Life or death strava question

Home Forum Bike Forum Life or death strava question

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Life or death strava question
  • Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Just make a new segment, done a couple when a similar thing happened.

Premier Icon jimdubleyou
    Subscriber

DL the GPX of your ride, and edit it to put you behind where strava thinks the startline is.

Re-upload.

DickBarton

Dl – download.

If it was a time ride then go by that rather than strava…

jonba

I know the results will be on CTT but it would be nice to have my name on there on the strava leaderboard. Not the first time this has happened in a HC, not sure how to stop it though.

There is another race later in the season on the same hill. Suppose it will give me some more motivation!

DickBarton

Don’t stand so close to the segment start until you have to race…

jonba

Don’t know if this is fixable but it is the second time it has happened now.

I do Hill climbs. Today I did one and went under 4 minutes- something only three people have done in the history of strava and the event.

I came second, which is a touch grating in itself but I was beaten by a better rider. To rub salt in the wound strava has decided that it took me 5 minutes to do the segment because I was near the start line and it thinks I crossed it. I can’t change or start a new segment. I was wondering if there is another way to fix it? Thought about cropping the ride and uploading twice?

Any clever strava people know?

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Trying to work out why you can’t just make a new the segment, I hit about 5 slightly different versions of the same thing locally on some.roads.

bob_summers

There is / was a website that enabled you to repair a segment with a GPS error for example, and reupload it to Strava. I used it loads of times when I was more bothered about such things, but can’t remember what it was called. If it comes to me, I’ll post it up.

bob_summers

Just remembered. It was called SNAP (Strava needs a polish) but doesn’t seem to exist any more.

Some of the suggestions here might be useful

Singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/is-it-possible-to-edit-a-strava-route

lustyd

Strava records what happened. Stop moaning, get out there and do it properly in 4 minutes. All this talk of creating new segments is crazy, the race/segment is what it is, if you took five minutes you didn’t win – don’t make up your own new start line just to get a medal or you’ll turn Strava into school sports day where everyone wins their own special event!

jonba

Race shape seems to have gone.

Strava doesn’t record what happens in HC and TT, the time keepers do. I have an official time, as I said, it would be nice if strava reflected this.

Eddiethegent

Just use Fitfiletools to crop out the unwanted portion.

Please don’t make a new segment!

DickBarton

Just learn where the segment starts and ends and go ride it again, same effort and you’ll be up there.

philjunior

Ride again or accept that the race result is the true reflection of your speed. Editing beyond cropping the ride is clearly cheating and setting a new near identical segment is just annoying.

butcher

I hear where you’re coming from. Our local 10 is a Strava segment, and it would be nice not to have an extra 30 seconds or so on it at the start… Mainly just so you can look back at your times and know they’re accurate.

You could crop the file before uploading. Strava even has a crop feature, but not all that accurate. Not sure there are many options other than that.

danbo

Just accept that Strava is horribly inaccurate anyway. Just run two gps devices at the same time for proof.

Roter Stern

It doesn’t matter!

FunkyDunc

Next time start your computer when you start rather than a minute before?

Or as already said go back and do it again, you should be quicker as you can start at 20mph

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Just crop the beginning bit. Or can you not crop enough of but still include the segment?

Don’t create a duplicate, that’s just stupid.

oldnpastit

Isn’t a GPX file just a text file (well, XML) ?

Bring it up in your favourite text editor(*), change whatever needs changing.

(*) i.e. vim.

jonba

I tried cropping out the segment but when I remove enough that I get to the start properly it doesn’t pick up. I did manage to fix the official course segment by cropping it into 2 rides to remove the dodgy bit then sticking back together. Time matches the one on the board.

I record my whole days riding in one shot. Rode out as a warmup, climbed then did an interval session. So most editing options are made more complex.

danbo – Member
    Just accept that Strava is horribly inaccurate anyway. Just run two gps devices at the same time for proof.

Too heavy for a HC.

FunkyDunc – Member
    Next time start your computer when you start rather than a minute before?

You move to the start line at 30s to go. You get held and the timekeeper counts you down. Normally start the garmin at 10 to go. At that point I’m on the hoods ready to sprint when he says go. Not practical to start the garmin then sprint.

DickBarton

For the extra 2 seconds it should be fine. I get the impression you are more bothered about Strava results than the actual result. Plenty of suggestions made but you need to get a mate to hold you so you can redo the ride. If doing intervals after the hc it doesn’t sound like you gave it your all, so do it again and enjoy taking the kom (and letting all the Strava people know that you went 100% this time and not the time before).

CraigW

Strava segments should start a bit after the actual start line, and finish a bit before the actual finish. Otherwise it won’t match everyone’s rides correctly.
    GPS inaccuracies could mean you are missing from the results. Or it can include a lot of extra time if you are stopped at the start (as in your example).

Useful guide here: https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216918227-Optimizing-Segment-Creation-how-to-create-good-segments

federalski

Go ride it again with a run up. Easy.

Trimix

You do know it’s Strava, it really doesn’t matter.

What matters is riding with your mates.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

He doesn’t say how bothered he is – just a simple question about Strava. Don’t think he’s looking for lifestyle advice.

Premier Icon Larry_Lamb
    Subscriber

Trimix – Member
    You do know it’s Strava, it really doesn’t matter.

What matters is riding with your mates.

Obviously you’re rubbish at Strava.

jonba

molgrips – Member
    He doesn’t say how bothered he is – just a simple question about Strava. Don’t think he’s looking for lifestyle advice.

😉

I came second, which is a touch grating in itself but I was beaten by a better rider. To rub salt in the wound strava has decided that it took me 5 minutes to do the segment

Strava doesn’t record what happens in HC and TT, the time keepers do. I have an official time, as I said, it would be nice if strava reflected this.

Race results matter, everything else is just a bit of fun. Still doesn’t stop me from wanting to fix it though.

Thanks to those who offered advice on fixing it. And “thanks” to those who offered lifestyle advice.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.