light bicycle carbon rims

Home Forum Bike Forum light bicycle carbon rims

Viewing 45 posts - 541 through 585 (of 932 total)
  • light bicycle carbon rims
  • Premier Icon bigjim
    Subscriber

Pinched my rear at the ‘ard rock enduro hard enough to cut two big snakebite holes into the tyre but rim seems to be OK, need to have a proper look though. Replacement tyre sealed up OK anyway.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

@mattjg, I haven’t forgotten, just not been out to the bikes! Will get on it

julians

Right, have ordered a fully built 33mm wide 26inch hookless downhill wheel to replace the 33mm wide 26 inch hooked all mountain rim I broke last night.

Hopefully it will be up to the job, if this one breaks, then itll probably be back to alu rims for me, or maybe perfect my waterbar jumping skills.

klunky

I’m confused a bit by the wide rim thing being so much better.
    the mavic enduro wheels run a 19mm wide rear rim as per testing with Nico and Fabien.
    When I raced DH I always ran 721 rims as opposed to 729s as the square tyre profile from a wider rim made leaning the bike over in corners harder.
    The narrow rim gave a rounder tyre profile and made off-camber and cornering more predictable.

Has this changed somehow with new tyres?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I don’t think it makes that much difference, personally. (always seems to me that the people who get most excited about it, are using tyres with bad edges, so flattening them out a bit makes them work more like they should.) More volume is good though on balance, imo. General use tyres have got wider in the time I’ve been riding, I used to get a lot of comments about my 2.35s but now that’s pretty standard (actual 2.35s that is, not Maxxis 2.35s!)

Nico doesn’t test for Mavic as far as I know, he’s been testing SRAM wheels which have been going wider. Barel seems to be into narrow rear thing but lots of Mavic pros aren’t- they had a wee production line going rebuilding Enduro rears with front rims at the EWS. (though I’d guess this is for strength rather than width- the whole “weaker on the rear” concept being pretty dubious. Certainly Cedric was getting his done for strength)

goodgrief

I think Mavic had to cut the width to drop the weight but attempt to keep the strength, didn’t work by the sound of it! They certainly look odd on the back of a chunky 6″ bike.

goodgrief – Member
    I think Mavic had to cut the width to drop the weight but attempt to keep the strength, didn’t work by the sound of it! They certainly look odd on the back of a chunky 6″ bike.

Not sure on that – their new Crossmax XL WTS are 90g lighter than the SX, and 2mm wider internally, so the Enduros being narrower wasn’t all about weight.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

OK, at Mattjg- short answer, don’t worry about the extra tyre width.

Long answer… This is an LB 33mm (26mm ID according to LB but I think that’s for the hooked version, the hookless is presumably wider ID?) vs a Roval Traversee EL’s 22mm ID. Both tyres with Butcher Control 2.3s on ’em.

The important number for frame clearance is probably the tyre width at the knobbles, as that’s where they frame’s generally tightest. And the difference is .3 of a mm! 57.2 on the LB vs 56.9 on the Roval.

There’s more difference to the actual carcass though. On the Roval, it’s 55.8mm, actually narrower than the knobs. On the LB it’s 58.2

Oh, and in terms of tyre shape, I can’t actually see any difference. Couldn’t think of any way to measure it. Perhaps height drop from the centre to the edge blocs? But that’s a bit unintuitive.

goodgrief

Not sure on that – their new Crossmax XL WTS are 90g lighter than the SX, and 2mm wider internally, so the Enduros being narrower wasn’t all about weight.

so, stronger without gaining weight.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

TBF I think the Enduro wheelsets were mostly about getting a new product out with minimum r&d. One wheel off an SX, one wheel off a crossmax, paint off a deemax, ENDURO! Other than the 650b revision it’s all old, good parts.

XL looks a more impressive product on paper but I’m curious how strong they turn out- the SX was strong but denty, going lighter and stretching the metal further usually means losing more strength but you never know, it might just be better engineered…

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

4 mates have new crossmaxes, all race at ukge and other enduros, of the 4; 1 rim failure and 3 hub failures(axles split) all warrantied but no fun waiting for replacements

Northwind – Member

SX was strong but denty

Really? I’ve hammered mine and not a mark on them.

