Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 932 total)
  • light bicycle carbon rims
  • njee20
    Free Member

That would be very odd indeed. Do you know more specifically what they think is wrong with them?

stewartc
    Free Member

My Cantonese is not that good and their English is the same level, they just told me they do not think they are genuine Hope hubs, will be back in the next week so will try to get more detail.

DT78
    Free Member

They won’t even make reproduction logos for their rims so I’d be surprised if the hopes aren’t legitimate.

fathomer

superfli – Member
    They are massive in comparison to the Flow!

Bloody hell they make the flows look tiny!

I’m pretty sure I’l be getting a set of these for what ever frame I end up with next year so will look even bigger going from my current Arch EX’s! I assume you can still get them without the stickers on? (no offence but I don’t like them).

andybrad

forgive my dumb questions but whats the point of these over my current crests. the weights seem similar.

id be running 26″ on an orange 5 so is there any advantage to be had from them?

bigjim

forgive my dumb questions but whats the point of these over my current crests. the weights seem similar.

id be running 26″ on an orange 5 so is there any advantage to be had from them?

The main difference I noticed is the wider rim supports the tyre a bit better and it doesn’t float around from side to side as much, you can probably move your tyre quite a bit on a crest, it won’t move much on a wide rim. Apart from that they will be a lot stiffer than a crest, possibly too stiff perhaps, I found they transferred a lot of trail buzz, some DH teams using carbon rims have been experimenting with very slack builds to get around this.

andybrad

Hmm. So this is the reasoning for 27+?

It worries me that folks are complaining its too stiff.

HaydPD
    Free Member

I have a Kinesis Sync and an itch for some wide, carbon wheels. I test rode an IBIS Ripley fitted with 941s and thought the bike and the wheels were excellent.

Has anyone had a set of 38mm LBs with the DT Swiss 240s hubs? How many spokes have you gone for?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

anyone seen any 29+ in 50/52mm that are 32mm deep rather than the 25mm deep ones light bike offer

nextoe was an option, but now in bed with slam69

How many spokes have you gone for?

dont mess about with anything other than 32t

unless you fancy a 28t front to take advantage of cheaper fhubs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Hub-DT-Swiss-240s-Center-Lock-28H-black-thru-bolt-50-off-/231526721044?hash=item35e8116614

edit: ah thats not 15mm

HaydPD
    Free Member

Vivian at LB is telling me:

If you like hubs in 32H, you can choose DT Swiss 240S J-bend 6-bolt. Or straight pull center lock/ 6-bolt hubs in 28H are available.

What to do? Will the 32h be considerably heavier?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

32 will not be considerably heavier, but I would have thought – considerably stronger!

enmac
    Free Member

I have the 35mm rims on DT Swiss 240 28h straight pull. They are plenty strong enough. I can get away with 18psi tubeless and haven’t managed to ding the rims despite repeated attempts.

HaydPD
    Free Member

So for my Kinesis Sync how does this sound?

-Rims: 38mm width, UD matte

-Hubs: Black, DT Swiss 240S J pull 6-bolt 15mm/12*142mm for Sram xx1 (32H).

-Spokes: Black, Pillar Aero X-TRA 1420 aero

Any suggested changes?

HaydPD
    Free Member

R mac. How have you found those hubs? Do you have any worries that they aren’t genuine?

HaydPD
    Free Member

Sorry enmac. iPhone typo…

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have similarish but Hope hubs. Only suggestion I’d make is I asked for a couple of spare spokes and nipples in each length used.

Northwind

HaydPD – Member

What to do? Will the 32h be considerably heavier?

I’d have the 32s. Not so much to do with the 20 grams weight difference, more to do with them offering them with j-bend spokes. After fun times trying to find replacements for mine in the past, I’ll try and never own a straight pull wheel again.

aracer
    Free Member

<sigh> apart from rim stiffness making a negligible difference to comfort when you’ve got 60-70mm of travel in the tyre attached to it, spoke tension makes no difference to wheel stiffness unless you have so little that spokes are going totally slack – at which point you lose most of the advantages of a pre-tensioned wheel and it becomes a lot weaker, which is about the last thing I’d have thought DH riders would want.

enmac
    Free Member

R mac. How have you found those hubs? Do you have any worries that they aren’t genuine?

