• This topic has 10 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by wl.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Lifting the seals on 55RC3s – any tips?
  • wl
    Free Member

I need to lift the seals on my 2010 55s in order to lubricate the felt ring underneath, but there’s no little square hole for a screwdriver blade, and no lip to lever upwards. Anyone got any tips for doing this without causing damage. I’ve been told it’s a tricky thing to do. Ta for any help.

seanodav
    Free Member

They come up really easy once you get underneath, try butter knife?
    i have 2010 model and mine has an indent strangely enough ❓

seanodav
    Free Member

Ok just checked mine to take a photo and i must of dreamt the indent as i dont have one either.
    However ive never had trouble lifting the seals with a small screwdriver wrapped in tape, just wiggle it underneath.
    Cant do much damage to the seal at point you are levering just be carefull the driver doesnt slip up the stanchion

wl
    Free Member

Cheers seano – I’ll give it a go carefully.

wl
    Free Member

Seanodav – seals popped off easily using a bit of pressure and the blunt edge of a normal table knife. No damage, absolute doddle. Thanks for the advice.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Did mine yesterday, I cut the foam rings out and put greased between oil and dust seals. Very big improvement in smoothness.

wl
    Free Member

I’ll see how I get on with newly lubed felt rings. How come they put them in if it’s cool to remove them – do they serve any useful purpose?

seanodav
    Free Member

left mine in and lube was enough, just do them now and then. It’s also a good chance to have a look to see if any shite has got past

jimr80
    Free Member

Are you guys using fork oil to lube them. If so what weight?

seanodav
    Free Member

used float fluid in mine, partly because i had some and partly because thats what fox use when doing theirs

wl
    Free Member

Same as seanodav here I think. It was that blue Fox stuff from a small, squishy syringe-shaped tube thing. LBS said this should be fine. Seems to have done the trick – forks feel plusher now.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Lifting the seals on 55RC3s – any tips?’ is closed to new replies.