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

OK, at Mattjg- short answer, don’t worry about the extra tyre width.

Ta, I’ll read through the detail.

On my N9, a Crest with a 2.25 Nic has 8mm clearance at the chain stays (will vary a bit with slider position).

Up front a have a Reba, 2.3 Purgatory on a Crest too. 10mm clearance.

This is Surrey set up, in proper rocky place mode, I’d probably put the Purg out back and a Butcher up front.

Oh, and in terms of tyre shape, I can’t actually see any difference.

Maybe this requires rider weight on the wheel to kick in, or cornering side forces.

I look up the weights btw (all for a 29er):

Crest, 21mm internal, 365 grams
    LB 30mm internal, they say 420 grams +/- 15
    Arch Ex 21mm internal, 460 grams
    Flow Ex 25mm internal, 545 grams.

So the LB is coming out half way between Crest and Arch Ex. I have some Arch Ex that I ride sometimes, I never noticed them feeling heavy.

dirtyrider

more stickered up ENVE rims

thedude

They have these new ones that are coming out 10 Sep. I like that the bead is nice and thick.

Rim Size: 26-inch/26er mountain bike
    Rim Construction: Tubeless, Carbon fiber
    Rim Depth: 32mm
    Width: External: 38 mm, Internal: 31 mm
    Rim weight: 420g+/-15 for All mountain; 480g+/-15 for Downhill

New LB rim

Premier Icon davosaurusrex
    Subscriber

I’m thinking the new Schwalbe procore system could be ideal for prolonging the life of carbon rims. Along with all the other reported benefits I’m definitely interested in trying them

J273

Do any of you ride these LB rims in the peaks? Really tempted with some 35 wide hookless for my 29er stumpy to save a bit of weight.

Only thing holding me back is how they’d hold up with constant impact strikes. For those of you who have the hookless 35 wider rim how are you finding them and how are they holding up?

Have anyone of you had full pro2 builds from LB and how much did they come to with charges .etc?

Thanks

julians

Do any of you ride these LB rims in the peaks? Really tempted with some 35 wide hookless for my 29er stumpy to save a bit of weight.

See my post further up there, but I destroyed a 26 inch 33mm wide rim in macc forest (well shining tor actually) in two places . Whacked it on a water bar.

Premier Icon Rick Draper
    Subscriber

A mate destroyed a mavic on one of those water bars just last week and I ruined a stans rim as well.

I flatted the other day on a very rocky descent, could not stop for about 15 meters and all the time the rim was running on a flat tyre. Rim survived and it is fine. I don’t believe a alloy rim would have lived.

julians

I have to add that it had survived 9 months of peak/antur/welsh riding up until the water bar on shining tor killed it.

I have ordered a hookless downhill version to replace it, if that gets destroyed then its back to alu rims for me.

M6TTF

Shining tor water bars have claimed many rims and tubes ha!

Premier Icon jamj1974
    Subscriber

Because I am too lazy to read through all these pages what is the concensus?

– Are they strong and durable?
    – Is tubeless set up easy?
    – Any major issues?
    – Do they wear well – is their peeling of lacquer etc…?

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Yes
    Yes
    No
    No

Premier Icon rickon
    Subscriber

And as I’m also too lazy…. What is the concensus for the ideal LB rim for an AM/trail build wheel. Similar in strength to a Flow, with similar width?

Thinking about building some up on my spare Pro2 Evos

matther01

I on the other hand have read through all 17 bloody pages (commenting on one some several months ago!) and would also gratefully request some wisdom!

Anyone know what ERD I’d need for AC 32H hubs on 650b 35mm hookless? As it seems as some ERDs quoted are a bit off.

What is the best finish (as I’m liking the matt UD best but could be swayed)?

What spokes/nipple combo for rider weight v light wheel build (about 12.5st trail riding with odd enduro)? Was hoping for 1500-1600g

Cheers

J-R

Anybody got advice on running these tubeless?

I see some posts have said that for the 33mm rims use Stans Downhill rim strip, but that only seems to come with a schrader valve fitted, not a presta.