My hubs didn’t come from that ebay seller, I got the front and the spokes from Bike24.de and rear from a set of Roval Traversee’s which is essentially a DT Swiss 240. I bought several direct pull spare spokes so I have no worries about getting spares.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

anyone using Farsports rims?

specifically the 30mm wide x 30mm tall – just prefer the aesthetics of the deeper rim

superfli
    Free Member

Just an update on my LB wheelbuilds. I’ve now used them for a couple of months, trips to Mid Wales, Antur, Slovenia (which is the rockiest place I have ever been) and last round of UKGE. The wheels have passed with flying colours. Not even had to tighten a spoke. They have been scratched a few times, but true as when I built them.
    However, I cant say that I notice that much difference. The stiffness is slightly noticeable, and the tyres do look fat on them – I often get comments on what size tyre I’m using.
    Now the idea was to use my old wheels as my winter wheels/tyres.. I’m not sure I want to! Although could be a good comparison to feel what they are like again.

endurogangster
    Free Member

I’m thinking of getting the 38mm 650b rims as on paper they have the same ERD as 26″ flows, and since I have some rather expensive i9 torch hubs and aluminum straight pull Spokes it would be handy to be able to re use them.

Anyone done similar or forsee any issues?

akak
    Free Member

The issue would be that the LB quited erd isn’t right as mentioned a lot in this thread and the spokes will be too short. Presumably would cost you nothing to try it though before ordering spokes.

njee20
    Free Member

Except the i9 spokes are ludicrously expensive, so you sort of want to get it right or not at all. Rather than “I’ll try this, and if not I’ll just chuck these spokes away and order some more”.

I had exactly the same dilemma with some road rims, couldn’t guarantee the ERD was gonna work and couldn’t be arsed to try finding straight pull spokes when it wasn’t!

endurogangster
    Free Member

Yeah. £4 a spoke for a full build is pants down town! I have 1-2mm per spoke to play with based on threads showing in the hubs, I love the hubs and Spokes so may give it a go, worst case I rebuild onto the flows and sell, funds go towards new hubs or wheels, do have a set of 240s I could use instead if the i9s don’t work out

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have a similar dilemma. Have some Hope Hoops in 26″ ZTR Crest flavour with an ERD of 540mm and wondering whether a 650b LB 38mm rim with quoted ERD of 535mm will be a straight swap. LB appear to measure ERD in such a way that what I’m suggesting isn’t quite as stupid as it would appear if you take the numbers at face value. On the plus side if I’m wrong the straight pull spokes I need won’t be quite so ridiculously expensive.

NewRetroTom

I was packing my bike up last night to go to the Alps on Friday and noticed this crack in my LB rear rim 🙁

Have emailed LB with pics. Waiting to hear back. The rim was new in May.

Mbnut
    Free Member

I have now managed to crack both of my 35mm wide LB rims. The original 30mm wide ones are still intact.

I currently have a pair of 35mm ones to be built up for a 27.5+ project, I am going to go head with this as I think 3” of rubber should be a good buffer.

The question is do I go with another set in 38mm flavour….

For what it is worth I have seen many busted Enve rims too, including 70s.

alexh
    Free Member

When I had my 38mm rims built onto my hope hubs, the lbs stated they were using 26″ spokes.

njee20
    Free Member

Eh? You don’t get 26″ spokes, you get spokes in different lengths, but not wheelsize specific.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I think he means the 38mm rims are so deep the spoke lengths are what you would more usually use to build a 26″ wheel.

Rubber_Buccaneer

…or he’s got 52″ wheels?

keefmac

not Light Bicycle carbon wheels, but could one of you guys check these out. i’m thinking about treating myself for xmas.

ebay linky

good feedback on ebay so not worried from that point but are they comparable with Light Bicycle wheelsets. anyone actually got some?

alexh
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve got 52″ wheels. That clears it up nicely.

Or, the spokes for the wheels on my build were what the lbs would ‘normally’ associate with a 26″ wheel build. Please excuse me for not knowing the exact length that was used.

Although its quite therapeutic lacing a wheel, its something I’d rather just pay for to be done correctly and efficiently.

Thanks rubber buc.

njee20
    Free Member

Are you saying that’s a good thing then? Bit confused. As spokes come in 1mm increments there’s not really a point where you transition from one to t’other. But anywho.

Built up my FarSports road rims last week, built up really nicely, very well finished. Interestingly they have the drive side marked, but spoke holes aren’t offset or owt, unless they’re reinforced and reliant on you not crossing the valve hole to get it right.

alexh
    Free Member

If you read the comments further up, there are a couple of people with 26″ wheels with nice hub/spoke combinations that are wondering if they could potentially relace them to the lb 38mm rims. I’ll try and get the spoke length that was used for mine and update the post.

NewRetroTom

Update on my cracked LB rim (photo above):

Just back from 3 days riding in Chamonix – the crack has grown a bit but the rim has not failed yet.

LB are sending me a replacement rim on warranty – I’m paying the £30 postage costs.

Ells
    Free Member

Anybody got any pointers on which tubeless rim strips to use in the 38mm wide 29″ rims?

mafiafish
    Free Member

Anybody got any pointers on which tubeless rim strips to use in the 38mm wide 29″ rims?

I just used gorilla tape. Has lasted for a year with no leaks.

Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 932 total)

The topic ‘light bicycle carbon rims’ is closed to new replies.