the Marshall DSL20. Build quality was not what I was expecting and it sounded…well..pretty bland. It well warmed up, but just out of the box, perhaps the speaker needed breaking in.
    Fizzy and lacking bass, sounded like an old MG.

Ended up with the Orange 35.
    Loved the 60, my back hated it.
    Sounds superb, spot on cleanish channel and a monster gain channel which is actually usable and really musical. Light and loud enough went cranked. £220.
    Happy.

Thanks for the replies.

seosamh77
    Free Member

New fender tone masters look good if you want something loud clean and light. Was a recent video on Anderson’s about them. Might be over budget though.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

We’ve got a couple of Fender Blues Deluxe in stock and they sound great for their size. No quality issues.

JP

RustySpanner

I really liked the Fender Mustang GT200.

Light, but crucially bigger than my old one.🙂
    They didn’t have the 40 watter in, but I’d only use the Fender models, because they were the best, and I have a Champion 600 for cheap, Chinese Fender cleans.

Thanks for the DV Mark feedback. It’s not going to be pretty if I’m passing somewhere I can try one. 🙂

goffy63
    Free Member

I have my sons Marshall JMC2000 DSL50 i’m selling, as he no longer uses it do to evening job commitments. Comes with a custom 2×12 Marshall cab(Vintage cloth and Celestion speakers) and a single 1×12 Marshall cab for smaller gigs or practicing.

tagnut69
    Free Member

the new fender tone masters look like a good bet

Edukator
    Free Member

but I’d only use the Fender models, because they were the best

IMO the most versatile model on the Fenders is “British watts” which is an extremely good model of an old 100w Hi-Watt to my ears. Turn the gain down and it cleans up so nicely it can be used as an acoustic amp. I was trying budget electro-acoustic guitars in a shop and narrowed it down to three to try plugged in. The saleman plugged me into a boutique acoustic amp and was a little surprised when I commented that either all three guitars were disappointing plugged in or the amp wasn’t flattering them.

I asked to try them with a Mustang GT200, selected “Britsh watts” gain 6 treble 4.5 middle 4 bass 6 a bit of sine chorus – turned the guitar preamps down to about the same output as a Strat and all three went from disappointing to perfectly acceptable, I bought the Ibanez. The salesman was intrigued enough to go over to the amp and check out the settings.

lesgrandepotato

Couple of options here. Fender Hrdlx 40w of loud as hell.

Alternate option Blackstar ht5 stack. As long as the drummer isn’t a total animal. It’s tiny head and a couple of cabs. Easy to move

Edukator
    Free Member

The Fender Hot Rod deluxe must be nearly a heavy as the Op’s Vox and doesn’t have an effects loop. A Fender Mustang GT 100 puts out about the same volume and fulfills all the Op’s criteria at half the weight and less than half the price.

_tom_
    Free Member

The DSL20 is partly let down by the speaker, swap that out and it’s great. The head version sounds immense through a decent cab. I always prefer head + cab to a combo, the heavy bits (speakers and transformer) are spread over 2 units. Sounds better too imo.

The other option is something like a Helix or HX Stomp through the PA. Digital stuff is so good these days.

supercarp

What about a trolly to move your amp with or employ a roadie

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Light, loud guitar amp. What have you got?’ is closed to new replies.