Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Lifespan of a carbon road fork
  • Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Look HSC3 full carbon fork on a road bike I’ve had and used regularly since 2003 – never been in a crash, but there are a few minor scrapes and a bit of marking on the steerer tube from the stem.

The bike has recently developed a creaking noise when I climb out of the saddle, and while I understand this is more likely to be the bars/stem, it has got me wondering about how safe the forks are.

Thoughts?

parkesie
    Free Member

Will be fine untill face says hi to tarmac 🙂

jamesr
    Free Member

Look offer – or at least used to – a factory examination of their forks if you had reason to doubt their integrity.
    I sent some hsc3 back, they wrote them off and supplied a new pair at trade.
    No idea if they still do this; we’re probably going back six or seven years.
    For what it’s worth, they’re a top class mono bloc fork so they’re probably fine.
    Then again, when you start to worry about them…..

Scarcat67
    Free Member

I also had some creaking front end…replaced headset plenty of grease, checked stem bolts etc (also changed bottom bracket at same time)….turns out it was the quick release on the front wheel not done up tight enough !!

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

jamesr – cheers for that, sounds interesting.

Can you remember how you arranged for the inspection?

globalti
    Free Member

Once you’ve done that, buy a rattle can of clear lacquer and give it a couple of coats; it will come up like new.

crikey
    Free Member

Check your lower headset bearing for standy uppy creaks.

jamesr
    Free Member

I did it direct through the UK importer, which, from memory, was Big Bear in London.
    It’s now Fishers, so it might be an idea to start there.
    As I said, it’s a while ago but they were very helpful.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Lifespan of a carbon road fork’ is closed to new replies.