Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Liggett / Sherwen drinking game?
  • DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Is there one?
    If you took a drink every **** time Sherwen points out Quintana is “Colombian climber”, “23 years old” and “born at 3000m” you would be very drunk, very quickly.
    Likewise every time Liggett brazenly mispronounces a foreign name – Thomas Voyckler. Edvald Boyson Hagen.

dknwhy

Yeah, you always get the same stuff from them although I couldn’t sit and commentate on cycling for five hours.
    I think my favourite Liggett quote so far this tour is, “the Manx missile has launched and when that happens, there’s no catching him…. and Kittel wins….”

Garry_Lager

Past being entertained by those two bell ends tbh – wish Phil would FOAD – retire to a nice cottage with a big garden in Southern France. Paul can join him – with his mountain bike background, Cadel Evans will relish putting his superior handling skills to work on this tricky descent. Please get tae f_k with these appalling cliches.

What is it going to take to displace these two clowns from the commentary box – thought Phil might call it a day when Armstrong finally coughed up but no, he’s hanging on in there like a geriatric limpit.

tomhoward

Or when someones ‘great bike handling skills’ are down to him ‘being a former mountain biker’

avdave2

What is it going to take to displace these two clowns from the commentary box – thought Phil might call it a day when Armstrong finally coughed up but no, he’s hanging on in there like a geriatric limpit.

Please don’t insult the men who have taught me everything I know about French Chateaus!

trickydisco
    Free Member

“suitcase of courage”
    “heads of state”
    “licking their lips”
    “this sport of professional bike racing”
    “you have to ride at the front”

Or when someones ‘great bike handling skills’ are down to him ‘being a former mountain biker’

heard this so many times!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s gone 10 here no need for a game

barrykellett
    Free Member
    allthepies
    Free Member

I like the Ventoux climb stuff from Liggett.

“Up here absolutely nothing grows” (camera shows riders passing a load of scrub/trees).

WackoAK
    Free Member

Completely agree, they are far too long in the tooth now.

I watched yesterdays stage on Eurosport and it was such a refreshing change not having they two muppets commentate.

zippykona

“dancing on the pedals” and ” he’s joined a select few.”

shifter
    Free Member

Love the pair of them, the Tour wouldn’t be the same without them.

Garry_Lager

barrykellett – Member

Sherwen and ligget bullsh*t bingo What’s the context of ‘ticket collector’? Can’t place that one.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Shot every time he says machine though

ocrider

That wasn’t the hex that sent Jean-Christophe Péraud out of the TDF perchance?

jamiea
    Free Member

How about “diesel engine”?

As per dknwhy, I certainly couldn’t describe blokes riding bikes for 5 hours a day everyday for 3 weeks and not repeat the odd phrase! But the pair of them do tend to trot out the same ones far too often!

Cheers,
    Jamie

njee20
    Free Member

I think my favourite Liggett quote so far this tour is, “the Manx missile has launched and when that happens, there’s no catching him…. and Kittel wins….”

I chortled at that.

I like them, they’re a seminal part of the TDF coverage for me, having watched it since the early 90s they’re all I know! I flirted with Eurosport when C4 dropped it and before ITV picked it up and Duffield and Kelly (I know it’s not them anymore) are far and away the biggest morons ever!

crazy-legs

David Duffield was the Murray Walker of road race commentary. Always wrong, always missing crucial information like “oh look, there’s an attack” cos he was too busy dribbling on about food and chateaux.

Carlton Kirby is very good, probably the best of the current batch. Sean Kelly is good once you get past the accent, he’s certainly amazingly knowledgable, it just loses a bit in translation sometimes. 😉
    And as actual presenters, Ned Boulting, Chris Boardman and Gary Imlach are superb.

Difficult job though, much as I like watching the Tour I couldn’t sit there for 6hrs every day talking about it. The most interesting ones to listen to are the quieter stages where they start talking about things other than the actual racing.

dazh

‘Job of work’.

Dissappointed I haven’t heard the mountain biker thing this year. Probably cos Cadel has been out of the reckoning.

ThePinkster

OK, so if Liggett & Sherwin are so long in the tooth and due to be put out to retirement who would you replace them with?

jamiea
    Free Member

Dissappointed I haven’t heard the mountain biker thing this year

Sagan has been thus described at least a couple of times on the highlights!

Cheers,
    Jamie

ahwiles
    Free Member

The Pinkster – Member

OK, so if Liggett & Sherwin are so long in the tooth and due to be put out to retirement who would you replace them with?

Warner and Page?

😀

richmtb

Warner and Page?

Now that would be good.

“Chris Froome descending is uglier than a lion raping a goat”

skiprat
    Free Member

They would be class. I bet viewing numbers would rocket!!

edlong
    Free Member

What I particularly enjoy is that, being a dramatic stage ending moment, it’s been, and will continue to be, shown a shedload of times. I can picture Liggett wincing every time. That makes me happy.

eskay

I like them. I grew up watching the tour with phil commentating.

