Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Light but strong cranks, other than XTR?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps

After pulling the pedal insert out of my Raceface Next cranks im after some light, but stronger crank arms.

Is there anything worth looking at, past XTR?

This’ll be 1×10, so chainring weight doesnt matter.

Cheers

Ricks

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Middleburn X type? If you still wish to run XTR ring I’m pretty sure they do a spider for them.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Whats up with Hope then?

tymbian
    Free Member

I don’t think Hope are all that light.

kevduckworth

The new Hope are light, and strong, British and look awesome!
    Easy choice, no brainer.

Weight for a complete 34t spiderless crankset is 641g.

chiefgrooveguru

Is there anything worth looking at, past XTR?

XT or SLX? Are XTR arms actually any lighter/stiffer/stronger?

br
    Free Member

I’ve had XTR and XT and then bought a bike with SLX – there is bugger all difference in weight and performance.

nixon
    Free Member

FRM CU3, not cheap but pretty light and plenty tough. Look lovely as well, italian engineering for you 😉

Northwind

Is that a genuine weight for Hope or claimed? The single ring (not spiderless) version in BB30 is bloated, 802g- an equivalent XTR would be 670g. So that’d be a massive weight saving for going spiderless. I think that’s one I’d want to see on the scales.

I’d go for scabby old XTR M970. I think (don’t quote me) it’s lighter than the current version, it’s more scuff resistant and it’s cheap.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The current XTR’s are lighter than the old 970’s, but not by much.

I’d have some XX1/X01 with a Works direct mount ring. Use a £4 adapter & run it with a Shimano BB.

unovolo
    Free Member

For a leftfield choice how about a set of ‘Turn Girder Cranks’ from Praxis Works, using a oversized(30)screw in BB.
    http://www.praxiscycles.com/product/girder-m30/

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sram Carbon? More RF’s?

RustyMac

Can the pedal insert not just be epoxied back in?

njee20
    Free Member

Next SLs would be the obvious choice, but imagine you’re not keen on another set…

SRAM with a spiderless ring or XTR for my money.

rondo101
    Free Member

3 year warranty on Next SL iirc. Can you not get them replaced? Race face do a crash replacement scheme if it’s outside warranty. 50% off I believe.

Northwind

Hob Nob – Member

The current XTR’s are lighter than the old 970’s, but not by much.

M970 seems to be about 10g lighter for the crankarms alone, according to scales pics

andysredmini
    Free Member

Have a look at the raceface sixc cranks. Really light and very good looking. Tough enough for downhill at xc weight.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

xx1

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ve got some unused SRAM X0 gxp cranks with an absolute black dm 32t ring for sale (175mm).

honourablegeorge

Are those cranks black by any chance?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Left of field, Rotor Rex 1.1. Pretty light, quirky looking, pricey and with the added bonus of a proprietary chain ring BCD!

ollieT
    Free Member

Kcnc ?

kelvin

SLX

rickon
    Free Member

The Raceface are being warrantied at the moment, but Ive not trust in them, given that my mate bought some Sixc at the same time as me, and the week before mine went, his pedal insert came out too!

I just want something less heavy than my Raceface Evolve cranks, but that wont fall apart! The XTR definitely ticks those boxes, the praxis are bb30, so out, the rotors look nice, but im not buying into the oval ring nonsense.

Slx and xt are decent weight, but still heavy in comparison to the Next. And the XTRs are a good deal lighter even if the performance is identical.

Not a fan of KCNC cranks, flexy, and I had major issues with my Xtype ones.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Rotor do a round thick/thin ring.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The Raceface are being warrantied at the moment, but Ive not trust in them, given that my mate bought some Sixc at the same time as me, and the week before mine went, his pedal insert came out too!

I’ve destroyed a set of XT cranks and a set of Saints and I only weigh 160lb. Shit breaks, especially crank arms. What kind of riding do you do?

rickon
    Free Member

Enduro races, DH trails, steep rooty stuff round inners. Some fast rocky stuff thatd be tough on stuff.

dan86
    Free Member

SRAM XO1 DH?

bm0p700f
    Free Member

My m985 xtr 40/28T chainset is 640g Xt is 100g more i think and slx morw than that. Drop the inner ring and xtr chainsets would be quire light. Thw new m9000 is a shade lighter again. If yiu can afford xtr then why not It has always been the best for me anyway.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Oh i have a set of heavy saint m800 cranks which i have not tried to sell yet. Really who could break them.

rondo101
    Free Member

Pretty sure the weight difference on shimano is mostly down to chainrings and there is little difference between bare XTR, XT and SLX cranks. At 400g including ring, anything other than Next SL that you go for is going to be heavier.

Warranty on the RF. 3 year warranty renews whenever new cranks are issued.

br
    Free Member

Pretty sure the weight difference on shimano is mostly down to chainrings and there is little difference between bare XTR, XT and SLX cranks. At 400g including ring, anything other than Next SL that you go for is going to be heavier.

This.

And at this level, just swapping steel bolts for Ti bolts will make a (noticeable) difference.

unovolo
    Free Member

The praxis is BB30 so that’s out

It has the option of using a oversized outboard bearings to fit a standard 68/73mm BSA threaded shell so you get the benefit of the larger diameter spindle whilst still being able to use it with a normal frame.
    Raceface also have a similar option.

http://www.praxiscycles.com/m30-bottom-brackets/

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Oh i have a set of heavy saint m800 cranks which i have not tried to sell yet. Really who could break them.

The saints sheared off at the axle. I sheared another set of XT’s off at the axle and ripped a pedal out of another set of XTs.

Perhaps I ride like an idiot, because I’m neither particularly fast nor do I do particularly big stuff, bigger stuff when I was younger but not anymore.

chakaping
    Free Member

Too easy to damage cranks so I’m firmly an SLX man myself now.

Can’t beat the balance of price/weight/performance IMO.

nickdavies

Not sure i’d say anything called a girder was going to be light weight!

OP – you looked at race face Turbine cinch? Same DM system as the next so you can shed weight there, but alloy as opposed to carbon.

You’ve also got a few X01 cranks left at PX for £99.

specializedneeds

Some useful weight comparisons here:
    Link

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Light but strong cranks, other than XTR?’ is closed to new replies.