Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Light 26" dh wheelset
  • carlphillips
    Free Member

150x12mm rear hub
    20mm front hub

Would like it to be a light set, any recommendations?

zero-cool
    Free Member

Hope Hoops, Stans Flow on HOPE/Chris King/whatever.
    Hope Tech Enduro rims are certainly sturdy enough for pretty much anything.

honourablegeorge

Delighted with my E13 LG1 rims on hope.

carlphillips
    Free Member

flows i’d considered already, but are in short supply in 26″ flavour, e13 lg1 rims I’ll look into

SirHC

Pro2 on ex471 is another option

sharkattack

EX471’s are my next rims. Much lighter than what I have and unquestionably up to the task. DT240 hubs if I can find some for a good price. Pro 2’s from the LBS if not.

I’d like a pair of Deemax but they’re surely due for an overhaul by now. Wider rims would be nice.

jk1980
    Free Member

I’ve got industry 9 gravitys, picked them over deemax as they’re wider. Mine are 142 at the back if memory serves me correctly but I think they come in 150 also

zero-cool
    Free Member

Hope hubs and Mavic Rims. Can’t go wrong

GeForceJunky

Hope Pro 4 DH with 7 speed cassette is going to be a cracker I reckon if you can wait a bit.

carlphillips
    Free Member

cheers chaps will have a look at the ex 471’s
    need to increase my internet fu and find some cheap decent hubs/spokes/nipples etc

carlphillips
    Free Member

where can you buy the 471’s..? my fu is weak!

poah
    Free Member

bike-discount had them for £50 a rim

carlphillips
    Free Member

thanks poah, I did look there earlier too but couldnt find them..

will check again

edit, im useless, i still cant find any (in stock)

carlphillips
    Free Member

ah thats ok theyre the ones i was looking at…will continue the search!

Northwind

I’d go with WTB Frequencies, they’re not that much heavier than the lightweight options but they are ridiculously tough for their weight. I gave mine a good thumping at la thuile riding out a flat and they didn’t even really show a mark, I couldn’t believe it. I expected at the very least to be straightening out a load of dents but nope.

carlphillips
    Free Member

I’d not considered them, will have a look at them, any particular model?

Northwind

I had the Frequency i25, the biggest one. TBH I was slightly fed up with mangling flows (they do good for their weight but it’s still a compromise), and these were cheap and had close enough ERD to reuse the spokes, that was the entire motivation 😆 But it worked out really well. TBH I’d probably have been just as happy on these new DTs. These days Mavic and Stans wouldn’t get a look in with me though, they’ve stood still.

What makes it so complicated is that people talk about “strong” but really there’s at least 3 things here… strength, durability and toughness. Strength, how likely it is to break outright. Durability, how long it lasts in normal use. And toughness, how well it deals with hits that don’t break it. So frinstance a Flow Ex is strong but it’s not tough, they dent easily and the low rim height means dents that you could straighten out on an old Flow can kill them outright. A 721’s strong and tough but ime not as durable, mine cracked all to buggery.

And everyone’s got slightly different requirements, I like low pressures and lighter tyres so I kind of need tough, I’m not heavy though and I ride fairly light so I don’t need as much strength for the big deathblows. But I was let down by the 721s as there was no point for me in big strength that couldn’t also last a long time. But that’s just my bias.

Oh aye, and with DH you have to throw in price and convenience of replacement too, because unless you go with massive bomber wheels you’ll break them sooner or later.

So I guess what I’m really saying is, don’t assume someone else’s killer app is great for you.

carlphillips
    Free Member

ye makes total sense, I’ve gone through 3 rims this year hanging up on gaps so price to replace is definitely a factor…I’ve been replacing them with superstar rims/wheels but they are sooo heavy and I’d like to make the bike feel a bit more sprightly if its possible…
    will look into these a bit closer I think

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Light 26" dh wheelset’ is closed to new replies.