Will the Lite Bike rims accept a schrader valve?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I’m using mine just with yellow tape. Well, blue tape rather but it’s basically the same. Working well so far though they’ve not had a huge amount of use. 2 chaps in our holiday group were using them with specialized tlr tyres and tape, seemed fine for them too

Did we ever get a concensus on the ERD accuracy of the 26 inch 33mm ones?

Candodavid

I used gorilla tape on all 3 pairs of mine

mst

I bought a set of CX wheels. The front one developed a bulge after less than 20 miles. They want to send me a replacement rim only and leave me with the cost of having the wheel rebuilt. Not very happy at that

Premier Icon benpinnick
    Subscriber

I on the other hand have read through all 17 bloody pages (commenting on one some several months ago!) and would also gratefully request some wisdom!

Anyone know what ERD I’d need for AC 32H hubs on 650b 35mm hookless? As it seems as some ERDs quoted are a bit off.

What is the best finish (as I’m liking the matt UD best but could be swayed)?

What spokes/nipple combo for rider weight v light wheel build (about 12.5st trail riding with odd enduro)? Was hoping for 1500-1600g

Cheers

You can use 551 as quoted, I have built a few with that and its ok.

UD matt is defintely the nicest

DT Supercomp/Comp Race or Sapim DLite with prolock Alu or SIL Alu respectively. I would strongly recommend locking nipples on these rims.

Premier Icon benpinnick
    Subscriber

And as I’m also too lazy…. What is the concensus for the ideal LB rim for an AM/trail build wheel. Similar in strength to a Flow, with similar width?

Thinking about building some up on my spare Pro2 Evos

MUCH wider… I mean massively so. Stronger too.

Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

So are all you people ordering direct from the LB site or through Ebay?
    My fingers itching over the buy button. 🙂

Mbnut

Literally just had a pair of 35mm hookless 29ers built with Hope Pro2s and DT Super Comp spokes.

I have used Gorilla Tape since going tubeless 5 years ago. Light, cheap and lasts years.

Schwable Hans Dampf and Rocket Ron went up straight away with track pump and never leaked, jallop added 2 days later.

Wheel weight with Gorilla Tape and tubeless valves 1732g for 29er.

They built up great and ride flipping lovely.

Yet to break a LB rim, been on them a couple of years, 15st kitted and ride like a nut over everything.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

So are all you people ordering direct from the LB site or through Ebay?

I bought direct.

Direct here too.

Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

Cheers all.
    Ordered direct.

Premier Icon pedlad
    Subscriber

Ordered direct too very efficient. Got them all built up on hope pro II evo and sat with tyres on (tubed just to shape the tyres a bit) but will run tubeless. Look cool and stealthy…Unfortunately my new frame is delayed so it’s driving me made as can’t wait to see how they spin…

What’s the delivery time on these?

Interested in a set for a disc cross build as some UK suppliers have quoted £200 a rim!

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

About 4-6 weeks until there in your hands, much of that once they land in the UK.

cheers. Really wanting a light set of rims for a disc cross build

Why does no one in the UK stock carbon rims?

Premier Icon twonks
    Subscriber

Has anybody come to these rims from Hope Hoops with Arch EX rims?

I currently use them tubeless with 2.25 tyres on my SC Superlight (26″) and whilst I don’t feel there is anything particularly bad at all with my current wheels, I do have a need for some better ones on my other bike.

The thoughts are to buy either a set of AM rims from LB and build them up on some older ProII hubs (non evo) I have, or buy a set of complete wheels with Hope/Nova hubs from LB. Then drop the Hope hoops to the second bike.

Riding is mainly XC with black trail centre routes / peaks etc, and I don’t jump around or go mad on rock gardens etc.

But I do weight 110KG kitted up.

Am I just wasting money as I don’t find anything to complain about from the Stans rims, or are there noticeable differences that enhance riding?

Premier Icon bigjim
    Subscriber

I got these to replace some normal non EX arch rims, you aren’t going to notice any massive difference, the only thing I’ve noticed is they are stiffer and the tire rolls less on the rim

Premier Icon johnny
    Subscriber

Just had a look on the LB site, there are some 38mm rims listed!? Is this a new development, or have I just not scrolled back far enough through this thread?

Viewing 45 posts - 541 through 585 (of 932 total)

The topic ‘light bicycle carbon rims’ is closed to new replies.