Better than the bloke who did the giro. The number of times he said ‘ooooh hello’

ahwiles
    Free Member

or,

“**** me Nige, after a couple of hours, all these ****ing french villages all look the ****ing same.”

Warner would probably start his own drinking game, 1 bottle of beer for every pissed up Frenchie running up a mountain wearing only his pants – an extra bottle for every animal the Frenchie is carrying.

turq

Grew up watching Phil and Paul, back When all you had was the 1/2 hour highlights show, which they gave a great soundtrack to.

When Roache caught Delgado on the mountain top finish and Lemond v Fignon TT on the last stage were great commentary moments but over the years they seem to have lost some pages out of there quotes book and roll out the same phrases time after time ‘very select few’ being a particular non favourite.

Switched to Eurosport now and Carlton does a great job, supported by Sean Kelly, who sounds like he is playing the Paul and Phil drinking game whilst commentating…….good double act and massively knowledgeable.

ThePinkster

😆 loving the Warner & Page suggestion.

stever
    Free Member

‘clavicule’
    Poor old Peter Kenn-Arr/Ken-OR/Kenn-Ogg/Kenn-Yack must be having an identity crisis.

Keep em I say, still good value. Boardman, Boulting & Imlach are always good for entertainment and sneaky asides.

clubber
    Free Member

I have the same issues as most above with them and I really dislike Ligget for his lame defence of LA even when it was going beyond loyalty and trying to blame everyone else.

But… despite also having Eurosport, I prefer to watch their commentary. I’m not really sure why though. I guess maybe because I don’t think much of Sean as a commentator (though granted there is the odd jewel in there) and whoever he’s teamed with never seems much good either.

Ah, well, as above, I suppose that the muppets have almost become part of the tour.

clubber
    Free Member

How are you supposed to pronounce Kennaugh BTW? I can’t believe how they do it is right.

Lifer
    Free Member

Sean and Carlton ftw, and on this tour the Lampre drinking game is a lot easier.

clubber
    Free Member

Is the Lampre drinking game based on drinking whenever one of their riders is caught for doping?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

@richmtb PMSL 😆

stever
    Free Member

My Manx neighbour reckons Kenn-yock. I think, don’t quote me on that, nobody reads this do they?

Lifer
    Free Member

clubber – Member
    Is the Lampre drinking game based on drinking whenever one of their riders is caught for doping?

No, just when you see one on screen!

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

I loved Sherwen saying there has been a “massive distillery of the group” just after Liggett pointed out the field were “literally spreadeagled all over the road”.
    Wrong.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Carlton is good but Sean is awful-

C: “And just look at Contador accelerate as he tries to drop Froome- what do you reckon Sean?”

S: “fffmfmmhhhhhh- what?”

C: “What do you reckon to Contador’s acceleration?”

S: “Oh, I dunno. *mumble* I was snoozing. *mumble* ****. Yeah, look at him accelerating there.”

It’s like he doesn’t realise that he’s being paid to contribute, he only talks when Carlton prompts him, and when he does it’s unintelligible mumbling.

But yes, definitely the better combo, even if it’s only because they can pronounce the rider’s names without making an utter has of it. If I hear Kennaugh’s name hacked to bits with a verbal machete again I will kill someone.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Keep em I say, still good value. Boardman, Boulting & Imlach are always good for entertainment and sneaky asides

I like the “support cast” far more than Waldorf and Statler, who are the Bruce Forsyth of cycling. Liggett can’t even get riders names right, usually he’s an entire bloody generation out. Sherwen uses “and you know” and “in this, the sport of professional cycling” as punctuation in between the groan-inducing cliches.

I grew to despise them during the LA debacle, both are close friends, business partners and basically paid-up henchmen of LA. Liggett was a vociferous denier right up until Oprah asked the questions, and they’ve made a fortune off the back of LA and the dubious Livestrong organisation (paid to give speeches at motivational seminars, which is where Livestrong spent most of its $450m, only spending ~$20m on research). And this when theyre not counting the profits from their (co-owned with LA) African gold mine, which I’m sure is a paragon of human rights, excellent conditions and a workers’ cooperative spirit, and not the embodiment of hateful western exploitation. Sorry, just fell off my soapbox typing….

http://road.cc/content/news/74348-phil-liggett-says-lance-armstrongs-accusers-were-motivated-jealousy

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/lancearmstrong/9810988/How-Lance-Armstrongs-dwindling-band-of-backers-reacted-to-his-doping-confession.html

The ITV4 podcast is entertaining; Boulting, Boardman and Rendell have real chemistry, I think B and B are genuine friends (they rode Ventoux together before the racers came through and apparently go running a lot). Imlach is very dry and arch, Boardman is comically direct and quite happy to totally undermine or contradict on-air (which Imlach takes in his stride).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Liggett / Sherwen drinking game?’ is closed to new replies.