• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by jonba.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Light 26" rims – what should I be looking at?
  • sweaman2
    Free Member

Sweamrs2 is looking to upgrade her rims. Currently she’s on some well worn 717’s. Got some CK hubs so whole wheel sets not an option. Tubeless optional but would be nice. Apart from stans what else should I be looking at?

matther01
    Free Member

Light bicycle carbon rims? Big STW thread about them

jonba
    Free Member

Stan’s. I’ve got the old version of the crest and they are good. Light, strong enough if well built and simp!e to go tubeless on. Will be a good match to the 717 and are significantly lighter.

I broke a 717 but the Stan’s have been true for years.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

+1 for LB. Stan’s do lighter ones though – the Podium MMX is <290g, LB are 330g IIRC, similar ball park to Crests/Alpines.

limkilde
    Free Member

Rigida Trace XC or Trail version

DanW
    Free Member

Podiums ride beautifully and have been fine for several thousand miles under my 75-80kg. The distributor are almost giving them away at the moment as there isn’t much demand for light XC rims in 26 any more. If you want properly light then these are the only option really.

Crests would probably be the best match to the CK hubs and should be fit and forget without weighing too much either.

Stans are popular for a reason… they’re really rather good for the money

GolfChick
    Free Member

Not sure I’d recommend crest based on our recent experience of having an explosion with one that didnt even leave the ground when it blew up.

The Arch is still quite light but strong, also saw a pair of LB rims yesterday that were really nice looking and light but bear in mind any warranty claims and you’ll be waiting over a month for a replacement from china. My new Derby rims arrive Tuesday so hoping they’re pretty good going and weigh the same as an Arch rim.

br
    Free Member

Sorry to ask the question, but the weight of the lady in question as if she’s 8 st dripping wet that she’ll be able to get away with far lighter rims than most.

And Crests are fine for me, a 12st aged hamfisted trail rider – only thing if you are paying for them to be built it might be almost as cheap to buy Hope Hoops than source/build onto the CK’s.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Edge MC1, 21mm internal, 265 grams, 75kg weight limit.

maxtorque

How much do you want to spend?? 😉

sweaman2
    Free Member

The lady weighs 57kg (125 lbs) and wheels are going on a Santa Cruz blur LTc. She does leave the ground but only up to a couple of feet. Spend – Not sure yet at all to be honest

trickydisco
    Free Member

Not sure I’d recommend crest based on our recent experience of having an explosion with one that didnt even leave the ground when it blew up.

Sorry but that bike doesn’t strike me as something built for “for cross country and light trail use”

GolfChick
    Free Member

It’s the exact same model that the sweaman2 is looking for though so quite helpful in that it may not be suitable!

DanW
    Free Member

If Mavic 717’s have previously been fine then Crests should be more than fine too. Stans have got the price/ weight/ durability/ performance balance nailed

Shorty12
    Free Member

Yeah I agree with trickydisco I think you should of got a flow

Ben_H

DT XR400 – as it says on the tin, they’re 400g. Also tubeless compatible with some fettling; but without the problems associated with mounting tyres onto a Stans Crest.

jonba
    Free Member

The lady weighs 57kg (125 lbs) and wheels are going on a Santa Cruz blur LTc. She does leave the ground but only up to a couple of feet. Spend – Not sure yet at all to be honest

Crests will be more than good enough then. I’m 75kg in my road racing lycra and mine have survived 1000s of miles (Glentress, Kielder, Lakes, various xc races, Cheviots, mtb marathons, crashes etc.)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Light 26" rims – what should I be looking at?’ is closed to new replies.